Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: I honestly want us to sit Bortles the whole year and secure another top 10 pick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know some people are against sitting him for too long but I really wouldn't mind it. With the talent on offense we added on offense I think even with Henne we can win 6-7 games. Give Bortles the whole year to sit and learn and get used to NFL speed and let Henne Henne it up and secure us another top 10 pick heading into 2015. We'll have artificially held ourselves back and with another year picking in the top 10 and the amount of cap space we have for next year as well the talent on this team on both sides of the ball could be loaded, especially if Caldwell pulls off another draft like this. 

We'll be way better than our 6-7 win record makes us look, especially if Blackmon comes back, and I could see us seriously competing for a Super Bowl in 2016.

Randy Gregory ftw
^ Speaking of which, i like how this guy assumes we'll have the number 1 pick next year for no reason, when we didn't even have it this year.

http://huskercorner.com/2014/05/11/huske...pick-2015/

Start him when he's ready.  Don't sit him just so you can get a higher draft pick.  If he's ready to play, it'll be good for him to have some film to study of his habits in an NFL game.  It's year 2, no holding back for a higher draft pick.  We've got who Caldwell thinks will be our next QB.  

The only reason to "tank" would be to get your QB. We already have him, according to Caldwell.

I'm sick of picking in the top 10. 

Dumbest thread of all time
Quote:Dumbest thread of all time

Did you miss the 'Laughinstock' thread? 
Basically, I agree. I want one of two outcomes from this season. I either want to see us picking in the top 10 again for most of the reasons you said, or I expect a playoff spot. I don't want one of those years where we just miss out on the playoffs, because then not only did we miss the playoffs, but we are drafting about as late as you can in the draft having nothing to show for your season. 

I think we're past the point of tanking now. Caldwell has had enough time with this roster and has acquired enough draft picks/FA signings to where we should be expecting a competitive team even with Henne out there. Picking around 10 is certainly reasonable since we probably aren't top half of the league yet, but we should be seeing results now.

I think we should hope to see the best record possible because that means that if we're that good with Henne, we'll be really good when Bortles is ready. But I certainly see your point about artificially suppressing the record by throwing henne out there. I support that to a certain extent (as long as he isn't so terrible that he stunts the development of our young WR's)
Quote:I think we're past the point of tanking now. Caldwell has had enough time with this roster and has acquired enough draft picks/FA signings to where we should be expecting a competitive team even with Henne out there. Picking around 10 is certainly reasonable since we probably aren't top half of the league yet, but we should be seeing results now.
I said 6 or 7 wins.
I kinda think we miss the top 10 picks, I think we hit around 12 or something.

Quote:The only reason to "tank" would be to get your QB. We already have him, according to Caldwell.

I'm sick of picking in the top 10.

This.. This team has had a top 10 pick for more years then Id like to acknowledge. Its time for this team to string together some wins. To tank a season now with the weapons we have is a complete insult to the competence of this front office. That's like saying that you have no faith in your front office to get the players you need to be competitive. This front office is pure genius across the board. If the 2013 draft and free agency didn't prove that, the 2014 draft and free agency damn sure should have.
Randy Gregory would be an ideal LEO. Man would it be nice to find a way to land him.

I didn't know 6 or 7 wins equated to tanking.

I agree although I don't see us getting a top ten pick next season.  The Jaguars are good enough to at least get the 2 spot in the AFC South. I suspect 6 to 9 wins and possibly making the playoffs thru the wild card spots.

Henne should do well this season. Let Bortles sit and develop. This is one major issue I had with Blaine Gabbert. He was rushed right in and never had many good players around him. Complete opposite with Blake Bortles.

No more tanking talk. Everyone and their brother thought the world of Teddy and how he was a lock for #1 and we had to pick first yet look at the fall he took. You can never predict the future with a prospect. So just win, baby.

Quote:I didn't know 6 or 7 wins equated to tanking.
Not anywhere in that post did I say the word tank. You guys are making that up on your own. Tanking is 2-4 wins.
You must not have season tickets.
Leave
I'll agree that I don't want Bortles starting until they are absolutely confident that he's ready. 

I wouldn't start him until week 8-10 at the earliest. 

Pages: 1 2