Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Whats really got me excited about the Bortles pick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There have been many leaks coming out that other teams had him as their top rated QB. First there was a report that other top 10 teams were coveting him. Then it was revealed that Belichik would have taken him if he fell into the 20s. And yesterday Bruce Arians said that Blake was the only franchise QB in the draft.

I may have thought Teddy was better but when so many respected NFL people think differently they are the ones who are probably right. Sounds like we got the right guy. 

10 years ago, we took Reggie Williams 2 picks before Big Ben was drafted by Pittsburgh. We just redeemed ourselves with Big Ben 2.0.

The Jaguars got the guy they feel will be their starting QB for the next decade at least.  That's enough to get excited about.  Trusting that they're right, the turnaround may actually accelerate. 

That's why when you like a qb you just take him. No reason to risk missing out because you are looking for maximum value.
Quote:The Jaguars got the guy they feel will be their starting QB for the next decade at least.  That's enough to get excited about.  Trusting that they're right, the turnaround may actually accelerate. 

Yeah, the fact that Dave Caldwell valued him the most in the end means the most. 

I get the OP's point that it just cements it when you hear that kinda stuff too, i.e. for me it was hearing that QB guru Bruce Arians cited Bortles as "the only franchise QB in this draft".....

Caldwell however, is really earning himself some benefit of the doubt as his reputation increases/ improves. 
They got their franchise guy.  That is what matters. 

When the Jaguars drafted Gabbert, they never really touted the pick as such.  We never saw the owner, GM, or head coach gushing over the player in the way they did when he arrived in Jacksonville.  After landing him, they could barely contain their excitement.  That speaks volumes.

Quote:They got their franchise guy.  That is what matters. 

When the Jaguars drafted Gabbert, they never really touted the pick as such.  We never saw the owner, GM, or head coach gushing over the player in the way they did when he arrived in Jacksonville.  After landing him, they could barely contain their excitement.  That speaks volumes.
Mularkey and Gene Smith had no emotions.... ever.

After watching the Draft Academy... I am loving Lee and Bortles even more. Lee has an awesome personality and Bortles LOVES to compete.
Quote:Mularkey and Gene Smith had no emotions.... ever.

After watching the Draft Academy... I am loving Lee and Bortles even more. Lee has an awesome personality and Bortles LOVES to compete.

Bortles competitive streak is shown with the many late comeback victories, including the Bowl game. Its definitely an important attribute for a QB. 

Their enthusiasm trickled down to the field and the fans, didn't it? 

It's nice to have a little excitement.
At least the Jaguars addressed their issues. :yes:

Quote:At least the Jaguars addressed their issues. :yes:

Starting with the most important one of all. 
Quote:Their enthusiasm trickled down to the field and the fans, didn't it? 

It's nice to have a little excitement.

After months of near aspiration on Gus Juice, I'm happy dealing with a mere trickle of enthusiasm for a change.

One thing about Bortles is you can tell he will keep his emotions in check.

He's a cool customer. You could see it in his games, you can see it in the draft build-up.
Gene Smith has done a number on a lot of fans.  The psychological abuse that we've taken from the Gabbert selection may not have been intended.  But so many Jags fans (and I'm so glad that there are not many of them here) close their ears to other teams saying that Bortles was the top QB of the class.  They'll continue with their story that we could have traded down to #9 and still gotten him.  That we should have taken Sammy Watkins in a draft that was as deep as the atlantic at WR.  That we should have taken Khalil Mack, a guy who's rise was mostly due to a single game.  And of course there's the name.  "With a name like Bortles, how can he succeed?"   Maybe they should have asked John Hadl that question.  

Some people have even suggested we wait until Round 2 and draft Derek Carr!  (Never mind that the Raiders took Carr ahead of us)

I said if we got one of the big 3 QB's, I'd be excited.  It's hard not to be.  QB is one of those positions that if you draft one in the first round, the excitement just comes naturally.

Quote: 

Some people have even suggested we wait until Round 2 and draft Derek Carr!  (Never mind that the Raiders took Carr ahead of us)

....never mind that Carr will likely be garbage in the NFL.... :whistling:

New to the message board and UCF season ticket holder and alum (I assume you will be seeing a lot of us in the near future), our message board is pumped about the Jags this year.  Just a synopsis of what I got to see from Blake the last 2.5 years:

1. Calm, cool composure

2. You were NEVER out of a game.  Even down 3 score to UL he lead the charge back

3. Clowney had 0 sacks against him and was virtually a non factor. 

4. He never goes backwards on a sneak, so any 3rd or 4th and 1 was an automatic 1st down.

5. He never hit a plateau, he was always better than I remembered him. 

6. Great in the community

7. Great Spokesperson
And here come the knights.
Quote:That's why when you like a qb you just take him. No reason to risk missing out because you are looking for maximum value.
^^This
Quote:They got their franchise guy.  That is what matters. 

Really gratifying, isn't it?  Happy days are here again.
I've seen Caldwell quoted as not liking next year's QB crop, so if he didn't get Bortles this year, it may have been another two years before we had a shot at someone that could be the guy that he actually liked.  Hopefully Bortles has the potential that they are telling us he does and that he can be a top 10 QB consistently.  I think we'd all be happy with that.

Pages: 1 2