Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles is our Brady....WHAT?!?!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I was not a huge Bortles fan pre draft. However, I recently watched The Brady Six again, and I couldn't help but notice that Brady was exactly like Bortles. Obviously, Blake has the bigger build for his size, but the pre draft analysis is pretty similar. 

The positives for both are/were:

Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. 

The negatives for both are/were:

Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed.

If you watch the Brady six you will notice Tom wasn't even really suppose to start at Michigan, but what pushed him into that job especially his final two seasons was his knack for keeping his team in games and he would usually win. That ability has followed him to the NFL as well. That knack is also I have seen in Blake as well as this past season he had 6 comeback wins when the team was down at half time and 4 of those games ended up being 4th quarter comebacks as well (Memphis, Louisville, Temple, and USF)

Another piece of information I found interesting from that documentary is that Brady from the outside looking in played better than Bledsoe through training camp and pre-season, but they decided to give Bledsoe the starting job anyway because Brady still lacked polish and was inexperience. This information caught my eye because of the plan we have in place for Blake. Though I felt that if/when Bortles outplayed Henne in camp preseason he would get the nod as starter it probably wont be the case as he will still need further development with footwork and other mechanics. So while he might be the best QB with the eye test making him still sit for a year (barring injury to Henne) could be the best thing for this franchise.

I think once Bortles gets on the field he will have that same poise and composure he had in college and also be able to display his knack for comeback wins. Thoughts?

The reason I don't want to throw Bortles out there from game 1 is because the coaching staff will have enough to deal with already, with all the rookies and new players out there.  With a rookie QB in addition to almost a whole new offensive line and new WRs, it could be a disaster.   Get the WRs up to speed, running the correct routes, get the offensive line in sync, pass blocking effectively (which takes time), and THEN put Bortles in.  

As for a comparison to Brady?   Let's not get carried away.   Brady is a sure fire hall of famer, probably one of the top 5 of all time.    I'm just hoping Bortles is a top 10 or top 15 QB in the current group.  

Henne will get knocked out of the game early in the season, Bortles will come him and take away his job and lead us to the Super Bowl.  Awesome.

Quote:The reason I don't want to throw Bortles out there from game 1 is because the coaching staff will have enough to deal with already, with all the rookies and new players out there.  With a rookie QB in addition to almost a whole new offensive line and new WRs, it could be a disaster.   Get the WRs up to speed, running the correct routes, get the offensive line in sync, pass blocking effectively (which takes time), and THEN put Bortles in.  

As for a comparison to Brady?   Let's not get carried away.   Brady is a sure fire hall of famer, probably one of the top 5 of all time.    I'm just hoping Bortles is a top 10 or top 15 QB in the current group.  

I am just saying pre-draft he compares to Brady, one could only dream that Blake goes to 5 superbowls and wins 3 of them....
Quote:Henne will get knocked out of the game early in the season, Bortles will come him and take away his job and lead us to the Super Bowl.  Awesome.

Just FYI, that didn't happen until the year after Brady was drafted during the 2001 season.
Let's just take a deep breath and be happy we got the best QB in this draft.  Maybe he'll be good enough to set his own standard at some point.

I'm as excited as the next guy about what the team is doing but let's not get too carried away here with the Brady/ Bortles comparisons.  Then again, maybe I'll start drinking that spiked Teal Cool-Aide with you!
Quote:Let's just take a deep breath and be happy we got the best QB in this draft.  Maybe he'll be good enough to set his own standard at some point.

Quote:<div>
I'm as excited as the next guy about what the team is doing but let's not get too carried away here with the Brady/ Bortles comparisons.  Then again, maybe I'll start drinking that spiked Teal Cool-Aide with you!

</div>

.....again pre-draft not post draft.

It's nice to think that he could be Brady, but there's obviously so much time and variables that could play into his career, that I rather wait and see before making any kind of prediction. I'm excited for the possibilities though. I prefer Bortles to sit as much as he can this year, get some polishing done, and to learn what Fisch wants to do. But, if push comes to shove, I don't mind him starting at some point this season. 

The parallel would be hilarious if it did bear out.

Peyton and the colts spent some years in the AFCE getting slapped down by Brady and the Patriots, I'd love for Bortles and the Jaguars to be to Luck and the colts in the AFCS what the Pats were to the colts in the AFCE.

Quote: 

<div> 

.....again pre-draft not post draft.

</div>

Still, it's the kind of hype that sets a high bar that can be challenging. 
Quote:It's nice to think that he could be Brady, but there's obviously so much time and variables that could play into his career, that I rather wait and see before making any kind of prediction. I'm excited for the possibilities though. I prefer Bortles to sit as much as he can this year, get some polishing done, and to learn what Fisch wants to do. But, if push comes to shove, I don't mind him starting at some point this season. 

I want him to sit the whole year now. Even if he looks better than Henne in training camp and pre-season I would prefer he sit....unless his mechanics looked polished as well.
Bortles will never take a real game snap as a Jaguar. Morris will beat him out before it ever comes to that.

Quote:The parallel would be hilarious if it did bear out.

Peyton and the colts spent some years in the AFCE getting slapped down by Brady and the Patriots, I'd love for Bortles and the Jaguars to be to Luck and the colts in the AFCS what the Pats were to the colts in the AFCE.
That would be awesome and hilarious Smile
Quote:Bortles will never take a real game snap as a Jaguar. Morris will beat him out before it ever comes to that.

Laughing I needed the laugh
Quote:Still, it's the kind of hype that sets a high bar that can be challenging. 

I don't think so. If I said he will be like Brady that would be something else. I just think as a developmental prospect he is like Brady.

He already has high pressure. If he doesn't win a superbowl or break a lot of records he is going to be considered a bust.....Its just how it works for QBs esp when they go in the top 3 picks.

Quote:Bortles will never take a real game snap as a Jaguar. Morris will beat him out before it ever comes to that.
Morris has the strongest arm of the Jaguar QBs.  He is a threat to beat out Henne and sieze the job which would force a trade of Bortles down the road.
As long as Bortles can throw a deep ball that cuts through the wind in 7 degrees Farenheit at Gillette Stadium, I'm good.

Well the Patriots were planning on drafting Bortles in the first round as a clear successor to Brady, so they must have seen something.....

Bortles has both the tangibles and intangibles to be spectacular. But he has to put the work in..
Pages: 1 2