Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Taco Bell Reveals The Mystery Ingredients Of Their Ground Beef Recipe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Taco Bell Reveals The Mystery Ingredients Of Their Ground Beef Recipe

Ever since Taco Bell made it known that their “Seasoned Beef” is only 88% beef, people have been wondering what in the world that other 12% is made up of.

We now have our answer, and it’s not quite as bad as you might have expected.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/health/ta...uWOTj.dpuf

WHew, I was worried for a bit that it would have been a lot less than 88%  Confusedweat:

I have a friend that did Attorney work that focused on food quality and advertising. Let's just say that there are some rather innocuous terms that she utterly despises when it comes to describing food.

Besides, I can make a better taco all by myself.

Where's the cat meat?

Quote:I have a friend that did Attorney work that focused on food quality and advertising. Let's just say that there are some rather innocuous terms that she utterly despises when it comes to describing food.

Besides, I can make a better taco all by myself.

I probably can as well.....just as I can make a better burger than Wendy's but I still go there too. 
How was this a secret?  They've had the ingredients on their website for years. 

I still think the 88% beef is misleading in a way.  They say maltodextrin is used to "balance flavor", but it's basically a filler and probably creates a lot of bulk when mixed with water.   Beef is something like 70% water.  If you removed all the water from the beef (completely dehydrated) the percentage of beef in all of the ingredients combined I'd approximate at a little over 50%.

Believe what you want. I still remember when this story came out:

Quote:While attorney Dee Miles tested the chain’s “meat mixture” and found it contained only 36% actual beef, some of the more dodgy components in the meat were: maltodextrin, xanthan gum, calcium propionate, fumaric acid, and silicon dioxide.

You may not think you’ve have heard of any of those ingredients before, but I bet you have. Silicon dioxide is one of the most common ingredients on earth–literally– but it has no place going in your mouth. That’s because silicon dioxide is sand.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://morallowground.com/2011/01/29/whats-in-taco-bells-beef-only-36-actual-beef-and-sand/'>http://morallowground.com/2011/01/29/whats-in-taco-bells-beef-only-36-actual-beef-and-sand/</a>

Who's right? We may never know the entire truth.
Quote:Believe what you want. I still remember when this story came out:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://morallowground.com/2011/01/29/whats-in-taco-bells-beef-only-36-actual-beef-and-sand/'>http://morallowground.com/2011/01/29/whats-in-taco-bells-beef-only-36-actual-beef-and-sand/</a>

They may have been off with their calculations but I think both sides were probably half right.  The story just dissapeard though.  I think somebody got paid off.

Maltodextrin is filler, there is no other reason to put it in anything as it's flavorless.  It's used on pretty much every flavored bag of chips (like 95% of all chips i bet).  You think your chip is covered in spice?  It's really flavored and colored maltodextrin.     Also most nutritional drinks (like Ensure) are just maltodextrin and vitimins because it's a cheap carb.  I don't know 100% if it's bad for you.  But i say it's a conspiracy.  Ninja
Quote:They may have been off with their calculations but I think both sides were probably half right.  The story just dissapeard though.  I think somebody got paid off.

Maltodextrin is filler, there is no other reason to put it in anything as it's flavorless.  It's used on pretty much every flavored bag of chips (like 95% of all chips i bet).  You think your chip is covered in spice?  It's really flavored and colored maltodextrin.     Also most nutritional drinks (like Ensure) are just maltodextrin and vitimins because it's a cheap carb.  I don't know 100% if it's bad for you.  But i say it's a conspiracy.  Ninja

Wow, so even ensure is bad for you?? I had assumed it was a healthy drink....

How about my V - 8 drink? 
Quote:Wow, so even ensure is bad for you?? I had assumed it was a healthy drink....

Too much sodium
Quote:Wow, so even ensure is bad for you?? I had assumed it was a healthy drink....

Ensure is for people who are having trouble keeping on weight, but I'd probably go with Boost instead.  But neither are healthy at all.  Just a bunch of weird chemicals and sugar.  The vitamins are mostly worthless too.

I don't really have a problem with v-8.  But it's really just salty tomato juice for the most part. 
Quote:Believe what you want. I still remember when this story came out:

I've heard of a lot of different tacos, but I've never heard of the Sand Taco.
Don't care what kind of beef they use. Prolly horse meat or kangaroo.. Nachos Bell Grandes and taco supremes rock.. 

Quote:Don't care what kind of beef they use. Prolly horse meat or kangaroo.. Nachos Bell Grandes and taco supremes rock.. 

The bell grande seems to keep shrinking, or maybe it's the ones I go to, the dorito tacos are great tho. 
I used to work at Fazoli's in high school.  I cooked the pasta, sauces, etc....the bag of "meat" that went into the pasta sauce had a main ingredient of soy.  Still tasted pretty good.

I still miss those breadsticks, but making them was nasty.  Ever ladle fake garlic butter on breadsticks and then paint it on with a paintbrush?  I have.

I can't recall ever receiving a taco from Taco Bell in my 35 years on this earth that even remotely resembled the taco's in that picture.

Quote:I used to work at Fazoli's in high school.  I cooked the pasta, sauces, etc....the bag of "meat" that went into the pasta sauce had a main ingredient of soy.  Still tasted pretty good.

I still miss those breadsticks, but making them was nasty.  Ever ladle fake garlic butter on breadsticks and then paint it on with a paintbrush?  I have.

I miss those breadsticks too...they are like crack!!!
Quote:I can't recall ever receiving a taco from Taco Bell in my 35 years on this earth that even remotely resembled the taco's in that picture.

That taco got it's hair did.
Quote:I can't recall ever receiving a taco from Taco Bell in my 35 years on this earth that even remotely resembled the taco's in that picture.

Yeah...me either! If you get the taco supreme, it usually has more sour cream on it than it does meat!!
Quote:Yeah...me either! If you get the taco supreme, it usually has more sour cream on it than it does meat!!

I'm actually ok with that. lol
Pages: 1 2