Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles - Sports Science
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thanks for posting!
Quote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myzT8aZr...e=youtu.be

I posted this in another thread earlier.  It is interesting no doubt, you get a sense for just how accurate the guy is.  Of course the situations are simulated but he's obviously got good touch on the ball.
I bet if this was posted 2 weeks ago people would bash this saying sports science is a joke and these tests dont mean anything. But since we drafted him it's the best video ever

Quote:I bet if this was posted 2 weeks ago people would bash this saying sports science is a joke and these tests dont mean anything. But since we drafted him it's the best video ever

Videos are a joke, anyone who says different is kidding themselves.
Quote:I bet if this was posted 2 weeks ago people would bash this saying sports science is a joke and these tests dont mean anything. But since we drafted him it's the best video ever

Would you prefer throwing wobbly ducks at pro-days and not throwing at the combine?

Sports Science is like Grudens QB camp. Entertaining but pretty useless as far as evaluation goes
Quote:Sports Science is like Grudens QB camp. Entertaining but pretty useless as far as evaluation goes

Hardly useless for comparisons between individual athletes. That is the idea behind the combines and the talent evaluators take those very seriously.
Quote:Hardly useless for comparisons between individual athletes. That is the idea behind the combines and the talent evaluators take those very seriously.

Ok, good point but this isn't a combine though. Everyone looks impressive on sports science and Gruden loves everyone on QB camp
The video is pointless fluff, but entertaining.

The part of Bortle's game that really matters is his toughness against the rush and pocket presence. It's what separates him from someone like Gabbert who has the measurables but not the guts.

It looked good and i really liked it. And when they said "he compares to" I was thinking, "he can pass on the move so well it'll be Aaron Rodgers", but no it came out EJ Manuel.

At that point I went massively flacid.

Quote:It looked good and i really liked it. And when they said "he compares to" I was thinking, "he can pass on the move so well it'll be Aaron Rodgers", but no it came out EJ Manuel.

At that point I went massively flacid.

EJ Manuel always looked great when there was nothing on the line but always came up short in big situations. It's why it was so shocking someone took him so early. It's why he came up big in stuff like the Combine and measurables. He was the Gabbert of last season's draft. Drafted on what he did in shorts instead of what he did on the field. That Bortles does as well as Manuel in shorts is nice, but not why he was drafted high.
Quote:EJ Manuel always looked great when there was nothing on the line but always came up short in big situations. It's why it was so shocking someone took him so early. It's why he came up big in stuff like the Combine and measurables. He was the Gabbert of last season's draft. Drafted on what he did in shorts instead of what he did on the field. That Bortles does as well as Manuel in shorts is nice, but not why he was drafted high.

The difference is that Bortles in college was Mr. Clutch. He came through when the game was on the line and has great poise. Look at the Louisville game as a reference point.