Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Workout Players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Jaguars are bringing in 27 players to practice with the team during their minicamp. I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about any of them...

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...68f36302f5

I noticed that OT Jimmy Bennett is 6'9". That's basketball player height; I can't think of another football player this tall.

Altogether they're working out 5 FS/CBs, 4 Interior Linemen, 4 DEs, 3 LBs, 3 SSs, 2 WRs, 2 OTs, 2 DTs, 1 RB and 1 FB.

If Greg Childs hadn't destroyed his patellar tendons, he'd have been a good WR for Minnesota. He's 6'3'', ran a sub 4.4 forty, and has a 40+ inch vertical. 

Jimmy Bennett is actually 6'7 1/2. The Patriots got an OT named Nate Solder, who's over 6'8.

Regardless, 6'7 1/2 is still a big dude

Quote:Jimmy Bennett is actually 6'7 1/2. The Patriots got an OT named Nate Solder, who's over 6'8.

Regardless, 6'7 1/2 is still a big dude

Indeed. I was thinking about everyone checking out the new workout players and imagining them all noticing Jimmy along with OT Kyle Bryant.

Three guys with some NFL experience in that group...Childs, Caldwell and Price.

Caldwell was a 3rd or 4th round pick for Houston, Price a 2nd for Tampa who IIRC had a really hard time coping with the death of his sister, and Childs came up with the Vikings.
Bears waived DT Brian Price.

Per FOX Sports' Jay Glazer, Price's release is due in part to his struggle to "get past the recent passing of his sister." Price's sister was killed in a May automobile accident. Acquired from the Bucs in July, Price is just two years removed from being a second-round pick.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5620/brian-price
Quote:Bears waived DT Brian Price.

Per FOX Sports' Jay Glazer, Price's release is due in part to his struggle to "get past the recent passing of his sister." Price's sister was killed in a May automobile accident. Acquired from the Bucs in July, Price is just two years removed from being a second-round pick.

Harsh
I watch a lot a Nevada games so what I can tell you about Wimberly is he is a big possession receiver. Probably too slow to make it in the NFL (4.8 40), but is a decent route runner with reliable hands. Biggest thing about him is how hard he works. He was shot in the abdomen in 2010 and everybody thought his football career, and maybe life was over. He remarkably came back to football in 2012 and totaled about 1,800 yards in his last two seasons. Probably not even good enough to make the practice squad, but definitely a good guy to root for.
Quote:Harsh

As fans we tend to forget the human beings behind the facemasks, numbers and roster spots. One guy devastated by the tragic loss of his sister. Another guy trying to come back from two major knee injuries. Either one of these guys stories could make them easy to root for. There is no telling what other stories are in similar lists around the league. It is unfortunate most of these guys won't get that break.
Eagles signed that Ranger who's 6'9/270lbs. Dont think rookie hazing will be an issue for him.
Quote:Bears waived DT Brian Price.

He's done an awful lot of auditioning since then.
Quote:As fans we tend to forget the human beings behind the facemasks, numbers and roster spots. One guy devastated by the tragic loss of his sister. Another guy trying to come back from two major knee injuries. Either one of these guys stories could make them easy to root for. There is no telling what other stories are in similar lists around the league. It is unfortunate most of these guys won't get that break.

Agreed. 
I'm rooting for Spencer Shuey. All he did was make plays at Clemson. Not eye popping, sexy plays, but plays that stopped a run from turning into a big gain or stopped a QB from extending the play. His measurables are what stopped him from being drafted IMO, but his football IQ is really high. He would be a solid backup to poz
Randy Ponder was a walk on corner from Mizzou who his sophomore year slotted in the nickel before starting at CB2 opposite EJ Gaines for the last two years.  Does nothing real special, but was consistent enough to keep the number two corner spot over some promising freshmen and sophomores at Mizzou.
Quote:If Greg Childs hadn't destroyed his patellar tendons, he'd have been a good WR for Minnesota. He's 6'3'', ran a sub 4.4 forty, and has a 40+ inch vertical. 

Would be awesome if Childs finally recovers from his injuries and lives up to his true potential before he got hurt.
Quote:Would be awesome if Childs finally recovers from his injuries and lives up to his true potential before he got hurt.

If he did, it would still be very hard for him to make this team.

You figure at least 4 spots are taken:  Shorts, Lee, Robinson and Sanders.

That would leave, at most, two slots at WR.

I am rooting for guys like him and Price.  But I know the odds are slim.
I could see a guy like Spencer Shuey become a guy like Russell Allen

Quote:If he did, it would still be very hard for him to make this team.

You figure at least 4 spots are taken:  Shorts, Lee, Robinson and Sanders.

That would leave, at most, two slots at WR.

I am rooting for guys like him and Price.  But I know the odds are slim.

I would make room for a recovered and healthy Greg Childs as our 5th receiver...because a recovered and healthy Greg Childs has the potential to be a #1 receiver in the NFL.

Quote:I could see a guy like Spencer Shuey become a guy like Russell Allen

Hopefully for another team. We don't need any Russell Allen's.
Quote:Hopefully for another team. We don't need any Russell Allen's.

I used Allen as an example of an undrafted rookie LB making a team and sticking around for a few years.

Also, I don't think Allen is a bad player as your 5th LB for example.  He shouldn't be starting, but he's not bad as a back-up.
Pages: 1 2