Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Driver who killed teen is suing dead boy’s family for $1 million
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Driver who killed teen is suing dead boy’s family for $1 million

The family of a teenage bicyclist who died after being hit from behind by an SUV is now being sued for more than $1 million by the woman who was behind the wheel.

Sharlene Simon claims in court papers the accident caused her “great pain and suffering” and accuses her victim Brandon Majewski 17, and his two friends of negligence, calling them “incompetent bicyclists,” the Toronto Sun reported Friday.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/04/27/...1-million/

I'm sure that million dollars is suddenly gonna make her feel better about plowing over the kid! Rolleyes
Quote:I'm sure that million dollars is suddenly gonna make her feel better about plowing over the kid! Rolleyes

The family of the boy is suing for funeral and associated costs.  My guess is she's countersuing out of spite. 
Quote:The family of the boy is suing for funeral and associated costs.  My guess is she's countersuing out of spite. 

10 bucks says she's hoping for a "you drops yours, I'll drop mine" kind of offer.
Quote:10 bucks says she's hoping for a "you drops yours, I'll drop mine" kind of offer.

That's probably it.
Quote:The family of the boy is suing for funeral and associated costs. My guess is she's countersuing out of spite.

"Now the driver of the SUV, Sharlene Simon, 42, a mother of three, formerly from Innisfil, is suing the dead boy for the emotional trauma she says she has suffered. She’s also suing the two other boys, as well as the dead boy’s parents, and even his brother, who has since died. She’s also suing the County of Simcoe for failing to maintain the road."

Seems she's suing everyone...
Quote:"Now the driver of the SUV, Sharlene Simon, 42, a mother of three, formerly from Innisfil, is suing the dead boy for the emotional trauma she says she has suffered. She’s also suing the two other boys, as well as the dead boy’s parents, and even his brother, who has since died. She’s also suing the County of Simcoe for failing to maintain the road."

Seems she's suing everyone...

Somewhere a lawyer is very happy.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/04/...youth.html

"That claim, which is still winding its way through the legal system, alleges Simon was negligent: travelling at excessive speeds, failing to keep a proper lookout and operating while intoxicated and on the phone.
It also claims Simon’s husband, Jules, was negligent, knowingly allowing his wife to drive impaired.
Much like Simon’s claim, it also alleges neglect on the part of the county for failure to keep the road and street lights in a safe state of repair.
None of the claims have been proven in court and Ellis declined to comment since it’s being handled separately by Simon’s insurance company. A number listed to Simon has been disconnected."

If she was driving impaired, that changes everything.  However it turns out, it's not going to be good.
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/04/25/driver_who_struck_teen_suing_dead_youth.html'>http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/04/25/driver_who_struck_teen_suing_dead_youth.html</a>

"That claim, which is still winding its way through the legal system, alleges Simon was negligent: travelling at excessive speeds, failing to keep a proper lookout and operating while intoxicated and on the phone.

It also claims Simon’s husband, Jules, was negligent, knowingly allowing his wife to drive impaired.

Much like Simon’s claim, it also alleges neglect on the part of the county for failure to keep the road and street lights in a safe state of repair.

None of the claims have been proven in court and Ellis declined to comment since it’s being handled separately by Simon’s insurance company. A number listed to Simon has been disconnected."

If she was driving impaired, that changes everything.  However it turns out, it's not going to be good.

Her hubby is also a policeman I believe... Could explain why she wasn't charged and no breathalyzer was given...
Quote:Her hubby is also a policeman I believe... Could explain why she wasn't charged and no breathalyzer was given...

Good lord, what a mess.
Quote:Good lord, what a mess.

Yes it is!
It sounds like Eddie Farrah or Morgan and Morgan operate in Canada too!
Nothing cleans the conscience like suing the family of a kid you killed.

Quote:Nothing cleans the conscience like suing the family of a kid you killed.

I'm sure her attorney sleeps well at night.
I can't imagine what I would do if what's happening to that boy's poor parents happened to me.  Actually I can imagine, and I'd probably go to jail for life for it.  The woman is sick, and I think that the family should not just sue her for medical and funeral expenses.  But also for trauma and lawyer expenses.  The woman and her husband's money for the rest of their lives should go to that boy's family -- because she was so greedy that she decided to sue the family of a boy she killed... I'm sure that causes real emotional trauma.

Quote:I can't imagine what I would do if what's happening to that boy's poor parents happened to me.  Actually I can imagine, and I'd probably go to jail for life for it.  The woman is sick, and I think that the family should not just sue her for medical and funeral expenses.  But also for trauma and lawyer expenses.  The woman and her husband's money for the rest of their lives should go to that boy's family -- because she was so greedy that she decided to sue the family of a boy she killed... I'm sure that causes real emotional trauma.

I agree on the jail thing.  Good to know the judicial system in Canada is as corrupt as the US.  That they even waste time on this type of case is beyond me.

There needs to be some sort of penalty for people that sue for frivolous reasons.  If you lose, you either have a penalty or some jail time.  I know it will never happen because it will deter people who actually have good reasons to sue and may lose, but something needs to be done.  It's only going to get worse.
I'm pretty sure it's part of the program to sell one's soul to become a lawyer. One of my best friends is one, and I tell him all the time what a lowlife scumbag he is. He doesn't dispute it. He just smiles. Usually because we're hanging out at his ocean front condo down in Ponte Vedra. I guess he wins. Sad
Quote:I'm pretty sure it's part of the program to sell one's soul to become a lawyer. One of my best friends is one, and I tell him all the time what a lowlife scumbag he is. He doesn't dispute it. He just smiles. Usually because we're hanging out at his ocean front condo down in Ponte Vedra. I guess he wins. Sad

Only if you think that condo is worth selling your soul for...
Quote:Only if you think that condo is worth selling your soul for...

Dakota just rents it out for the visit.