Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jerry Sullivan on with Dempsey on Jaguars Today on 1010XL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Jerry Sullivan is on now with Dempsey on 1010XL. 

His philosophy is to work on receivers footwork first since that's what helps these guys get open.  He said he can teach them how to catch the ball later, but the footwork is like putting together a ballet.  It's pure choreography, and the footwork has to be precise in order to become a good receiver.  Catching the football is the easy part.
He re-molds receivers.  Even the best receivers he's coached have fought him, but in the end, they see his vision and they develop into better receivers.

He's coaching technique football and not assignment football.  His philosophy has always been to dwell on the technique part of the game, and the assignment will take care of itself.

Robinson can drop his weight for a big guy.  Both he and Lee need to work on controlling their footwork.

He's always been a task master, and he's had players who have fought him in the past, but he always wins in the end.

He referred to Mayock and "all the cats on TV" as babbling for hours.  He doesn't try to categorize players as #1 or #2.  He doesn't care what media perception is.  He doesn't label a player until he has time with them.

He looks to see if a guy can cut, change direction, adjust to the football, plays instinctual football, is he a road map guy, does he understand the concept of what you're trying to teach mentally?

Thanks for the updates.

One thing I noticed during the draft, when they showed the team cam. Jerry Sullivan was right there with Caldwell, Khan and Kyle O'Brien. I think it shows the level of respect they have for him.

He considers Cecil a 3rd year receiver because he didn't coach him his first year.

He likes the challenge of coaching younger players because they're eager, haven't gotten too much notoriety, and still have a little bit of humility.  He likes molding them to be good at what they do early in their career over trying to unteach older players.

He's not concerned about the group he has now.  They will be productive.

He trusts Gus' philosophy, he trusts Jed's play calling, and he trusts himself as a teacher.

Thought it was neat to see all the fans come out this weekend.  It all goes back to the word of Gus and Dave.  Also credited Mark Lamping and Shad Khan for creating a level of excitement around the team.

They all recognize that they need to make progress.  He wants to see good things happen for the good of the team, the city, and for the guys he's coached.

Quote:Thanks for the updates.

One thing I noticed during the draft, when they showed the team cam. Jerry Sullivan was right there with Caldwell, Khan and Kyle O'Brien. I think it shows the level of respect they have for him.

Sullivan is probably one of my favorite coaches this team has ever had. He's just an interesting guy to watch on the field with the players.  He really is a teacher at heart, and you can see that by the way he works with the guys. 
Quote:Sullivan is probably one of my favorite coaches this team has ever had. He's just an interesting guy to watch on the field with the players.  He really is a teacher at heart, and you can see that by the way he works with the guys. 

Sullivan gets a lot of kudos.  I'm really not familiar with him.  What do you like about him, and what are his main accomplishments?
I'm also curious about the status of Joeckel.  Haven't been able to find anything on him.

Who will be in charge of BB's development?

Thanks for the updates.  Doesn't look to be much fun to argue with coach Sullivan.

Quote:Thanks for the updates.  Doesn't look to be much fun to argue with coach Sullivan.

Doesn't seem to be much of a point in doing so either.  In the end, the proof is in the pudding.  He's coached some pretty productive receivers over the years.
I heard a little bit but was working.  Thanks for the recap.  Sullivan sounds like (and is) a pro's pro.

Did they bring up Blackmon?

Quote:Did they bring up Blackmon?

Nope
Thanks for the play by play Smile I really do like Sullivan, He knows what he is doing. Cant wait for all the pay off Big Grin

Quote:Did they bring up Blackmon?

Who dat?
Quote:He considers Cecil a 3rd year receiver because he didn't coach him his first year.

I loved that part of the interview.  Brought a few chuckles, but he was dead serious.

After hearing him speak I've got even more respect for the man.

It's hard to find someone as confident as he is (and for the right reasons, that he's built a system of teaching that he's confident in and gets such high performing results.)
Here's a good article on Sullivan's career. The man has fought adversity his entire life and truly is, as CA put it, " A pro's pro".

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/...-4-decades
Quote:I loved that part of the interview.  Brought a few chuckles, but he was dead serious.

After hearing him speak I've got even more respect for the man.

It's hard to find someone as confident as he is (and for the right reasons, that he's built a system of teaching that he's confident in and gets such high performing results.)

He has a resume to stand behind, and he's proud of it.  I thought it was funny to hear him talking about his preferences as far as coaching older vs. younger players.  He likes to get them before the ego takes over.
Pages: 1 2