Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Why we picked Luke Bowanko
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I see a lot of people are confused by this pick because there were other bigger named centers on the board when we made the pick and not many people know about this guy. I'm seeing guys saying they think this pick was wasted, or an overdraft, or they think the guy won't make it, simply because they really don't know much about him. I also see people are confise why we didn't go after one of the more perceived talented centers earlier. Well, first of all, I believe Bowanko was our target all along and is the only center we ever considered drafting and they always planned on taking him late knowing other teams didn't know about him. Bowanko was the only center that the Jags had come in for a visit. They never even brought in one of the bigger names like Richburg or Swanson.

I believe that in Bowanko our team sees a great fit for our scheme and an under the radar steal at center similar to what Austin Pasztor was for us at RT last year. Bowanko was the leader of the Virginia offensive line for a good amount of time and Austin Pasztor took orders from him in 2011. He was one of the few players who was able to contain Aaron Donald one-on-one (Brandon Linder being another, by the way) and like Pasztor is being overlooked because he's one of those oversized lineman who isn't  seen as athletic enough to play tackle in the NFL. However, Bowanko is very skilled, adept at playing in a ZBS, and when he's gone against NFL competition he's held his own more than well enough. He also fits the type of offensive line we seem to be building which, if Linder and Bowanko end up starting, will be one of if not the biggest in the league.

Make no mistake, I fully believe Bowanko will end up being a steal in this draft for us. Most of the centers in the league aren't that good and teams overlook guys like Bowanko who are just scheme fits and can play the position for more ideally athletic guys. Don't be surprised if Bowanko beats out Brewster for the starting spot and he ends up as a very good center for us for a long time.

....as long as he doesn't get pancaked by air again. :whistling: 

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Draf...b0420f96d9

(Have you ever played for someone like Gus?) “It might’ve been my last hockey coach when I was a little pee-wee, but he is high-energy and it’s real exciting. He had me for five or ten minutes in his meeting room and I was ready to run through a wall when I was done, so I’m excited to get in there.

Here's an interview from the home page.  I loved this one about Gus.  

I believe I read the Linder was abused by Aaron Donald when they played, i could be wrong its been a long 3 days and im running on 6 hours of sleep in those  3 days. I dont like the Linder pick at all, he gets pushed back too much. I know they are very familiar with him because of Fisch and he fits our scheme but Im just not thrilled with him...everyone else seemed great, Love the Lee and Colvin picks

Besides the 'air pancake' he also fell down on his own on one play in the Aaron Donald video. Apparently he needs some work on his balance. Maybe he had an inner ear infection last season.

(On if any of the scouts said, “You really need to take another look at this guy”) “Yeah, (Luke) Bowanko. He’s a guy that our scouts did a great job of digging out. We had great grades on him and brought him in for a visit. He’s a good kid. He fits what we want to do offensively in terms of the zone-running game. He’s a guy that our scouts dug up pretty well. As for the other guys, there was a lot of consensus on most of them.”

Dave from an article on the front page.

Quote:Besides the 'air pancake' he also fell down on his own on one play in the Aaron Donald video. Apparently he needs some work on his balance. Maybe he had an inner ear infection last season.

Maybe it's strategy.  Make the other team look at him and go "WTH?" 
http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Draf...288dd9260e

Another great interview from the front page with Jaguars Assistant Director of Player Personnel Andy Dengler.  It has a good bit of thoughts on Luke.

I have to see this "air pancake". Where is it?

In the Luke bowanko thread lol it was kinda funny, what i found even funnier though is as soon as he fell over, Their qb ran for his life like someone knocked him over when no one was there.  Reminded me of gabbert.