Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bradley on other potentially targeted players in the draft
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Today on 1010 xl, Gus Bradley joined Mike Dempsey and discussed the Jaguars draft.  One particular comment he made was regarding "a couple of players (the Jaguars) targeted went off the board right before our pick."  I decided to pull up which players went off the board right before our pick to see who he might have been talking about.  I left out the picks where we traded up as we were obviously going up for a specific player in those situations.  Here they are:

Greg Robinson OT went before Bortles in Round 1.  Doubtful he was coveted as much as Bortles per reports.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE went before Lee in Round 2.  It's possible they were thinking TE here and WR in the third or trading back up into the 2nd like they did.

Andre Williams RB went before Colvin in Round 4.  It's possible they were thinking RB earlier in the draft and had Andre taken out from under them.  Though if they are confident Colvin will recover fully, then this was apparently very good value here.

Kadeem Edwards OG went before Telvin Smith in Round 5.  I would say this is doubtful that we would covet another guard after trading up for one earlier in the draft though who knows.

Caraun Reid DT went before Chris Smith in Round 5.  I suppose it's possible Reid might have been equally valuable to us, though we hadn't taken anyone to play LEO in this draft prior to this point so perhaps not.

Tyler Gaffney RB went before Luke Bowanko in Round 6.  Again, it's possible we were looking to address the RB position prior to Round 7.  It sounds like Brewster is the front runner to start at Center this year but that will play itself out in training camp and the pre-season, but this seems like one of the more likely picks that Bradley may have referenced as having a targeted player gone right before we picked.

Randall Johnson OLB went before Storm Johnson in Round 7.  Not sure about this one.  People here seem high on Storm Johnson but that could just be because he's now a Jaguar.  He had some odd tweets about haters hating on people changing and then said he worked too hard not to change.  My first thought was that he's assuming he's arrived and will be paid even though 7th round picks are far from guaranteed to make the team.  I could be wrong in my interpretation so I'll withhold judgement and continue hoping things work out for him.  Either way, I wonder if the Jags were equally high or even higher on Randall Johnson.

I'm sure the front office is happy with the draft as of right now.  Sure, we'll never know with certainty if Bradley was just talking in generalities or whether he had specific picks in mind where a guy we might have taken went off the board right before our pick, but the comment was still interesting and might be fun to speculate over.  Who do you think he might have been talking about?

I was just about to make this same thread! Thanks for starting this conversation.

Quote:...

Greg Robinson OT - I don't think Robinson was their guy. The team has gushed about Bortles way too much for me to think that they ranked Robinson over him.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE - I'm not buying this one either. He doesn't have the attitude that they seem to like and I doubt they would take a guy like that in the Second.

Andre Williams RB - This one I can see, especially considering that they took S. Davis in the Seventh. Kinda glad that they didn't draft him though, guy has a lot of wear on his tires.

Kadeem Edwards OG - I agree with your assessment, I don't think they would have taken a Guard again.

Caraun Reid DT - This is the one that got away in my opinion. Even I was upset when he went off of the board as he had Senior Bowl familiarity with the staff. I would have liked to have him on the roster.

Tyler Gaffney RB - No to this one. They brought Bowanko in for an interview and drafted him. I think they had a target on Luke's back the whole time.

Randall Johnson OLB I think they were hell-bent for leather for a RB so I don't see them going after Johnson.

My guys are Williams the RB and Reid the DT.

I am not so sure. I think he might have went by same position. I could be wrong but that is my thinking.

Yeah, the first round pick was never going to be Robinson. If Bortles had have gone they'd have called Atlanta and took the trade offer from them from earlier in the week.

The only reason they didn't trade down was the fact that Caldwell felt the Browns would take him.

Didn't Trai Turner go before Linder? That's one guy I could imagine they had their eye on.
Quote:Didn't Trai Turner go before Linder? That's one guy I could imagine they had their eye on.

Yeah but we traded up for Linder.  Unless you're suggesting that they were hoping Turner fell further and when he was gone, panicked and traded up to take the next highest rated Guard?  I don't get that Caldwell is the type to panic, but we'll never know either way.
Love this draft class, i do study a lot of actual tape. I would say we had an A draft. the one guy i think we missed out on is maybe Jace Amaro. He is a guy you could use a lot like Jimmy Graham. Its up in the air thou on who i would rather him or Marquise Lee

1) Bortles - I don't think Gus was referring to this pick for obvious reasons.

2.) Lee - Gus and Dave stated they were trying to trade up for this pick so this one isn't what Gus is talking about.

3.) Robinson - They traded up for this pick so you can exclude this one as well.

4.) Linder - Gus or Dave stated they traded up for him because there was a run on the guards that they like.  Trai Turner and Chris Watt seem like the obvious two they were looking at, but Gabe Jackson and Spencer Long went at the beginning of the round, although I don't think they are the right kind of fits.

5.) Colvin - I think, as they stated, they were targeting Colvin.  If they weren't, possibilities could be Russell Bodine, Bryan Stork, and Cassius Marsh.

6.) Smith - I don't think there was anybody they were really targeting here, but possibilities could be Prince Shembo, Larry Webster, and Lorenzo Taliaferro.

7.) Smith - This might be the most obvious one.  You can be assured that they were looking at Caraun Reid, Lamin Barrow, and Avery Williamson.

8.) Bowanko - I doubt there was anybody they were mourning about losing here at the end of the 6th.

9.) Johnson - Same as Bowanko.

Players I think they were likeliest to be the Jags pick should they have been there:

1.) Lamin Barrow

2.) Avery Williamson

3.) Trai Turner

4.) Chris Watt

5.) Caraun Reid