Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Let's put the arm strength debate on Blake Bortles to rest.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
In this video he is making NFL type throws and his arm strength to me is andrew lucks and he is doing just fine in the NFL. 

It's not an arm strength issue as much as a mechanical issue, as in he doesn't always get everything into all his throws. When he does he can really zip it.

Quote:It's not an arm strength issue as much as a mechanical issue, as in he doesn't always get everything into all his throws. When he does he can really zip it.
Yeah that's with many qb's unless they have elite arm strength. My point is that he has enough to be successful in this league.
^You can see in the later part of the video he has the arm strength but his mechanics, I.e footwork, throwing motion need work. I feel like once those improve his deep ball accuaracy will improve a lot. I think form short to intermiddiate he will be really good.
Quote:Yeah that's with many qb's unless they have elite arm strength. My point is that he has enough to be successful in this league.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all.
Quote:I'm not disagreeing with you at all.
have you seen the way he throws the ball up? That's just weird but I'm sure they will fix it.
Quote:have you seen the way he throws the ball up? That's just weird but I'm sure they will fix it.

What do you mean?
Quote:What do you mean?
he just has a weird arching angle when throwing the deep ball.. Not sure how to explain it.
Quote:he just has a weird arching angle when throwing the deep ball.. Not sure how to explain it.

His deep ball looked like the best in the class to me. He can really sling it, from sideline to sideline.

if anything, i would call it adequate. i don't see him generating any torque from his legs. if he can learn this, he should start throwing strikes.
Quote:if anything, i would call it adequate. i don't see him generating any torque from his legs. if he can learn this, he should start throwing strikes.

That's what I'm saying. Any lack of arm strength can be attributed to poor mechanics.
Maybe he doesn't have a Joe Flacco type arm but his arm isn't an issue at all. Its probably just as strong as Peyton Manning's and that should be fine with anyone. If he fixes his footwork then it'll come through more.
To me its more like andrew luck with the upside of big ben

I'd like to see the passes get there quicker. 

He checked all the boxes for Dave and Gus......that's good enough for me.

His arm is definitely good enough. Watch some of his games and see the intermediate throws. He is really comfortable throwing in that slot and you can see his arm strength.

Like everyone had said, it's all about his mechanics.
Quote:he just has a weird arching angle when throwing the deep ball.. Not sure how to explain it.

Touch?
Quote:Touch?
no it's just the way he throws (his motion) it's interesting. I personally think he'll be fine if he sits for a while.
Here's an analogy for arm strength.

Arm strength is like Cab fare. You have to have enough to get you home from the bar. Too little and you won't make it. Too much, and you might be tempted to try something you probably shouldn't be doing.
Pages: 1 2 3