Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Balancing what we know of the schedule
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
and what we think about the draft prospects, what one draft prospect would give us the best chance for a fast start to 2014?

This isn't necessarily who you think would be in the Jaguars' best long term interests to draft or who you think will be available.

But based upon the strengths and weaknesses of the teams in the first 6 weeks of the season, if one player could maximize our chances of winning those games, who would that player be?

For me, that answer is Clowney.

Those first 6 games or so features QBs that have had success in this league...

Foles

RGIII

Luck

Rivers

Big Ben

I think we will need to pressure those QBs and force some turnovers to maximize our chances of winning those games.

Scheme can only do so much to accomplish those goals.

We will need a dominant pass rusher.

Agree on Clowney.  Jags haven't had a guy like Big John or Marcus Stroud in a while. Wherever Clowney goes he'll be a force on the field.

Clowney would be the most logical choice.  A vastly improved pass rush will be an absolute necessity to balance out what we can expect from Henne and the offense.

On a side note, it is pretty crazy how much we think we are improving when we are in our little teal bubble during free agency, then the schedule comes out and reality kicks in how far away we really are from being a competitor.

Quote:On a side note, it is pretty crazy how much we think we are improving when we are in our little teal bubble during free agency, then the schedule comes out and reality kicks in how far away we really are from being a competitor.

Absolutely.

That opening sequence  of 5-6 games is going to be really tough.
Quote: 

We will need a dominant pass rusher.
This  ^
Quote:Clowney would be the most logical choice.  A vastly improved pass rush will be an absolute necessity to balance out what we can expect from Henne and the offense.

My thing is I don't think we can realistically expect to win any shootouts with any of these teams, even if we went all offense in this draft.  You couldn't expect rookies to come in at QB, WR, C, and RG (to say nothing of the fact Joeckel is still basically a rookie given his lack of NFL experience) and go score for score with these accomplished QBs.  Besides, we will basically be reconstructing the OL from tackle to tackle.

As it stands now (and I know a lot can change in a couple of weeks), the Skins, Bolts, Colts, and Steelers have vulnerabilities along the offensive line. 

To me, the surest way to get through this stretch of games with a respectable record is to have at least one guy who can exploit their OL, pressure their QB into some turnovers, and flip field position and momentum.
Quote:On a side note, it is pretty crazy how much we think we are improving when we are in our little teal bubble during free agency, then the schedule comes out and reality kicks in how far away we really are from being a competitor.

I never felt like we took any giant strides in FA personally.

-The D-line got a couple of veteran patch jobs who will help but may not have significant impact.

-We got a pretty good guard - but still need the two players that line up to his right. 

-A rotational DT that may or may not benefit from a position/role change. 

-An OLB that looks to be an upgrade - but is unproven.

-A RB that could potentially be top ten in the league this year - but we all remember 2011 and MJD's 1606 yds.  Record  --  5-11.

All of these things were wise additions, IMO, but they aren't game changers unless they exceed expectations by a fairly  wide margin.

Maybe, just maybe Clemons will be the right poison in the potion to prop up this sagging pass rush - but I anticipate only a mild spike in sacks and pressures.

So -- basically we are still an elite pass rusher and capable QB away from being competitive. Just as we were before free agency.

Finding an impact starter  in the draft is crucial if this team wants to reach 7-9.  (I consider that competitive)

Clowney, trade back into the 1st get Teddy/Johnny and we'll be set

Clowney is the logical choice especially as pointed out with the our first 6 games.

I cannot wait to see week 6 people calling for us to tank for Winston.

Exactly the same as this year, an easier stretch.
Clowney would be disruptive immediately..

Quote:I never felt like we took any giant strides in FA personally.

-The D-line got a couple of veteran patch jobs who will help but may not have significant impact.

-We got a pretty good guard - but still need the two players that line up to his right. 

-A rotational DT that may or may not benefit from a position/role change. 

-An OLB that looks to be an upgrade - but is unproven.

-A RB that could potentially be top ten in the league this year - but we all remember 2011 and MJD's 1606 yds.  Record  --  5-11.

All of these things were wise additions, IMO, but they aren't game changers unless they exceed expectations by a fairly  wide margin.

Maybe, just maybe Clemons will be the right poison in the potion to prop up this sagging pass rush - but I anticipate only a mild spike in sacks and pressures.

So -- basically we are still an elite pass rusher and capable QB away from being competitive. Just as we were before free agency.

Finding an impact starter  in the draft is crucial if this team wants to reach 7-9.  (I consider that competitive)

Same here. The Jaguars might be a bit better with the new FA's, but without a QB the Jaguars won't be beating any teams that have a QB. By which I mean a QB that can take control like Luck does.
We need a competitor. I just don't see that in Clowney.

Quote:We need a competitor. I just don't see that in Clowney.

So who would it be for you?
Mack would be the better pass rusher in the early stage of his career. 

Of course we need Clowney, but he won't be available