Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell "wants Cecil Shorts here long term", have had discussions about new deal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Quote:<div>Dave Caldwell tells me #Jaguars want Cecil Shorts here long term, have had discussions about new deal.

— Hays Carlyon (@HaysCarlyon) May 13, 2014

</div>

Seems like he is in the long term plans.
But, we can get a 2nd or 3rd for him in trade, right?  This is just talk to gin up his trade value.

Don't see how he can demand much. I think the jags can re-sign for cheap
Quote:But, we can get a 2nd or 3rd for him in trade, right?  This is just talk to gin up his trade value.
Although i'm excited about Lee and Robinson, neither have proved anything. Cecil hasn't lit the world on fire, but he's been playing alongside Henne with minimal weapons (besides when Blackmon plays). I hope Shorts sticks around long term pending on what type of deal he wants.
Good, I hope he returns to 2012 form, a true homerun hitter. Last year was underwhelming.
If it were gene smith, he'd pay shorts just like he paid Mike Thomas and Lauren robinsob
I can see re-signing him for a deal slightly less than Eric Decker's contract on the caveat that he can stay healthy this year.
Quote:Although i'm excited about Lee and Robinson, neither have proved anything. Cecil hasn't lit the world on fire, but he's been playing alongside Henne with minimal weapons (besides when Blackmon plays). I hope Shorts sticks around long term pending on what type of deal he wants.

I wouldn't expect his demands to be off the charts.  This team has more than enough money to give him a fair deal that everyone can live with.
If healthy(key) I think Cecil is for sure a 1k a year receiver if not 1.5. He has the drive IMO but his health has let him down.

Speaking of Gene Smith, what is he doing now? Didn't Oesher, Sexton, and other media people say he wouldn't be unemployed for very long. They made it sound like he would have another NFL job within weeks of his firing.

Lock him up long term on an average contracts so that when a real QB gives him big numbers we get a steal. 

I would still test his market value before I resigned him long term. He has still yet to prove he can be a #1 option or stay healthy for a full 16.

Quote:Speaking of Gene Smith, what is he doing now? Didn't Oesher, Sexton, and other media people say he wouldn't be unemployed for very long. They made it sound like he would have another NFL job within weeks of his firing.

He's still being paid by the Jaguars as far as I know.

There is a place for Gene in the league as a scout.  Just don't let him make the final decisions on who plays on your team.
I agree...him staying healthy seems to be questionable. I do, however, like his talent.

Quote:I would still test his market value before I resigned him long term. He has still yet to prove he can be a #1 option or stay healthy for a full 16.

I doubt they will pay him like a #1, or a guy who has been a consistent 1,000 yard receiver, or a guy who has played multiple full seasons.  Doubtful this is a blockbuster deal we're talking about here. 
Quote:If healthy(key) I think Cecil is for sure a 1k a year receiver if not 1.5. He has the drive IMO but his health has let him down.
To be fair when he gets injured he usually gets blown up by a DB, like that hard hit from the Patriots safety (Forgot that bums name) where he clearly targetted his head.

Patrick Chung I believe
Quote:I doubt they will pay him like a #1, or a guy who has been a consistent 1,000 yard receiver, or a guy who has played multiple full seasons.  Doubtful this is a blockbuster deal we're talking about here. 

It's probably going to be pretty good money, since he would be giving up his right to test his market value. Extensions like these are a pretty big gamble for both parties.
He's developed well under Sullivan. I have high hopes for Lee and Robinson
I think Cecil at 1, Robinson at 2 and Lee/Sanders in the slot would be the best way to go about it. 

continuity is good sometimes. 

Pages: 1 2 3