Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Chris Smith DE on with Dempsey on Jaguars Today on 1010XL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good to be back on the field.  Thought it was crazy how many fans were out there during rookie camp.  

In non-contact drills, he works a lot on his technique/fundamentals, especially his hands.

He loves the coaching staff, and feels blessed to have great coaches here in Jacksonville.  He loves the way Gus keeps the energy level up.

He's in the right system where he can go and rush the passer, and he's going to work hard to exceed expectations.

He feels playing in the SEC really prepared him to play in the NFL.  

Regarding his 6'1" height, how does he overcome the disadvantage?

He said he's short but he has long arms.  He looks at Dumerville and Mathis and how they fight hard, getting off the ball, and that's what he tries pattern his play after.

He said the the veterans are already stepping in and helping him.

Areas he needs to improve:

Knowing the playbook and relating that to the field

Technique - Everyone in the NFL is good, so it comes down to making sure he has his technique down because they are all good athletes in the NFL.  He has to be a student of the game.

What does he do outside of football?

He likes to relax.

He's a big music guy.  His mom was a choir director in the church, and he played drums.  Thats what he grew up doing.

Is there anyone he wants to model his game after?

Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.  Guys who work hard and get after the passer.  He said he was working on his spin move his senior year to be more like Freeney.  

He's never been in a place where all of the coaches are so energetic.  He says the coaches are all about having fun, and getting better, keeping tight, and taking care of the team.  Play for the name on the front of your jersey and not the back.  

About Telvin Smith and the energy he plays with:

He said he sees why FSU won the championship.  He's a vocal leader who keeps everyone on the defense energized.  He never gets tired.  He goes from sideline to sideline with his energy.  

Both Smiths can be solid contributers

Quote:Good to be back on the field.  Thought it was crazy how many fans were out there during rookie camp.  

In non-contact drills, he works a lot on his technique/fundamentals, especially his hands.

He loves the coaching staff, and feels blessed to have great coaches here in Jacksonville.  He loves the way Gus keeps the energy level up.

He's in the right system where he can go and rush the passer, and he's going to work hard to exceed expectations.

He feels playing in the SEC really prepared him to play in the NFL.  

Regarding his 6'1" height, how does he overcome the disadvantage?

He said he's short but he has long arms.  He looks at Dumerville and Mathis and how they fight hard, getting off the ball, and that's what he tries pattern his play after.

He said the the veterans are already stepping in and helping him.

Areas he needs to improve:

Knowing the playbook and relating that to the field

Technique - Everyone in the NFL is good, so it comes down to making sure he has his technique down because they are all good athletes in the NFL.  He has to be a student of the game.

What does he do outside of football?

He likes to relax.

He's a big music guy.  His mom was a choir director in the church, and he played drums.  Thats what he grew up doing.

Is there anyone he wants to model his game after?

Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.  Guys who work hard and get after the passer.  He said he was working on his spin move his senior year to be more like Freeney.  

He's never been in a place where all of the coaches are so energetic.  He says the coaches are all about having fun, and getting better, keeping tight, and taking care of the team.  Play for the name on the front of your jersey and not the back.  

About Telvin Smith and the energy he plays with:

He said he sees why FSU won the championship.  He's a vocal leader who keeps everyone on the defense energized.  He never gets tired.  He goes from sideline to sideline with his energy.  

This is the first time I have actually read that one of our new defensive player wants to mold him self after a HOF player. And practices an effective move like Freeny's spin move. Refreshing! I hope he can do it!!!
the first highlight I saw from Smith I saw a sick spin move.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5a-N62hOhw

And I actually thought "wow, haven't seen any of our D-lineman do that" and instantly thought of Freeney.

Hopefully he's half the player Dwight was.

Quote:the first highlight I saw from Smith I saw a sick spin move.....

And I actually thought "wow, haven't seen any of our D-lineman do that" and instantly thought of Freeney.

Totally agree. If Chris can be a rotational ball of energy type of player that would be awesome. Anything more would just spoil the hell out of me. 
Quote:the first highlight I saw from Smith I saw a sick spin move.....

Yeah, when he brought up the spin move, I was thinking the same thing. If he aspires to be like a Freeney, let's hope he gets there.
Chris Smith is the perfect prototypical DE project. Especially for LEO. He fits the size model to a T and seems to bring the desired passion and energy to want to better his craft. If Coach Walsh and Gus get a chance to bring out his full potential watch out.
Quote:Chris Smith is the perfect prototypical DE project. Especially for LEO. He fits the size model to a T and seems to bring the desired passion and energy to want to better his craft. If Coach Walsh and Gus get a chance to bring out his full potential watch out.

Agree, even though he's relatively short he does seem like he could be that LEO.  He's got long arms and is relentless.  He'll be a guy to watch in TC and pre-season.
Quote:Agree, even though he's relatively short he does seem like he could be that LEO.  He's got long arms and is relentless.  He'll be a guy to watch in TC and pre-season.

He's definitely one of the guys I really want to get a look at in the preseason because I don't think we'll get a strong sense for his impact until he's actually hitting someone.  We've seen training camp warriors who look like pass rush monsters in training camp who completely vanish once the lights go on.
If anyone gets the chance watch his Draftbreakdown of the Texas A&M game against Matthews. He does get shut down alot against a top flight prospect but he also uses that nasty spin move and would have nailed Manziel twice beating Matthews with it only to have Johnny escape at the last second.