Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Some Love From Vic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/a...5bc96edfeb

"Andy from Fort Mill, SC

Vic, you were right on last year with the Chiefs being the surprise team in the NFL. Who in your mind is the team to look out for this year?

<b>The Jaguars."</b>

<b> :yes: </b>

That's nice. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now, though that might just be the dinner I just ate.

Such a homer

We're doomed.
Quote:Such a homer

Sarcasm?  He picked KC last year.
I miss Vic.

In before the cool "Vic sucks!"

Yooooo Vic!

Vic was a true pro, I miss him here. 

Quote:That's nice. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now, though that might just be the dinner I just ate.

Beans?
Ketchman was a crusty guy, but he was a purist. 

He did like to reference the steelers a lot, but that was only because he spent the first few decades of his professional career covering that team.  It was his primary point of reference.  It never bothered me, but it sure rubbed some here the wrong way.

It's good to see he still pays attention to the old employer.  He's expressing a sentiment I posted else where on this board.  I think this team is going to surprise some folks this year.  Will it make the playoffs?  I doubt it.  But, I think they've got the potential to be better than what some here set as the standard (4 wins). 

Quote:http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/a...5bc96edfeb

"Andy from Fort Mill, SC

Vic, you were right on last year with the Chiefs being the surprise team in the NFL. Who in your mind is the team to look out for this year?

<b>The Jaguars."</b>

<b> :yes: </b>
:geek: Time to party!  Vic also said AP was going to be great, and was right!  Banana
The thing that I miss most about Ketchman - and it's probably the only thing, really - was the 'spit and polish' on his work. Vic rarely submitted anything with a typographical or grammatical error, and you got the feeling that he wasn't going to either. It may not be a big thing to some, but I feel like bad grammar and typo's really put the organization in a bad light when it's displayed for all to see.

Quote:The thing that I miss most about Ketchman - and it's probably the only thing, really - was the 'spit and polish' on his work. Vic rarely submitted anything with a typographical or grammatical error, and you got the feeling that he wasn't going to either. It may not be a big thing to some, but I feel like bad grammar and typo's really put the organization in a bad light when it's displayed for all to see.

Agreed.

Vic was a stickler for details.  I remember hearing him rail one time on the radio show about a writer who used "that" too often.  He said that in most cases, if you were to take a piece of writing and take out the "thats" in there, it wouldn't change anything.  He had developed this disdain for "that" because of a journalism professor, and he must have taken it to heart.  He rarely uses the word. 
Quote:Agreed.

Vic was a stickler for details. I remember hearing him rail one time on the radio show about a writer who used "that" too often. He said that in most cases, if you were to take a piece of writing and take out the "thats" in there, it wouldn't change anything. He had developed this disdain for "that" because of a journalism professor, and he must have taken it to heart. He rarely uses the word.
I distain when people use "uhh" before every word they say.
Quote:Sarcasm?  He picked KC last year.

I'm just messing around.

I honestly think if any team has a "KC" type turnaround, it will be Tampa.
Quote:The thing that I miss most about Ketchman - and it's probably the only thing, really - was the 'spit and polish' on his work. Vic rarely submitted anything with a typographical or grammatical error, and you got the feeling that he wasn't going to either. It may not be a big thing to some, but I feel like bad grammar and typo's really put the organization in a bad light when it's displayed for all to see.

I couldn't agree more, Deacon. This is a big part of why I choose not to read John's articles and the O-Zone. I'm not a perfect writer but I'm also not paid a decent salary to write for an NFL team. The way Vic wrote his stories and his articles was easier to read and stay interested in. John O bores me to sleep quickly.
Quote:Ketchman was a crusty guy, but he was a purist.

He did like to reference the steelers a lot, but that was only because he spent the first few decades of his professional career covering that team. It was his primary point of reference. It never bothered me, but it sure rubbed some here the wrong way.

It's good to see he still pays attention to the old employer. He's expressing a sentiment I posted else where on this board. I think this team is going to surprise some folks this year. Will it make the playoffs? I doubt it. But, I think they've got the potential to be better than what some here set as the standard (4 wins).

Agreed on both accounts.

I think it would be difficult for this team to make the playoffs but with 11 potential draft picks...if one or two of those can solidly contribute plus the FA signings this team has a chance to play at a much higher level than we have seen the past few seasons. This isn't shaping up to be a 2-14 or 4-12 team again. I also have a much higher confidence level in the coaching staff we currently have. I was admittedly not a big fan of Fisch in any capacity, mostly because I think it is better to have an experienced NFL offensive mind at OC when you have a defensive minded head coach. However Fisch has grown on my considerably in the offseason when I look at the big picture and what he had to work with. He seems to have a 'modern' approach to offense...no more of the three yards and a cloud of dust crap we were beaten to death with.
Quote:Vic was a true pro, I miss him here.

Me too. John O and the O-Zone are just not the same. I have read it a handful of times but only once or twice in probably the last year. Even then I just glanced through it. With Vic, I read that daily and looked forward to it. With John O I can't get myself to enjoy it in that way. I'm not saying John is bad necessarily but his humor doesn't humor me often enough and I loved Vic's purist views on football and hearing some of the stories he had. He grew up, and worked professionally for, one of the greatest eras of football we've seen. He had something about his writing that kept me intrigued...I have none of that with John.
I enjoyed him more on the radio show than I did on his ask vic, the last year he seemed to get too sensational. 

I do miss Vic. Oehser's good at what he does, but I legitimately learned a couple of life lessons from reading Vic. The first, of course, was attention to all the details of a given situation. The second was even more amusing to learn. Back during the great Tebow craze, the Ask Vic inbox was being bombarded by questions about #15. Vic finally had enough of it and said that if he got one more Tebow question, there would be no Ask Vic the following day. Of course, someone asked a Tebow question, Vic answered it by saying that there would be no column the following day, and chaos ensued. The following Monday, when Vic returned, he pointed out that he didn't walk for a day because of Tebow. He had a doctor's appointment, and the Tebow question was an inevitability no matter what he said or did. The underlying point on his part was that we should all make a habit of stepping back and asking why before getting mad. It's a bit of advice that's served me well over the years.

Quote:I distain when people use "uhh" before every word they say.

Not as much as tossing a "YaKnow" or "KnowWhatI'mSaying" in every few words. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7