Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Question for the board
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm asking this now while it's fresh...but not with the benefit of hindsight.

Do you think the Jaguars have gotten good value with the draft picks after the first three rounds?

Why or why not?

I think with Lee and Linder picks they did I honestly don't know about Robinson. Bortles was considered a reach at 3 but apparently Cle at 3,Bucs,Min and Pats at 29 would have drafted Blake if available.
I think so for the most part.

We got the top QB (IMO)

Two WRs with 1st round ability.

Not sure about Linder though.
IMO...

Bortles was a slight reach, but he was Dave's highest rated QB who may not have been there later.

Lee was a great value in the second round.

Robinson was a good value later in the second round.

Linder was a slight reach for me in the third round, but there was a run on starting capable guards.

Yes, absolutely.    A lot of that is due to depth of this draft class, but Lee could have been a top 10 or top 15 pick if he'd come out last year.   His dropoff appears to have been due to some injuries and a change in QB and coaching staff.   Both these receivers look like they could have gone in the first round in any other year. 

Quote:IMO...

Bortles was a slight reach, but he was Dave's highest rated QB who may not have been there later.

Linder was a slight reach for me in the third round, but there was a run on starting capable guards.

This.

1. To me it looks like we are trying our best to feel the postions we need for now, and the future. we needed a qb,we needed a wr,and we need offense lineman. So far we have gone with postions we need in the draft.
My first impression is that yes, the team did get good value where they drafted.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">First Round

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Bortles - As is always the case with Quarterbacks, there is the caveat of "if he works out." If Bortles becomes a Franchise guy, then he's a top Five of the First Round guy. I was high on him during the season then I cooled on him. Still not sure why I cooled but it's probably because I'm as dum as Rico. 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Second Round - If you had told me that the team was going to walk away with Lee and Robinson in this draft, I would have wanted my 2015 First Round pick back once I recovered from the shock. The team got stronger today.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Lee - I've liked this guy all the way through and I was pumped once I saw Oakland go with Carr because I didn't see Atlanta or Tampa going WR. I think Lee is going to be an outstanding player although I do worry about the injuries he sustained last season. 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Robinson - This one surprised me because I thought the team would solidify TE before going back to WR but I love this pick as well. Robinson is a speed guy, but he's also a grinder. I love his approach and the way that he plays. What a great addition to the WR corps.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Third Round - Thought they would go Center here, but I'm satisfied. They traded away a Sixth to get their guy and I hate Sixth round guys anyway so I'm good with it. I like his attitude and familiarity with Fisch. 

Oh yes.

I didn't expect to be able to get but one of the caliber WRs we nabbed.

Bortles was the only QB teams were going after high (others had him tops, too as they called Caldwell and told him so when congratulating him.)

3rd round isn't bad for a starting G.  A lot of folks take their new starter in the first and second as the best at interior are few and go fast, and the rest undrafted or much later.  He could step in immediately at RG where we had a hole, and if he shows he can compete and hold the job - move in to C.

What they gave to trade up to get what they wanted is merely the price to get the guy you're targeting.  Instead of just drafting a position, they drafted their guy at the position.

Trading up for Robinson in a deep wr class draft was suspect.IMO....  Wasn't  Donte Moncrief still on the board?

Bortles was my pick from the beginning. :yes:   He wants to learn and compete.

Johnny Football = Tebow = failure. Wallbash

Surprised  but understand the trade ups for WR and OLB. Robinson  :thanks: would have been my pick and glad we got him.

The rest we just have to see. :whistling:

Blackmon comes back, but goes away again from more off field incident's. Wallbash  They just don't get it. NFL and fans are tired of the gangsta type players. And ITS ABOUT time they get rid of them.  

i thought lee was a mid/late first rounder and Robinson was an early/mid 2nd rounder so yes.
The best thing about this draft is how well these 4 players taken compliment each other. Robinson and Lee make each other better therefore making Bortles better and now there is help in the center line.

All they really need is time to mesh. Henne can fill the gap until then, and then when they're all ready, Bortles can come in and have an upcoming offense to work with.
Yes. 

As much as I was skeptical about the Bortles pick initially, grabbing your franchise QB in the first round, when he was expected to be a first rounder, is never bad value. 

Lee was graded out as the 19th best player by one site that I saw, and was pretty much received a first round grade by most. Its all about the knee that will make or break this pick. 

Allen Robinson was pretty much drafted close to where he was expected to go, and I would have MUCH rather the Jags drafted him, than a player like Landry who might have been rated a little bit higher, but Robinson is a better fit for what WE needed at the time of the selection. 

Linder is probably the only player that some could consider a "reach" but IMO, not really. Apparently coaches graded this guy to be a better player than where he seemed to be mocked by many of these fan mock draft sites. Also, by the time you get to that point of the draft - you just go get YOUR players - taking a player a little bit above where they might be perceived to go isn't really a big deal at that point, especially when you're talking about players that project into your starting 22. 

I flat out love this draft so far!

Might be my most favorite Jags draft ever. 

Quote:The best thing about this draft is how well these 4 players taken compliment each other. Robinson and Lee make each other better therefore making Bortles better and now there is help in the center line.

Excellent point, and I agree wholeheartedly. 

I didn't start loving this draft until the Robinson pick, when I started to see exactly what you are illustrating up there. The Linder pick was icing on that cake. 
In as much as I trust Caldwell, yes I think we did get value.

However as everything is determined by performance, without knowing what all other 32 guys think about our players its impossible to know if we got value or not.

Quote:Trading up for Robinson in a deep wr class draft was suspect.IMO....  Wasn't  Donte Moncrief still on the board?

It is obvious they liked Robinson.  If they gave up a lot to get him then I would agree, but they didn't.  We had 4 picks on the first 2 days.  We still have 5 picks left in 4 rounds.  

It also seems after the initial Bortles shock, day 2 really put things in perspective for Jag fans.  Those that weren't too happy the 1st day seem very happy today.  

They said Lee and Robinson had practically the same grade. Smart move to get both only giving up a 5th round pick.
Quote:IMO...

^This

Quote:I'm asking this now while it's fresh...but not with the benefit of hindsight.

Do you think the Jaguars have gotten good value with the draft picks after the first three rounds?

Why or why not?

They have made excellent picks imo
Pages: 1 2 3