Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Maybe The Mad Dog was right.......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Pop Music Sales Plummet As Top 10 Sells Around 300K Copies Total

Pop, pop pop music. Everyone used to want pop music. But now, not so much. With very little new product, and nothing at all from name acts. the pop sales of CDs last week was dismal. The top 10 sold a total of around 320,000 copies– and a third of those were “Frozen” soundtracks. The rest was pretty much a loss, with everything from number 20 down selling fewer than 10,000 copies each– all the way to number 50, by some act called Schoolboy Q. They sold 5,545 copies– that’s not enough to buy lunch at their school.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2014/05/06/pop...pies-total

[Image: Oldsuck_zpsd813941d.jpg]

Like anything else. There are highs and lows, and things that come and go.

CD sales are low?

I mean...who could have predicted that?

Next thing you are going to tell me is that sales of tube TV's and visits to MySpace are down also.

Everything is cyclical.  As the article points out, there isn't anything really new out there from the big names. 

Quote: 

[Image: Oldsuck_zpsd813941d.jpg]

The absolute truth ^^^
I've thought pop music sucked for the last 5-6 years, but I just chalked it up to getting older.

...People still buy CD's?

Then again, I never really bought CD's. My kids still don't have ipods yet (they're not old enough for one imo), but they listen to Pandora when they do listen to music.  

lol @ CDs

Quote:...People still buy CD's?

Then again, I never really bought CD's. My kids still don't have ipods yet (they're not old enough for one imo), but they listen to Pandora when they do listen to music.  

I'm mostly listening to sports radio in the car, and the 80s mix on Pandora at the pool.
I didn't pay close enough attention (or read article), and missed that it was CD sales. Really, CD's?

I can't remember the last CD I bought?

CDs still sell, although the volume is clearly not what it was years ago.  Albums are also still selling and actually becoming a more popular medium in recent years.

There are always going to be those people who want to buy a CD vs. downloading the music online, just as there are many who prefer the sound quality of vinyl over a digitally mastered CD or mp3. 

Music is Art, and the value of art is in the eye of the beholder ...
Manufactured pop music has always been for pre-teen girls, has always appealed to the lowest common denominator and with rare exceptions that either tap into something going on in society or are just too damn catchy to ignore, are crap.

Everything else is generational and subject to variances in geography, gender, race and class. Hating music that isn't aimed at you is like a man hating a particular brand of tampon.

I still prefer purchasing a physical CD over some online crap that can be merely erased and lost. Yes, I know you back up your music or whatever, but with the physical CD thats the hard copy. No worries there, unless you actually scratch it or something. 

Plus, you also get the liner notes and lyrics and stuff. 
Quote:I can't remember the last CD I bought?

Me... Imagination Movers, Vertical Horizon
Quote:Manufactured pop music has always been for pre-teen girls, has always appealed to the lowest common denominator and with rare exceptions that either tap into something going on in society or are just too damn catchy to ignore, are crap.

Everything else is generational and subject to variances in geography, gender, race and class. Hating music that isn't aimed at you is like a man hating a particular brand of tampon.

Top 40 in the 1980's and early 1990's compared to now is much better. And it wasn't "all" just appealing to the LCD. I mean, something like Ice Ice Baby? Sure.....but there was also a lot of quality music on the top 40 back then,.....now? Yeah, I agree its pretty much ALL aimed at the LCD because too many younger kids today are sheep and most only like that certain LCD crap. Anything not like that cookie cutter LCD crap is seen as "uncool" and the majority of kids are scared to death to go against the grain and like music thats not like that type for fear of being tabbed as uncool. 

There was MUCH more variety in genre of mainstream popular music in the 80's and early 90's compared to today. 

Quote:Top 40 in the 1980's and early 1990's compared to now is much better. And it wasn't "all" just appealing to the LCD. I mean, something like Ice Ice Baby? Sure.....but there was also a lot of quality music on the top 40 back then,.....now? Yeah, I agree its pretty much ALL aimed at the LCD because too many younger kids today are sheep and most only like that certain LCD crap. Anything not like that cookie cutter LCD crap is seen as "uncool" and the majority of kids are scared to death to go against the grain and like music thats not like that type for fear of being tabbed as uncool. 

There was MUCH more variety in genre of mainstream popular music in the 80's and early 90's compared to today. 

I get the feeling you aren't even remotely as in tune with 'society' as you think you are, old man.   :teehee:
This is a complete and total non-story. (sorry Drifter)

The article is referring to physical copies.  Not downloads.  (or pandora/spotify plays)  

Almost no one buys physical copies anymore.  This is an industry-wide issue. Not only pop music.  Physical sales are down across the board in every genre, style, period, whatever.

It sucks for musicians because so many people use pandora or spotify or a similar digital service and they get away with paying a fraction of what they should in terms of royalties.  

Example:  A good friend co-wrote a song on an Amy Winehouse record. His quarterly check from downloads is still several hundred dollars.  His check recently from pandora?   $9.72

Quote:Top 40 in the 1980's and early 1990's compared to now is much better. And it wasn't "all" just appealing to the LCD. I mean, something like Ice Ice Baby? Sure.....but there was also a lot of quality music on the top 40 back then,.....now? Yeah, I agree its pretty much ALL aimed at the LCD because too many younger kids today are sheep and most only like that certain LCD crap. Anything not like that cookie cutter LCD crap is seen as "uncool" and the majority of kids are scared to death to go against the grain and like music thats not like that type for fear of being tabbed as uncool. 

Which is what your father said and his father before him and his father before him etc etc. You're a caricature.

When I look at pictures of my dad with his long hair and leather trousers going to rock concerts in the 70s and 80s, you can usually see him hanging around with a bunch of other men with long hair and leather trousers. When I look at pictures of my aunt in her punk days, she is usually hanging around with a bunch of people wearing a lot of denim with their hair dyed silly colors. Maybe each one of the men in leather trousers and each one of my aunts punk friends independently decided on their own that this look was ideal for them and set about creating their own style, only to discover, that shock horror, hundreds of thousands of other teens had made the exact same discovery.

Or maybe just like every other generation of humans they have had strong biological need brought on by millions of years of evolution to find a pack, blend in and assimilate. If you were different, well done you.
Pages: 1 2 3