Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Why Henne is starter!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've read most of the posts on this site and there are many opinions on when Blake will take over for Henne. The coaches have said Henne is the starter so it's all over the board on which week if any Blake could get the starting job. What I don't remember seeing is this scenario:

By naming Henne the starter now Blake will get the most playing time in the preseason by being the backup. Our coaches should know after 4 games whether Blake should start week one or not.

Maybe Blake's ready but the o-line isn't, so you sit him until they gel.

The O-line is good but Blake isn't ready, so you sit him till he's ready.

Blake plays well and O-line protects him, so he is our starter week 1 and never looks back.

Personally I hope it's the last scenario and Blake shows us he is the franchise QB. Just imagine next years draft without needing a QB. One more draft/free agency and we are a very good football team with depth and no holes to fill. Just my 2 cents, but seems very plausible.

Your thoughts,

Bleeding Teal Jags Fan

Bortles behind a line that has 4 new starters = recipe for disaster

The only way Blake should be anywhere near the field week1, is if Henne is in a body cast!!!! He needs to sit and learn, he needs to practice and learn, he needs to read and learn, he does not need to go out behind a line which is taking its first steps together and get killed. We will not be drafting a qb next year, because we will have a healthy Blake Bortles ready to go week 1 and many many weeks after that.

Good point, he will get more time in the preseason because of it. 

Quote:Bortles behind a line that has 4 new starters = recipe for disaster

He is going to play behind those guys eventually, so whether he gets knocked down or not it is just a matter will the linemen come pick him up when he needs it.  That being said, starting Henne is the way to go for so many good reasons.

I'd go so far as to say if Henne goes down with injury go pick up a QB off the street.
I think everyone is asking too much if they think Blake will have intimate knowledge of the playbook by September. He has to have the thing mastered, on top of correcting some mechanics, and adjusting to the NFL level of football.

He could surprise us all and do that very thing, but the coaches aren't going to assume he will, and are ready to hold him out until he does.

It's called smart coaching, and looking toward the future.

Quote:I think everyone is asking too much if they think Blake will have intimate knowledge of the playbook by September. He has to have the thing mastered, on top of correcting some mechanics, and adjusting to the NFL level of football.

He could surprise us all and do that very thing, but the coaches aren't going to assume he will, and are ready to hold him out until he does.

Agreed.  They're going to make every effort to allow Bortles whatever time is necessary to be comfortable out there.  They aren't rushing him out in September, and probably not any time before the bye week.  Even then, I think it really depends on what's happening with Henne.  If he's playing well, and the team is competitive enough, I think they'll continue to sit Bortles.  There's absolutely no reason to rush this thing.
It would be great if your last scenario were the case...however, I haven't won the lottery yet and I figure the odd's are pretty similar to your last scenario. We will have an offensive line with rookies on it, and that means lots and lots of pressure on the quarterback. Who would you rather have back there getting pounded; your rookie quarterback on whom you're hang'in your future hopes for a franchise, or the veteran workhorse who is only signed for two years? It really isn't a good idea to put a rookie in a high stress situation where you know, you know, they are going to be coming after him like a pack of hungry dogs after a pork chop. Combine that with a line that hasn't jelled yet and you're looking at a recipe for disaster. Remember that guy that used to be here as a rookie quarterback... think his name was Blaine Gabbert. That's pretty much what happened to him and we all know how that mess turned out.

I'm not comparing Gabbert to Bortles by any means; that's two completely different individuals. But what I am saying is we wouldn't want to put Bortles back there until he has at least a half-way decent line in front of him. He's a big guy as quarterbacks go, but he's not indestructible either.

Henne knows the score here. We want as many wins (obviously) as we can get; but his main function is to fill that spot until our offensive line gels and Bortles is up to speed as a NFL quarterback.

Bortles has no business playing unless Henne goes down. Henne knows how to take a beating. He's been on some pretty bad teams with really bad blocking. And even then, Morris has more experience in a pro style offense. UCF ran a lot of spread IMO.

Bortles, as someone stated, playing style similar to tebow. He just doesn't have the obvious ugly throwing motion. Comes from a elementary spread one read offense
Quote:Bortles, as someone stated, playing style similar to tebow. He just doesn't have the obvious ugly throwing motion. Comes from a elementary spread one read offense
Does it come easy to spout out moronic statements, or do you put a lot of work into it?  Have you ever considered life alternatives to dedicating all your time and energy to just hating on something? Have you tried a job or a girlfriend? Maybe a hobby? Life is too short to put this much time and effort into being a complete jackwagon. Surely you can't be a happy person.
Quote:Bortles, as someone stated, playing style similar to tebow. He just doesn't have the obvious ugly throwing motion. Comes from a elementary spread one read offense
You need to hook up with the blowing smoke thread op
Quote:Does it come easy to spout out moronic statements, or do you put a lot of work into it?  Have you ever considered life alternatives to dedicating all your time and energy to just hating on something? Have you tried a job or a girlfriend? Maybe a hobby? Life is too short to put this much time and effort into being a complete jackwagon. Surely you can't be a happy person.
I'm going to guess that the job/girlfriend options would be a bad idea. Probably would have some pretty bad endings.
Quote:Bortles behind a line that has 4 new starters = recipe for disaster

Unfortunately this is true.

One thing about Henne though, for all the things he isn't, he has been tough and durable while with the Jags.
We needed another one of these threads.

Who knew?

Quote:I think everyone is asking too much if they think Blake will have intimate knowledge of the playbook by September. He has to have the thing mastered, on top of correcting some mechanics, and adjusting to the NFL level of football.

Agreed 100%. There is a reason they used to bring rookies along slowly in the old days. Our line will need time to come together. Putting Bortles in now is counter-productive.
Quote:We needed another one of these threads.

Who knew?

It was time to double down.
Quote:It would be great if your last scenario were the case...however, I haven't won the lottery yet and I figure the odd's are pretty similar to your last scenario. We will have an offensive line with rookies on it, and that means lots and lots of pressure on the quarterback. Who would you rather have back there getting pounded; your rookie quarterback on whom you're hang'in your future hopes for a franchise, or the veteran workhorse who is only signed for two years? It really isn't a good idea to put a rookie in a high stress situation where you know, you know, they are going to be coming after him like a pack of hungry dogs after a pork chop. Combine that with a line that hasn't jelled yet and you're looking at a recipe for disaster. Remember that guy that used to be here as a rookie quarterback... think his name was Blaine Gabbert. That's pretty much what happened to him and we all know how that mess turned out.

I'm not comparing Gabbert to Bortles by any means; that's two completely different individuals. But what I am saying is we wouldn't want to put Bortles back there until he has at least a half-way decent line in front of him. He's a big guy as quarterbacks go, but he's not indestructible either.

Henne knows the score here. We want as many wins (obviously) as we can get; but his main function is to fill that spot until our offensive line gels and Bortles is up to speed as a NFL quarterback.
nor would I if line not good option #1
Does it make sense to sign another veteran quarterback, along with Henne?

The ideal scenario is to let Bortles sit on the bench and work on his mechanics/learn the playbook,while Henne starts. But what if Henne gets hurt early in the season?
Quote:Does it make sense to sign another veteran quarterback, along with Henne?

The ideal scenario is to let Bortles sit on the bench and work on his mechanics/learn the playbook,while Henne starts. But what if Henne gets hurt early in the season?

denard Robinson comes in and switch to a wishbone offense
Pages: 1 2