Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: According to PFT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

There is far more interest in the Jaguars job than there was 4 years ago.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...me-around/

A lot of those coaches in 2013 would have sucked... maybe except for Gruden. The rest fell off a cliff.
I am glad it is more than just tom. Who should not be HC here.  But people love to relish on the past.  

Quote:A lot of those coaches in 2013 would have sucked... maybe except for Gruden. The rest fell off a cliff.
What do Kubiak, Fox, Carroll, Belichek, Mularkey, and Jim Caldwell all have in common?

All are retreads. Sometimes it takes a failure to learn from mistakes and do better elsewhere. Haley had a playoff appearence, Mike Smith had a lot of success in ATL, Coughlin we know about, etc. I'd welcome any of these guys minus Linnehan (would definitely need to be sold on that hire). 

Anthony Lynn is a highly viewed OC but I prefer HC exp., if we go the no HC exp. route him and Shanny should be #1/#2.
Quote:I am glad it is more than just tom. Who should not be HC here.  But people love to relish on the past.  
Has zero to do with the past. Has all to do with the discipline and knowledge he would bring to a young team that damn near lead the league in penalties and makes bone head mistakes.

Not to mention the coordinators Coughlin could get. People know he won't be here forever. Could be a coach in waiting like situation.
I favor Coughlin, but it seems like a bunch of retreads. I wonder if there are any college prospects interested.
Down in Jax for Xmas as always. Staying with family at the beach. Their neighbor is fairly close with Shad in the sense that he works for him. Saw him outside walking dog and briefly asked about the coaching search. Supposedly one of our first calls was to Harbaugh but he isn't interested. There is one other college coach they really like but he wouldn't say for some reason. They really like Mike Smith but may be leaning towards an offensive coach.

Can confirm none of this obviously but just passing along some nuggets of info from someone close to the boss.

I think I'm pulling for Mike Smith. Disappointed to hear they may be leaning toward offensive coach.
Quote:Has zero to do with the past. Has all to do with the discipline and knowledge he would bring to a young team that damn near lead the league in penalties and makes bone head mistakes.

Not to mention the coordinators Coughlin could get. People know he won't be here forever. Could be a coach in waiting like situation.
What has he done since winning the last SB?  Nothing.   His team missed the playoffs and then his last year had a season like Gus.   Age catches up with you. So does Alzheimer's.  If this was 10 years ago I am fine with it.  

But now.  With a guy who has not done anything since last SB win.  Makes no sense. 
Quote:What has he done since winning the last SB?  Nothing.   His team missed the playoffs and then his last year had a season like Gus.   Age catches up with you. So does Alzheimer's.  If this was 10 years ago I am fine with it.  

But now.  With a guy who has not done anything since last SB win.  Makes no sense. 

Coaches always flame out in an organization for a while. There defense has been very bad the last few years. This offseason they totally rehauled that defense and Landon Collins has become a top end safety...

Quote:Down in Jax for Xmas as always. Staying with family at the beach. Their neighbor is fairly close with Shad in the sense that he works for him. Saw him outside walking dog and briefly asked about the coaching search. Supposedly one of our first calls was to Harbaugh but he isn't interested. There is one other college coach they really like but he wouldn't say for some reason. They really like Mike Smith but may be leaning towards an offensive coach.

Can confirm none of this obviously but just passing along some nuggets of info from someone close to the boss.

I think I'm pulling for Mike Smith. Disappointed to hear they may be leaning toward offensive coach.

Awesome to hear stuff like this even if it may not be completely true.

Why are you disappointed to hear about the offensive coach? I'd also dig Mike Smith, but honestly if an offensive mind can bring in a halfway decent DC the defense should be good to go. There's a lot of talent on that side of the ball. Our entire offense looks utterly pathetic this year.

Ultimately, IDC too much about what side of the ball they come from. Coordinators, especially the coordinator for the side of the ball he doesn't specialize in, is pretty much the most important thing. Can't have a guy like Greg Olsen if we hire a defensive coach. Can't have a guy like Bob Babich if we hire an offensive coach.
Not done anything since his last SB win.

Kind of an ironic statement.
Quote:I favor Coughlin, but it seems like a bunch of retreads. I wonder if there are any college prospects interested.
NO!!

First timers need not apply.
Article says the calls have been overwhelming. Ummmmmmmmm
I'm leaning towards Todd Haley or Josh McDaniels. Coughlin is going to Buffalo, and Smith's name is out there so much it makes me think it's smoke. If I had to choose between Haley and McDaniels my choice would definitely be Haley. He's a [BLEEP].
I still want Kyle Shanahan or Jim Bob Cooter.

Quote:I'm leaning towards Todd Haley or Josh McDaniels. Coughlin is going to Buffalo, and Smith's name is out there so much it makes me think it's smoke. If I had to choose between Haley and McDaniels my choice would definitely be Haley. He's a [BAD WORD REMOVED].

I really like Haley too.
In my mind, and I'm pretty good at predicting these things, I can see Haley with his hands on his knees bent over in disbelief in 3 years on the sideline. I can't give you a reason why, but I just see it. I don't like him. You have to trust me on this one.
If it isn't TC, it has to be McDaniels. He has swag.
Quote:I really like Haley too.
Haley for me as well
Quote:If it isn't TC, it has to be McDaniels. He has swag.

I'm thinking McDaniels too. Would also be a "name" hire.
This team has more foundational pieces, and the turnaround might be 1-2 years. The roster was so barren four years ago, you knew you might be a lame duck. We may find out this was the case with Bradley, sorta. 

My fear is that Caldwell is going to be so attached to Bortles that he may not be willing to move on from him, draft a QB in any round, trade, etc. Bortles is the lynchpin to the next Head Coach. If Shannahan is Dave's guy but he wants to draft Trubiski, or If McDaniels will only come if he can bring Brissett or Garoppolo, you'll end up with a retread or a yes man. I'd really like to find out how bound Calwell is to Bortles, because if he is unwilling to let go, he is going to cost himself a job and several more years of losing. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4