Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Do you feel like we have our franchise guy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I gotta feeling we won't have to worry about QB for years to come.

we better!!

Yes I do.

I don't think Gabbert was ready for the spotlight. It takes a different breed of athlete to handle being an NFL franchise QB. I think Bortles can do that. I hope and think it will work out.... Then again I still may be drunk from last night

We'll see.  Every top tier QB in the draft this year had issues they need to work on to get to that level.  Bortles will have to prove himself on the field one way or the other.

I guess time will tell.  He gets a free pass for the 2014 season sitting on the bench, babying our GM's 6'5" 232lb prototypical NFL QB. 

Nothing is a certainty when it comes to draft picks, but I feel like of all the QBs available this year, he's the most likely to be that for the Jags yes.

He'd better be the franchise guy or Caldwell had better hit on all the rest of his picks for the next few years because this would be a career ender if Bortles is another Gabbert.

If Bortles is a miss but Caldwell still builds a Seahawks/49ers level roster he might stick around, but drafting bad QBs high can be a killer.

I've favored Bortles from day one. He's the A-Typical QB that has all the ingredients to make that perfect dish that will serve up plenty of wins. I like the pick but I truly like that Caldwell did the right thing for the franchise...

NH3...
Quote:I guess time will tell.  He gets a free pass for the 2014 season sitting on the bench, babying our GM's 6'5" 232lb prototypical NFL QB. 

I don't think they're going to baby him.  They're simply not going to rush him out there.  I suspect he'll be the starting QB for this team well before the end of the 2014 season, and not out of necessity, but because he's proven he's ready to do so.
Quote:I don't think they're going to baby him.  They're simply not going to rush him out there.  I suspect he'll be the starting QB for this team well before the end of the 2014 season, and not out of necessity, but because he's proven he's ready to do so.

He'd better be starting at some point. Henne isn't a guy that should make a coach want to keep him in over any reasonably decent QB.
If this guy is a franchise QB, a competitor, as Caldwell believes he is, he'd win the starting job and start day one and not baby him.  ie, Andrew Luck, RG3...

Quote:If this guy is a franchise QB, a competitor, as Caldwell believes he is, he'd win the starting job and start day one and not baby him.  ie, Andrew Luck, RG3...

There's nothing to say he won't win the job day one.  I'm not sure where the "baby him" comments are coming from.  They're not going to rush him in if he's not at a point where he's ready.  If he's not prepared to assume the starting role in week 1, but by week 4 he is, so what?  We didn't draft him for his rookie year.  We selected him to be the starter for this team (according to Caldwell) for 10-15 years hopefully.  When that starts is less important than the quality of football once it does begin.
I prefered Manziel, but Bortles is better than Bustwater. That is for certain.

Quote:He'd better be starting at some point. Henne isn't a guy that should make a coach want to keep him in over any reasonably decent QB.

They didn't draft him to back up Henne. 
Quote:They didn't draft him to back up Henne. 

Which is why it's going to be a bad sign if Henne can hold him off for any significant length of time.

I understand he's a rookie coming out of the spread and won't look on day one of training camp like he should look after a few years in the league, but once he has had enough time to learn to really take snaps from center and understands the playbook I can't see any reason why he shouldn't be pushing Henne aside at that point.

If he's not doing that at some point early this season then it's a really bad sign for Bortles.
Quote:Which is why it's going to be a bad sign if Henne can hold him off for any significant length of time.

I understand he's a rookie coming out of the spread and won't look on day one of training camp like he should look after a few years in the league, but once he has had enough time to learn to really take snaps from center and understands the playbook I can't see any reason why he shouldn't be pushing Henne aside at that point.

If he's not doing that at some point early this season then it's a really bad sign for Bortles.

I don't think he's going to be held off for very long.  There's going to be a learning curve there, and Caldwell said last night that there are things he'll need to work on.  But, they're expecting him to go the extra mile taking reps after practice, and working offline with his receivers to overcome any learning curve. 

Bortles will assume the starting role when he does.  Whether it's early in the season or not matters very little.  We drafted him for the long haul, and not his rookie season.  If what they're saying about his work ethic, intelligence, and willingness to improve are correct, it won't take long.  They're going to give him every opportunity to step into that role as quickly as possible, but there's still a learning curve there.
I am glad Caldwell doesn't care what the fans think and he will probably keep Bortles on the bench for at least 12 games. Bortles needs a lot of work and as Warner said, we really don't have much around him atm.

Quote:I am glad Caldwell doesn't care what the fans think and he will probably keep Bortles on the bench for at least 12 games. Bortles needs a lot of work and as Warner said, we really don't have much around him atm.

He doesn't need a lot of work. He needs refinement with his mechanics.
Quote:Which is why it's going to be a bad sign if Henne can hold him off for any significant length of time.

Palmer and Jon Kitna? Kitna and Henne are very similar. Palmer sat the whole first year. I don't think it was about beating Kitna out but more of just letting Palmer learn.
A lot of the board hated the Bortles pick, so I'm going to say Bortles will be an All-Pro. Nice to see the national media praising our picks.
Pages: 1 2