Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Lets take a look at our defense post draft
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
DLine- Clemons, Bryant, Marks, Alualu, Hood, Babin

LB - Smith, Hayes, Watson, Pozlunsky

Secondary- Cyphrien, Gratz, Evans, Guy, Ball, Colvin

Id say we are middle of the pack. Still need a pass rusher and a shutdown corner. The rest I can live with.

Our LBs are going to be lights out. #strongestlink
I forgot Mike Harris in the secondary.

We have like 4 FSU defenders.
you also forgot branch, and chris smith on the DL lol

Just naming the mainstream guys.
It should be average-ish, especially without the offense giving the ball back every 2 minutes. To take the next step the draft next year has to be defense heavy in the first 3 rounds (like how this one was offense heavy). We need to get our Earl Thomas in the first round (no, I don't think Josh Evans is going to develop into that, he'll be serviceable for this year but for that secondary to get Seattle-level good we need a player like Thomas at FS), I want us to draft a ILB and DE with the second and third round picks to infuse some more young and talented blood into the front seven. If we get those things accomplished I think we'll be just one more good draft and FA period away from an elite defense.

Quote:DLine- Clemons, Bryant, Marks, Alualu, Hood, Babin

LB - Smith, Hayes, Watson, Pozlunsky

Secondary- Cyphrien, Gratz, Evans, Guy, Ball, Colvin

Id say we are middle of the pack. Still need a pass rusher and a shutdown corner. The rest I can live with.

Our LBs are going to be lights out. #strongestlink
i would say FS is still our biggest needd
It is. We need our Earl Thomas. It's why Seattle's secondary is as good as it is. An elite FS in this defense ascends it to the next level, and we already possibly have a better version of Kam Chancellor in Jonathan Cyprien. No offense to Chancellor, but Cyprien is a far better talent and his first season compared to Chancellor's shows that.

Quote:i would say FS is still our biggest needd

I forgot who mentioned it the other day, but someone floated the idea of Colvin playing FS.

I have been fascinated with the idea ever since, and I think once he's healthy, he could play that Earl Thomas role.
Quote:I forgot who mentioned it the other day, but someone floated the idea of Colvin playing FS.

I have been fascinated with the idea ever since, and I think once he's healthy, he could play that Earl Thomas role.

I hadn't really thought about it, but that really is an interesting perspective considering the Gus connection. 

If they moved him to FS, he really would fill the role similar to what Thomas has done in Seattle.  He's a little longer than Thomas, but he's also lighter.  But he's got similar speed and coverage ability. 
Colvin does have experience playing safety so him playing FS isn't really out of the realm of possibility
Quote:I hadn't really thought about it, but that really is an interesting perspective considering the Gus connection.

If they moved him to FS, he really would fill the role similar to what Thomas has done in Seattle. He's a little longer than Thomas, but he's also lighter. But he's got similar speed and coverage ability.
and he can hit.. Given he needs to put on maybe 10 ibs.
Quote:and he can hit.. Given he needs to put on maybe 10 ibs.

Yeah, the weight thing is a concern, but it sounds like he dropped weight after the injury.  They'll bulk him up.
Colvin is a definite talent. I would rather bring him along slowly and make sure that his knee is 100% before letting him see the field. I believe in taking a conservative approach and putting this young man in a position to succeed. IMO the best case scenario for Colvin is to let him sit out the year and get ready to show what he can do next year.
Quote:Yeah, the weight thing is a concern, but it sounds like he dropped weight after the injury. They'll bulk him up.
I was actually thinking we were talking about Telvin Smith playing FS.. My bad I suppose Colvin could too.. So many new shiny options! So exciting.
Quote:I was actually thinking we were talking about Telvin Smith playing FS.. My bad I suppose Colvin could too.. So many new shiny options! So exciting.

Something that has been lacking on this roster for a while now is options.  Hopefully, we're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Sure feels like it.
Quote:Something that has been lacking on this roster for a while now is options.  Hopefully, we're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Sure feels like it.

last few seasons if a starter went down, we had guys coming from arbys to play the position. 
Quote:. We need our Earl Thomas.  

I get what you're saying, but every team in the league is looking for an Earl Thomas, just like everyone was looking for an Ed Reed before him.   They come out every ten years.   They're a "nice to have", but if you're counting on finding one before fielding a great defense be prepared to wait a really long time before you field a great defense. 

I think the Jags just need depth in general.   They need to continue to collect man press CBs, and they also need to stock up on long athletic angular LB who can also bend the corner as a pass rusher.   That's one difference I see between Jax and Seattle, Jax doesn't have near the length and physicality at the linebacker position that Bradley had in Seattle with Wagner, KJ Wright and to a lesser degree Irvin.   Poz and Hayes are undersized guys who get by on effort, but the LB corps needs a higher degree of physicality before they can bully people like the Seahwawks do on the second level and seams.   Wish Branch could be a KJ Wright clone, but I think he's too physically limited as an explosive athlete.