Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: " Doug Marrone's not taking any [BAD WORD REMOVED]."
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ng-any-bs/

Quote: 

“[Doug] Marrone’s not taking any B.S.,” defensive lineman <a class="" href='http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7528/malik-jackson'>Malik Jackson</a> recently said (via the team’s website), “and I think that’s the way it should be. He’s handling this with an iron fist, and guys are conforming, enjoying the time and understanding that we need to win some games.”

Also, three more articles on the Jags on PFT today.
A look inside the Jags locker room:

[Image: FB_IMG_1494691053296.jpg]
"It all starts with love."

-- Gus Bradley
Well, all I can say is I hope he is the answer. He did not impress as an O-Line coach for the past few years.

Quote:Well, all I can say is I hope he is the answer. He did not impress as an O-Line coach for the past few years.
Was the sack total and pressures lower?  Ya bet.  So how did he not impress with a pass blocking line again?

He changed his tune really quick didn't he? Not too long ago he was saying he didn't think this team would respond well to a hard nose or hard [BLEEP] head coach. 

Ping pong tables in the locker room and ice cream sundaes determined that was a lie. 

Quote:He changed his tune really quick didn't he? Not too long ago he was saying he didn't think this team would respond well to a hard nose or hard [BAD WORD REMOVED] head coach.

Ping pong tables in the locker room and ice cream sundaes determined that was a lie.

Marrone has said a lot that Coughlin was always one of his biggest mentors/role model of a coach. They're a perfect fit together.

I think this was Marrone's personality all along, but didn't want to overstep his role towards Gus. He knew the writing was on the wall and he'd get his shot
Breaking news.......

Marrone wasn't the head coach until this year so he gave deferrence to the Gus bus.  Now there is no one but himself to blame.  Gotta win or perform to the point where there is no denying you are the guy for the job.

Whatever works. I think that's where were at right now...."Whatever works". Whatever gets results. And he would be a fool to come in with any other mentality right now, given how this team seems to have had excuse after excuse for their subpar play the last few years. It will be interesting to see the player's reactions and how they respond to the less forgiving hard nose method. I think there is a urgency on the part of the coaching staff to put together a good product out on the field, and be successful NOW. Because it's demoralizing to get berated by the coaching staff and suck at the same time. I have a feeling if this team starts to look like a 3-13 team early into the season, Marrone could lose the trust of the players.
Quote:Marrone has said a lot that Coughlin was always one of his biggest mentors/role model of a coach. They're a perfect fit together.

I think this was Marrone's personality all along, but didn't want to overstep his role towards Gus. He knew the writing was on the wall and he'd get his shot
Exactly  Marrone couldn't insert a heavier hand into the coaching style when he wasn't the boss.  You kind of have to let the head coach command the style, and Gus just wasn't a hard liner type of head coach.  Marrone is old school, and it sounds like at least Jackson has bought into it, which is good because it's usually the older vets who have the biggest issue with coaches who implement a heavier hand.
It's about time.  Too long was Gus trying to be their friends instead of coaching.  Not everyone is going to like you, so you better just do what you have to, to achieve the results everyone is looking for.

Don't worry, I'm sure the players can text Uncle Gussy when they're feeling blew, and he would be happy to lend a shoulder to cry on when the mean fans boo them.
Quote:Don't worry, I'm sure the players can text Uncle Gussy when they're feeling blew, and he would be happy to lend a shoulder to cry on when the mean fans boo them.
AKA Allen "Captain Sprinkles" Robinson.....
Quote:Marrone has said a lot that Coughlin was always one of his biggest mentors/role model of a coach. They're a perfect fit together.

One can only imagine how hard it must have been for him then, as a hard nosed guy, to watch Gus smile his way through 24 losses in 32 games in his 2 years with the Oline.

I think it's perfect for this team. This team does have some talent. Too many times there were blown coverages or just selfish play from players that resulted in penalty yards or long gains. I think this was because Gus never held them accountable. Hell, Odrick got to basically throw temper tantrums on the field and on the sidelines and it's not like he was a star that could get away with it. Ramsey is way too good of a player to have had mental meltdowns that resulted in unsportsmanlike penalties. Will we still have lapses? Of course, every team does, but there will be ramifications if it becomes a trend. The team looked much sharper and focused when Marrone took over and while we weren't world beaters by any means, it was fun to watch them play finally. We may sniff .500 this year, though I'm expecting closer to 6-10
Quote:One can only imagine how hard it must have been for him then, as a hard nosed guy, to watch Gus smile his way through 24 losses in 32 games in his 2 years with the Oline.

Nah, he had a front row seat watching that trainwreck unfold. I would not be surprised if a small demented part of him got a kick out of watching Gus fail.
Quote:Nah, he had a front row seat watching that trainwreck unfold. I would not be surprised if a small demented part of him got a kick out of watching Gus fail.
I doubt it because that kind of stink has a tendency to stick to those on the staff, and if that happens, it makes it difficult to land another gig.  Still, there's only so much any assistant can do to combat the ineptitude of the head coach besides doing their job as best they can and hope the blame doesn't swing back around on them.
Like this guy more and more as time goes on. Hopefully he can get this team to win some damn games.

http://www.news4jax.com/sports/nfl/jagua...-a-realist

Quote:Like this guy more and more as time goes on. Hopefully he can get this team to win some damn games.

http://www.news4jax.com/sports/nfl/jagua...-a-realist

Indeed. The last part about his charity comment really was revealing about his attitude in general. He was saying don't do anything, ever, just because you think it's what the public wants or because it will look good on camera. If you're giving because your agent told you to give, then you're just a big faker. If you're holding a football camp for kids while charging their parents big time money, you're another kind of fake. He's saying to be real to yourself, and that whatever you do, do it because you believe in it... do because you have a passion for it... do it because your heart and soul wants to do it. That's Marrone.

Everything falls back on the W/L factor.. Marrone and TC can huff&puff all night and day, but without the W's, they're just full of hot air..

Here's for hoping for at least a .500 season..