Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Chris Smith, DE, Arkansas has signed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Per the team's Twitter page.

"DE <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/98ChrisSmith'>@<b>98ChrisSmith</b></a> makes it official
."

allright Telvin Smith should be up next.

I think Dave & Co. decided they were going to follow the Chicago model and get their guys signed as quickly as possible as opposed to the old mindset of waiting until July. 

Quote:I think Dave & Co. decided they were going to follow the Chicago model and get their guys signed as quickly as possible as opposed to the old mindset of waiting until July. 
I remember the early days of the franchise when every draft pick would be signed by June 1 and the team would announce all the signings at once.

Not entirely sure what happened to change that, but I'm glad the new CBA takes all the nonsense out of the rookie contracts.
Quote:I remember the early days of the franchise when every draft pick would be signed by June 1 and the team would announce all the signings at once.

Not entirely sure what happened to change that, but I'm glad the new CBA takes all the nonsense out of the rookie contracts.

Yeah, those were the good old days. 

It's nice to see some sanity returning to the process.
Quote:I remember the early days of the franchise when every draft pick would be signed by June 1 and the team would announce all the signings at once.

Quote:Yeah, those were the good old days. 

It's nice to see some sanity returning to the process.

I think Coughlin had some of those draft classes signed before they got off of the plane from New York.
There isn't a huge rush to sign these guys but there's no real reason to delay a lot either. CBA pretty much dictates their salary so not much negotiating involved.
Quote:There isn't a huge rush to sign these guys but there's no real reason to delay a lot either. CBA pretty much dictates their salary so not much negotiating involved.

Best to get them signed quickly so you can focus on developing them.  Get the business out of the way so the focus is on football from this point forward.
I like signing them early instead of later. Agents get crazy ideas while waiting.

well I'm all for getting guys signed fast but glad Jags did't sign a certain wide receiver ealier back in 2012.