Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Top 10 NFL offseasons...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Jaguars make the list, according to this analyst:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...offseasons

I concur.

Quote:Jaguars make the list, according to this analyst:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...offseasons

"Laughing Stock"
I might even have the Jags higher on that list than they do. 

Not sure I'd have Tampa @ 1. I don't see what the gushing is all about. They made some good moves, yeah, but I don't expect an instant turnaround from them based off of the moves they made this offseason, as a matter of fact, I'm not even sold on Lovie long term there. They still have QB questions, serious ones. 

Denver gets overrated as usual since jug head took over. Dream team 2.0. Regarding the Bucs, Lovie Smith was fired because he couldn't get the Bears over the hump. Tampa has been on the slope for years. I don't see Lovie being able to get TB over the hump when he couldn't do the same for the Bears with a much more talented roster.
Quote:I might even have the Jags higher on that list than they do. 

Not sure I'd have Tampa @ 1. I don't see what the gushing is all about. They made some good moves, yeah, but I don't expect an instant turnaround from them based off of the moves they made this offseason, as a matter of fact, I'm not even sold on Lovie long term there. They still have QB questions, serious ones. 

I agree we should be higher than #4. Most likely, the reason for Tampa Bay's ranking is the Buccaneers had to also hire a coach and general manager, not just draft and sign new players. That said, I still would not put them at #1 because they wasted money on ugly uniforms. The writer obviously exaggerated how good the changes were. So far nobody knows much about the Licht/Smith relationship and Lovie keeps flipping about the quarterback depth chart. But I do think they hired the right coach.

The Broncos also are ranked too high. Not penalized for signing Emmanuel Sanders, but penalized for not drafting Marqise Lee? That does not make any sense. Denver was smart to pick Bradley Roby at #31 after having the NFL's worst pass defense and cutting Champ Bailey. (Roby was projected to go in the second half of Round 1, so  that was a short fall for him.) Of course, I am happy they got Roby and we got Lee.

Where would you rank the Jaguars? I can't imagine any other team did better than us. Everybody gives us an A for the draft. The only reason we do not have Alex Mack, who was offered $42 million over five years, is the Browns had enough money to match our offer sheet, so I give Dave Caldwell credit for trying as hard as possible to get him out of Cleveland. They could match it because they are further under the salary cap than us, so not getting him was out of our control.
Here is our analysis:

4) Jacksonville Jaguars

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);"> 

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">So many nice moves by GM David Caldwell and Co. this spring. Re-signing veteran quarterback Chad Henne was important for the Jags, even with the eventual selection of Blake Bortles. Acquiring defensive linemen Chris Clemons and Red Bryant -- both familiar with head coach Gus Bradley from their Seattle days -- makes a former weakness almost a strength. Adding Toby Gerhart to the backfield was solid. Then Jacksonville went out and had a great draft. Some say they reached on Bortles, but what were they supposed to do -- hope he lasted to the second round? He was their guy, so they pounced.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);"> 

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);"><b><i>Nothing is perfect ...</i></b>

This whole Justin Blackmon thing just reeks of blown opportunity for franchise and player. Sounds like the Jags' organization has already moved on. We'll see.

I would give Tampa #1 just because they get rid of Greg Schiano. Also like most of their other moves this offseason (especially Mike Evans and ASJ), but I'm not sold on Josh McCown as a starter. Yes, he had a good half season with Bears, but that's more on Marc Trestman IMHO.

I also think giving Cutler a 7-year extension will hurt Chicago in the future.
Quote:I would give Tampa #1 just because they get rid of Greg Schiano. Also like most of their other moves this offseason (especially Mike Evans and ASJ), but I'm not sold on Josh McCown as a starter. Yes, he had a good half season with Bears, but that's more on Marc Trestman IMHO.

Ranking an offseason requires looking at the overall picture and everything they did. You are crazy if you think one decision makes a team have the best offseason.
Quote: 

absolutely agree here. 
Quote:I might even have the Jags higher on that list than they do. 

While I am not a huge Mike Evans fan, I can see the Tampa offense making huge strides from last year.

If Evans is at least decent, he and Jackson will be matchup nightmares for opposing secondaries, especially in the red zone.

Austin-Sefarian Jenkins is a credible enough threat from the TE spot to attack the seams.  Herron is a good slot guy.

Combine that with Glennon having a year under his belt, I could see the Bucs offense being formidable.
Quote:While I am not a huge Mike Evans fan, I can see the Tampa offense making huge strides from last year.

If Evans is at least decent, he and Jackson will be matchup nightmares for opposing secondaries, especially in the red zone.

Austin-Sefarian Jenkins is a credible enough threat from the TE spot to attack the seams.  Herron is a good slot guy.

Combine that with Glennon having a year under his belt, I could see the Bucs offense being formidable.

I like Mike Evans too...

I'm just talking about the entire Bucs offseason. Its good. I just don't see where they did so much as to earn the #1 spot. 

They have major QB questions, IMO. I don't see any long term answer at the position on the roster. Also not all that big of a Lovie fan as a head coach. He'd fall into the "decent" category....not terrible. He had a helluva defensive roster in Chicago when that team made the SB...also the NFC was in a weaker phase at that point, too. IMO.

Quote:Ranking an offseason requires looking at the overall picture and everything they did. You are crazy if you think one decision makes a team have the best offseason.

A 7 year lucrative contract for a starting QB has more weight in the evaluation process than most of the other off-season team decisions combined.  
I would have put Jags at 2 but it happens. I think in terms of excitement and upside we are far and away number 1. Have u ever seen so much media coverage and good vibes for this team??? I'm excited GO JAGS!!!

I don't understand why Baltimore made the list. All they've added is their draft picks and an over-the-hill WR.