Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: If not Bortles, Who?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If this has already been hit, I apologize but I'm not going to sift through every single post to see if this point was hit. I want the Watkins lovers to think of this point. If we go Watkins, we are currently behind about 3 teams that could potentially go QB with their 2nd round pick. It pretty much sounds like a lock that Carr and more than likely Garoppolo will be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd round. That means that tonight we would be looking at either being apart of this bidding war that is going on to move up to get a QB, or we would be looking at taking Savage, Mettenberger, or McCarron and making that our franchise guy. Really. Think about it Watkins lovers. That lineup includes a guy that was barely considered a draft prospect prior to the pre-draft workouts, a guy with many red flags including a major injury, and a guy that doesn't excel in any one category. I like McCarron, but if you really think that he is a franchise starter deserving of an early 2nd round pick, you need checked. McCarron may succeed in the pros, but it will be as a quality backup or a starter on a team with a boatload of talent around him. 

WR is very deep in this draft. QB is not. By taking care of QB in the 1st round by getting the best QB in the draft, we can now take a very talented WR in the 2nd round. The likes of Lee and Latimer will more than likely be there when we pick and I've seen a couple of mocks that have us getting Lee(yes, I know mocks mean nothing.) Let me do a little math equation to help explain the major point of this post(should we go Latimer or Lee that is.) Bortles+Latimer/Lee>Watkins+Savage/Mettenberger/McCarron. We can still get a very talented WR with our 2nd round pick. The same could not be said about a QB at this point in the 2nd round. 

This might be the most intelligent post I've read with regard to drafting Bortles.

I don't think its the pick that people are upset about, but mostly the immediate announcement that he will sit for a year. It is a tough pill to swallow when you are told your #3 pick won't see the field when guys like Watkins and Mack will probably have big impacts on their teams immediately. Its a tough pill, but it's typically the nature of the position.

Great post. I totally agree after a night to sit and think about it.

QB/pass catcher over WR/QB and you let the FA on defense carry the defense for a year. Sounds logical to me.

This was my thinking. Either you take what you want at 3 or get the left overs at 39. The plus side is that you can bury him on the bench until you feel he is ready to play. Caldwell is taking a "turtle wins the race" approach and I like it. 

To add on to that, no matter who this team drafted in round 1, they are still not a true competitor yet. Watkins doesn't make this team a playoff contender. Mack doesn't. 

So no sweat, if Bortles is what we hope him to be, he'll be more worth it than any of those other guys, because at the end of the day, the QB position is the most important one.

I agree, great post. At first I was dissapointed but as the night wore on I calmed down and started to like the pick.
Watkins, then trade up with Seattle for TB.

Quote:I don't think its the pick that people are upset about, but mostly the immediate announcement that he will sit for a year. It is a tough pill to swallow when you are told your #3 pick won't see the field when guys like Watkins and Mack will probably have big impacts on their teams immediately. Its a tough pill, but it's typically the nature of the position.

they may see the field first, but rookies typically don't have a huge impact. Watkins with 800yds and 7 tds and Mack with 7 sacks? maybe, but doubt it.
For all the Watkins people and the Bortles haters here is a little info for ya.  Remember this WR does not win championships ie. Megatron, Andre Johnson, Julio Jones the latter of the 2 both picked in the top 10.  Mack from film that i watched gets lost in Pass Coverage, and isn't that strong in run coverage shown by the numerous pancakes he received. 

<span> Manziel didn't even play in a offense he just kinda made it up as he went, has entitlement issue's and if there was a Offensive system he did play in it would be a spread offense, we run a PRO-STYLE offense here so what break the mold an</span><span><span>d rebuild Manziel....sounds a lot like Tim Tebow to me. 
Bridgewater to Minnesota with Offensive Genius Norv Turner...this is the same Norv Turner that traded away Drew Brees to start Phillip Rivers and outside of a Few good year's SD has been a middle of the Pack team since then. Bridgewater Fell from a #1 overall pick to 32nd...and if the Vikings didn't trade to get him would have been a second rounder. Louisville was a middle of the road team that had a good season last year, and the fact of the good season came at what most people called a under-matched schedule or weak schedule of opponents and then the over looming fact that in a Controlled environment with his own recievers and plays he hand picked at a pro-day he under performed to the extant that he fell to the end of the first round. Only QB in history to have done that bad at a Pro-day. 
Bortles- System PRO-style=match. Took a UCF team that was Garbage for years and years to 3 season of winning records with less then great surrounding talent and won bowl games, Don't have to break the mold to teach him the system, Can learn from Henne who knows what it takes to be a pro. Has his blind-side protected with Luke and Austin. Likes to stay in the pocket and strong enough to get out of trouble. Had a great Pro-day. 
So upside arm strength can be fixed along with Footwork come stronger arm strength. Learning the System from Jed Fisch will be easier for him then the other QB's. The fact the Jags were not considered a Play-off ready team this year makes sitting him easier so he can learn and compete for the Job, because less face it 6-7 wins tops is what is expected. Cleveland fans will demand Manziel and he will play before he is ready, Minnesota fans will Demand Bridgewater in the starved for winning division they play in just like they did with Ponder and look where that got them. 
Last thing on Manziel----Josh Gordon isn't Evans---Gordon runs routes----Evans with Manziel was a make it up as you go. So Manziel better learn to be a pocket passer or that Ridiculously stacked Offense will be worth nothing with him at the helm.</span></span>

you dont have to take a qb in the 2nd. take a 3rd round flier this year and if it doesnt work out be agressive in the 1st next year.
Quote:you dont have to take a qb in the 2nd. take a 3rd round flier this year and if it doesnt work out be agressive in the 1st next year.

And then if next year's QB isn't ready right away, we can have TWO more years of Henne!
Bortles will be a HOFer

Quote:And then if next year's QB isn't ready right away, we can have TWO more years of Henne!

And by the time he is ready we will have a roster loaded with talent. Not saying either way is right or wrong.
A great QB still needs a team to win. Now that they got Bortles they can find different ways to fix the offense and have it ready to go once Blake starts next season. Caldwell is a genious.