Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars.com LIVE this week is worth a watch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This week's installment was an interesting one worth a half hour to watch. 

They spent time going over the stadium renovations and where things stand currently, but they also talked to Toby Gerhart.  Most of the interview was fairly boilerplate, but the one nugget I found interesting was that he was talking to Cleveland, San Francisco (old coach in Harbaugh), San Diego (hometown), and Jacksonville.  He chose the Jaguars over those markets after talking to other players, and then meeting with the team.  He said, "The thing about Jacksonville is there is this energy."

He confirmed that Coach Bradley influenced his decision to come here, and that other players in the league are taking notice of what's happening here.  Guys actually want to come here to play for Gus.

So did he reveal which of those teams were offering him more money than he signed for here? You know, since it was about the coach and the energy and not how much money he was getting paid.

Quote:So did he reveal which of those teams were offering him more money than he signed for here? You know, since it was about the coach and the energy and not how much money he was getting paid.
No he didn't but he did day there was a player who he wouldn't give name but the player said that football had gotten boring to him for a couple yrs and then he comes to Jags Coach Bradley made it fun again. GUSjuice!
Quote:So did he reveal which of those teams were offering him more money than he signed for here? You know, since it was about the coach and the energy and not how much money he was getting paid.
No, but clearly you're one of those who doesn't buy into the notion that along with the money, it couldn't possibly be a selling point to have a  coach like Bradley at the helm.  If we'd actually overpaid for Gerhart, your attempt to play the skeptic might hold some water.  We didn't.  So, keep flailing away if you need something to be negative about.

We slightly overpaid. If he's a 1.200 12 TD rusher then we got a steal.
Quote:We slightly overpaid. If he's a 1.200 12 TD rusher then we got a steal.

We didn't pay him for what he did in Minnesota.  They paid him to be the starting RB for this team.  His contract isn't unreasonable at all.  It's pretty cheap actually for a starting RB. 

3 years, $10.5 million with $4.5 guaranteed?  That's nothing compared to what other starting RBs around the league are getting.  This is a deal that pushes him to prove himself.
If you would have watched it you could have answered your own question........Oh I see, it wasn't really a concern at all was it? Just a extremely weak attempt at a back handed jab. Got it.
Quote:If you would have watched it you could have answered your own question........Oh I see, it wasn't really a concern at all was it? Just a extremely weak attempt at a back handed jab. Got it.

Pretty much. 

To the point, while money certainly plays a part, Gerhart was talking to his former college coach, and his hometown team.  He opted to go cross country to play for the Jaguars over those options, which had to be awfully appealing.  Even if the money was less, it couldn't have been that significant of a difference. 
Quote:If you would have watched it you could have answered your own question........Oh I see, it wasn't really a concern at all was it? Just a extremely weak attempt at a back handed jab. Got it.

I don't have time to watch it.

I've heard a lot of players talk about a lot of reasons for signing in a lot of places, I've never seen one say what it really was - how much they got paid.

I don't have a problem with Gerheart or how much the Jaguars signed him for. I just don't believe for a second coach Gus had anything to do with him choosing to sign here.
Quote:I don't have time to watch it.

I've heard a lot of players talk about a lot of reasons for signing in a lot of places, I've never seen one say what it really was - how much they got paid.

I don't have a problem with Gerheart or how much the Jaguars signed him for. I just don't believe for a second coach Gus had anything to do with him choosing to sign here.

I love it when someone just needs to inject negativity into a situation because it's what helps them thrive. 

More than one player has attributed their interest in coming here to the coach.  Nobody is saying it's the ONLY reason, but it is absolutely a factor for some of these guys.  You're welcome to think otherwise, but when player after player says it, you're looking pretty foolish.  That's certainly your prerogative.
Quote:I love it when someone just needs to inject negativity into a situation because it's what helps them thrive. 

More than one player has attributed their interest in coming here to the coach.  Nobody is saying it's the ONLY reason, but it is absolutely a factor for some of these guys.  You're welcome to think otherwise, but when player after player says it, you're looking pretty foolish.  That's certainly your prerogative.

Talking to a player about why he signed somewhere is like asking a woman how many men she's been with, it's just an invitation to be lied to.

I can understand wanting to believe someone when they're telling you what you want to hear, but some of us are just mature enough to understand the game.
Quote:Talking to a player about why he signed somewhere is like asking a woman how many men she's been with, it's just an invitation to be lied to.

I can understand wanting to believe someone when they're telling you what you want to hear, but some of us are just mature enough to understand the game.

I like how you worked in the denigrating, sexist comment there! You don't see that too much these days.
Quote:I like how you worked in the denigrating, sexist comment there! You don't see that too much these days.
You have it backwards. It's others that would place a value on such a number, it's mature people such as myself that understand a woman is a woman at every moment of her life and it doesn't change with the number of people she's been with.

Congratulations on outing yourself as having some issues, though.
Quote:You have it backwards. It's others that would place a value on such a number, it's mature people such as myself that understand a woman is a woman at every moment of her life and it doesn't change with the number of people she's been with.

Congratulations on outing yourself as having some issues, though.

So, she's gonna lie about the number according to the scenario that you just put up and I'm the one that has issues. I don't follow what you're saying.
Quote:So, she's gonna lie about the number according to the scenario that you just put up and I'm the one that has issues. I don't follow what you're saying.

Maybe she's lying, or maybe she doesn't recall some of them, or just estimates wrong, or reels bad about how many people she's been with for some reason. In any case even asking such a thing of someone is degrading and pointless. Kind of like asking a player why they signed for a team. It comes across as if they're just greedy and money driven if they say why they really signed, so they spout off stuff about how much they like the coach or the direction of the franchise.
Quote:Maybe she's lying, or maybe she doesn't recall some of them, or just estimates wrong, or reels bad about how many people she's been with for some reason. In any case even asking such a thing of someone is degrading and pointless. Kind of like asking a player why they signed for a team. It comes across as if they're just greedy and money driven if they say why they really signed, so they spout off stuff about how much they like the coach or the direction of the franchise.

Wow. Who knew that journalism was such a degrading occupation that shows the question asker to have issues. I never realized that.
Quote:Wow. Who knew that journalism was such a degrading occupation that shows the question asker to have issues. I never realized that.

The journalist is just doing a fluff piece. They're the proxy for fans that would listen to an interview like that and come away believing they were just listening to something of substance.

I don't blame a journalist for doing their job just like I don't blame Gerhart for answering dishonestly. It's just a dance.
Quote:I don't have time to watch it.

It seems to me like I have heard more than one player say something similar, including some of the rookies.  More and more it looks like players actually want to come and play here.  That speaks volumes when they're talking about a team that went 4-12 last season.

Some of us are just mature enough to understand that it's not always just about the money.
Quote:Talking to a player about why he signed somewhere is like asking a woman how many men she's been with, it's just an invitation to be lied to.

I shure do wish you'uns wud post moor regalar lahk, I dun lernt me moor in ten minits bout wimins an dem foottball player fellers then moma dun tot me all dem yeers bak home.

<eye roll>
Doesn't have time...still on thread after 30 minutes.
Pages: 1 2 3