Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Top Position Needs Moving Forward (Starters Only)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Please only vote where you believe we are deficient an effective NFL starting caliber player.  Keep in mind that every player at every position can't be a Pro-Bowler.

LG

RT

FB

I think the team sticks with Bortles and Cann for one more season. I think we need to start using a FB again to establish a running game. Having a 2nd TE and no FB works if you a QB that can throw short, quick, accurate passes which is not Bortles
QB

LG

RT

SS

CB2

PR

I didn't vote for a D-lineman, though I'm sure one of note will be added.

It just sort of depends on how different the new scheme is or isn't to know which position is needed most. 

QB

LG

RB

RT

FB

DE

SS

CB

KR

PR

QB - Keep or trade Bortles. You need to bring in another arm that you feel has the potential to take over the offense. Even a game manager QB would be more successful this season. Best Case Scenario is a Jimmy G trade for immediate success, if you still want the developmental route, you might want to wait it out for Jackson

RB - You need a feature back. This town had a legacy as a RB town, from Natrone Means and James Stewart to Taylor and Jones-Drew. It's disappointing that we have hit an era where we have no feature back. Bell, Blount, Elliot have proven the importance and possible resurgence of the RB position in the NFL

FB - I would put down good money for Zach Line. 

WR/RB - You need a reliable short yardage receiver with YAC ability. I'm thinking Christian McCaffrey my friends. I'm not against keeping Denard, but I think McCaffrey is the type of offensive weapon this team needs.

The offensive line is okay. It could use some depth still and maybe a premier LT down the road, but what you have can win games with this bunch. Maybe a veteran Like Vollmer or Whitworth in FA to compete with the guys you have. 

DEFENSIVE NEEDS

Interior Pass Rush. You might not be able to draft one or if you do take Allen or Garrett you could still sign Dontari Poe. Poe might be my #1 FA for this team. Maybe Peko, although I'd be nervous to make him play in a completely different scheme. 

Edge Rusher. Again this is dependent on the new staff's scheme. We are currently best suited for a 3-4 right now. I hope we don't get any wide-9 coaches because the wide 9 is a terribly flawed scheme

You need 2 Pass rushers. Fowler is too early to call a bust, but just as Bortles, you need to be prepared because it doesn't look good. There is very little muscle on the front line. Adding some talent there will create more turnovers for the secondary which is a top 5-10 unit in the league. The corners are fine, Prince is a good corner. Ramsey is stepping it up every week and he's passionate. He has his faults, but he is a good player. if you want to add one great.

Safety is not a huge concern although some have perceived it to be.  It would be nice to have an elite playmaker back there. Signing Berry or If you take Peppers/Adams, it's going to push this secondary to become an elite unit. Again, if you put Cyp in better places schematically, he will be more useful. Gipson is also okay. Donavin Darius and Deon Grant are not coming in anytime soon. As far needs go, I can maybe put that one down the list. 

Linebacker - It wouldn't hurt to find another depth linebacker. We might have wasted Poz' best years as basement dwellers. How much more does he have left? Jack will slide into the middle, but you'll need 1 or two depth players down the road

The primary concern is Pass rush for me. There are some good Defensive Lineman available. Philosophically I like bringing in 1 or 2 big money guys in FA to fill holes. My only Big FA for me really is Zach Line. The Chiefs probably can't sign both Poe and Berry. I'd really like to get one or the other. 

The only things the team NEEDS are a HC, QB, and a #1 pass rusher.

LG, RT, TE, nose tackle are certainly upgradeable but we can get bye with what we have if we get the aforementioned 3 needs.

Major needs are a good HC, QB and FL specifically a pass rusher.
Quote:The only things the team NEEDS are a HC, QB, and a #1 pass rusher.

LG, RT, TE, nose tackle are certainly upgradeable but we can get bye with what we have if we get the aforementioned 3 needs.

How is a HC, QB and a pass rusher going to make the run game better?
Give me Oline and Pass Rush. I want another year for Bortles with a new coach and a decent running game.

Quote:How is a HC, QB and a pass rusher going to make the run game better?

Well, a real running plan and scheme would probably be of benefit.
Quote:Well, a real running plan and scheme would probably be of benefit.

You can plan all you want, but there's just no running lanes and we don't have the type of maulers up front to pave the way.
Quote:You can plan all you want, but there's just no running lanes and we don't have the type of maulers up front to pave the way.

The plays matter too, our running game has been a soft plan, and not because of the linemen, but because that's the scheme Gus wanted from Day 1.
Quote:The plays matter too, our running game has been a soft plan, and not because of the linemen, but because that's the scheme Gus wanted from Day 1.

I'm certainly not defending Gus' play calling, but we've mainly been playing from behind in way too many games this year and our two main runners are averaging a measly 3.8 and 3.6 YPC and only two runs of 20+ yards on the season. Bortles has 4 of our 6 longest runs of the season. In this scenario, it kind of limits the types of plays we can do. I don't necessarily know if it's the scheme Gus wanted to play, but more of the scheme he was forced to play, due to falling behind early in games. At least that's how I see it. 
qb - sucks
rbs - sucks
ot's - sucks
G's - sucks
C - ok
TEs - sucks
WR1 - sucks
Wr2 - tolerable
wr3 - tolerable
wr 4 - sucks
pass rusher1 - ok
pass rusher2 - sucks
Dts - ok
olb1 - ok
ilb - sucks
olb2- questionable
CB1 - ok
cb2- sucks
safties - sucks
kicker - tolerable
punter - ok
kick off coverage players - sucks
Quote:I'm certainly not defending Gus' play calling, but we've mainly been playing from behind in way too many games this year and our two main runners are averaging a measly 3.8 and 3.6 YPC and only two runs of 20+ yards on the season. Bortles has 4 of our 6 longest runs of the season. In this scenario, it kind of limits the types of plays we can do. I don't necessarily know if it's the scheme Gus wanted to play, but more of the scheme he was forced to play, due to falling behind early in games. At least that's how I see it. 

Gus wanted a zone blocking scheme from Day 1 and they kept going back to it trying to make it work. That's one reason we don't carry a FB, because the scheme doesn't use one enough to warrant it. Even the first year when they talked about changing to a power/man scheme they didn't really push it, and those guys were leftovers from the previous year, it should've been better immediately. I hope our next coach is serious about the run, it'll make things a lot easier for everyone else to hold the ball and give the QB some help.
qb and de.  And then o line. 

LG

SS

PR

QB and RB
QB - I hope I'm wrong on this. Bortles looked so promising coming into the season. Maybe new coaches will fix this.

RT - What happened to Parnell? He was very good last year.

DE - Fowler is still a question mark. Another pass rusher can't hurt.

CB - I'm happy with Ramsey and Amukamara, but it's always good to have extra CBs.

SS - Cyprien just can't cover.

KR- ??? I'd much rather have a good coverage guy, but that wasn't an option.

Why I didn't pick:

LG - Our guards aren't great, but they are adequate. I'm more concerned with Cann than Omameh and Reed.

RB - Ivory is a top level RB. Yeldon is a good #2. The problem is either scheme or the OL.

Quote:Please only vote where you believe we are deficient an effective NFL starting caliber player.  Keep in mind that every player at every position can't be a Pro-Bowler.
How can QB not be #1?
Pages: 1 2