Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Looking WAY ahead to the 2015 draft....(Jaguars)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since we didn't draft 2 QB in this draft, does anyone hope that we take another QB in next years draft. It doesn't necessarily have to be with the 1st round pick, but just a solid developmental prospect that keeps the pipeline going. 

I don't want us to ever go through a QB "drought" again, and hope we learned from that lesson. 

Drafting QB as sparsely as we had been doing for the 19 years prior to this year helped put us in the UNfortuitous QB position we were in. 

You can consider drafting a QB every year. It just depends on who is there.

Just looking at the roster now, I would venture to guess next year's draft will be about building up the defensive line. I think Caldwell/Bradley knew that DL was not the strength of this draft and added guys like Bryant, Clemons and Hood in free agency.

Quote:Just looking at the roster now, I would venture to guess next year's draft will be about building up the defensive line. I think Caldwell/Bradley knew that DL was not the strength of this draft and added guys like Bryant, Clemons and Hood in free agency.

Yeah, I could see a top DT as the focus for the first round next year. TE in the 2nd round, maybe as well.  Or ballhawking FS. 

Yeah,.... we still got some needs. 

I'm not opposed to picking a QB every year.  This team shouldn't take a QB later over a more highly rated player right now, though, the roster isn't good enough to do that.  

If a good one presents itself, then yeah.  If not, then don't just take one to take one.  I think it'd be good for Bortles to have a veteran backup for a bit though.  But if Caldwell sees a guy that he thinks can be a solid backup or more... then yeah, he should take him.

I agree Shack Del Rio...I say keep the QBs coming if they are worth the pick...until we get our franchise guy and a really good back up...even then I would rather keep the back ups "fresh"...ideally I would like us to get into what the Eagles had for a while with Andy Reid...a very good/franchise starter and just kept drafting young guys, developing them, and flipping them for more picks...LOL

I'm with the Gruden (funny reference TMD lol) that you draft one every other year. Even if it's just a 5 rounder. You have take a flier on a guy or just have that guy you can mold as well as have a cheap backup. No need to really have to pay your second qb 4 million a year lol.
I think next years draft will be about the defense in general. Getting Bradley some top level players to use will be paramount. I look at the defensive players we drafted and the one that intrigues me is Smith. Watching the guy he was playing with his hand in the dirt and dropped into coverage; zone and man.

That spoke to me about the type of player Gus wants. Top ranked players like this are at the top and I think that is when we will add our Clay Mathews to this team. Let Henne start and manufacture a top 12 pick trade out of that, reap the benefits then win Super Bowls.
And don't forget, we have a lot of cap room for free agents next year.  

Name for next year: Dante Fowler Jr

I am not a Gator fan. He just fits the profile of a Caldwell pick.

@Etdavis2006...are you saying let Henne play and trade him for a top 12 pick?

Quote:@Etdavis2006...are you saying let Henne play and trade him for a top 12 pick?

I found that comment curious as well. 

Because that ain't happening. 

Even if Henne has a good year, you'd be lucky to net a single 4th rounder for him, I'd think.....But then again who knows....AJ Feeley netted a 2nd + a 5th....so maybe he could net slightly more than that 4th. 
Anyone else hoping Gabbert starts for the 9ers? That conditional pick could be real nice if Gabbert gets some playing time.

Quote:Anyone else hoping Gabbert starts for the 9ers? That conditional pick could be real nice if Gabbert gets some playing time.

I never did hear what that conditional pick could increase to...
Quote:I never did hear what that conditional pick could increase to...

Neither did I, I wonder if info on that is even public.
you don't get conditional picks for trading a guy

Quote:you don't get conditional picks for trading a guy

Gabbert was traded for a 6th and a conditional pick in 2015.
Quote:you don't get conditional picks for trading a guy

I think you've confused conditional picks and compensatory picks.  It's okay.  They both start with C.

Quote:Neither did I, I wonder if info on that is even public.

All we know is it's a conditional 2015 pick.  Late round.  Not sure what it's conditions are.
Yeah my bad, I was thinking compensatory pick.

Pages: 1 2