Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: You're the Interim Coach, what do you do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It would be easy to say what we'd like to see but remember, he's gotta do everything he can to win, the league is watching him build his resume.

The fan in me wants to see Myles Jack finish the year at MLB, give Brandon Allen a shot to see what he has, blitz a whole lot more, and go for it on pretty much every fourth down b/c at this point, why the hell not?  Oh, and to lose the last two to secure our draft slot.

With that said, what do you honestly do if your trying to win?  Start Chad and place extremely conservative offense focusing on the run and not turning the ball over?  Hope B. Allen is the next Tom Brady and throw him in there?  Stick with BBINT?  I'm honestly not sure what I'd do, seems almost hopeless until we hit the reset this offseason.  Thoughts?

Take the team out to Cantina Laredo and drink unlimited margaritas.

Perhaps a good topic in Week 5 but these coaches are going to be talking to their agents in effort to secure their next job.   It's over ..... why even prepare for the Titans and Colts.  

Interims don't really do anything drastic.

Bortles will only be benched if it comes from Caldwell

I think it's pretty obvious that they are trying to protect Jack from injury at this point
Have some fun with it. I want to see Myles Jack take a snap at RB.

Quote:It would be easy to say what we'd like to see but remember, he's gotta do everything he can to win, the league is watching him build his resume.

The fan in me wants to see Myles Jack finish the year at MLB, give Brandon Allen a shot to see what he has, blitz a whole lot more, and go for it on pretty much every fourth down b/c at this point, why the hell not?  Oh, and to lose the last two to secure our draft slot.

With that said, what do you honestly do if your trying to win?  Start Chad and place extremely conservative offense focusing on the run and not turning the ball over?  Hope B. Allen is the next Tom Brady and throw him in there?  Stick with BBINT?  I'm honestly not sure what I'd do, seems almost hopeless until we hit the reset this offseason.  Thoughts?

I think giving Brandon Allen a shot (unless he's just absolutely stinking it up on the practice field) is a more likely possibility. Blake has been playing hurt, and that offense has clearly stagnated this year. You can make a case to IR Blake to allow him to heal. 

Sitting Poz down would be a much more difficult task because he's playing at a high level AND a leader on this defense. Putting him on the bench to get Jack minutes would signify to that locker that you're no longer trying to win, and that's a quick way to destroy a locker room. You always have to play to win the game. As much as I want to see Jack, I just don't know how you get him on the field when so many teams play 3 wides. I definitely think that on base downs moving forward that he needs to be in there ahead of Skuta.
Bench Duck Hunt, get Allen some reps. This won't happen, but it sure would be nice. Not that Allen is a future HOF, but let's just see what he has. Regardless, a vet will need to be brought in.

Get Myles Jack many more reps. Get him as much study tape as possible to prepare him for next season. If that means bench Poz or Telvin, cool. Telvin is a beast, we already know what we have in him.

Other than that, just get this season over with.
Start Allen

If I am the interim, heck, if I am Caldwell or Khan, I shut down my starters the rest of the year. We don't want any #becausejaguar moments and have Ramsey, Smith, or Jack get hurt in a meaningless game that they have to rehab all off-season or even miss next season. It just isn't worth it. We know what we have with those guys. Only play the guys who are expendable or who you want to evaluate.

In the words of Gordon Ramsey, "SHUT IT DOWN!"

Focusing on the run is not much of an option given the injuries along the line.

I would give Allen a look if for no other reason to evaluate the roster. Same for Jack.

Poz has one more year under contract at reasonable money and can still start at MLB if Jack isn't up to it, here's a chance to get a head start at finding out.  Even if for two or three series per game. Get some tape on Myles at MLB.

I'd  dig deep through the playbook for some high percentage short-to-intermediate passes to give Henne and Allen a look for the last few games and get Bowanko out there checked in as a TE to help the run game. (I still wouldn't focus there though)

Go to a part of the playbook that uses the interior 80% of the field beyond the line of scrimmage. Maybe just one play, but it's a start.

Replace the A for an I on Tyler Shatley's jersey.. just for a laugh.

Will you guys be mad or laugh if the interim comes in and the offense starts looking like New Orleans and Atlanta?

Make games competitive. So have a good look for the next job if not retained. 

Bench Bortles and see what Henne and Brandon Allen can do.
Quote:Bench Bortles and see what Henne and Brandon Allen can do.

We know what Henne can do. See what Allen can do.
Do we know who the interim coach is yet? I haven't seen anything definitive.
Quote:Will you guys be mad or laugh if the interim comes in and the offense starts looking like New Orleans and Atlanta?
both
Quote:Do we know who the interim coach is yet? I haven't seen anything definitive.

My guess is it'll be Doug Marrone.  Then again I thought the Rams would have went with McGinnis.  So *shrug*   I think we're supposed to find out today at 2:00 

Quote:My guess is it'll be Doug Marrone.  Then again I thought the Rams would have went with McGinnis.  So *shrug*   I think we're supposed to find out today at 2:00 
Dave is supposed to talk about it at his 2pm conf.
Bench Bortles even if it means starting Henne. 

And if Caldwell isn't open to replacing Bortles he needs to be let go as well......

Pages: 1 2 3