Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Of The Signed Free Agents, Who Is This Year's Marks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Last offseason, the Jags signed Marks from the stinkin' tacks. There wasn't a whole lot of commotion over the signing, and many tack fans said they were glad to see Marks go. Fast forward a year, and we look back on Marks as being the most consistent D-lineman of the group, and he earned himself a nice contract in the process.

Looking at this year's free agents, which one will turn out to be the "Marks" of this class?

I have gone back and forth on it. For me, it's between Gerhart and Hood. I settled in on Hood. I think he could really open some eyes under this defensive scheme, as Marks did last year. He was selected very close to where Marks was in their respective drafts, Hood being a later first rounder, and Marks being a higher second rounder. Neither did well with their original team. Perhaps it was scheme. Perhaps it was maturity. Perhaps it was something else altogether.

Either way, I pick Hood to be the guy who mirrors what Marks did last year.

My vote goes to Hood as well. I believe he fits Bradley's defense perfectly, and could force himself into a major role on the line, even if he doesn't really look like he'll be starting ahead of Marks, Miller or Alualu.

Gerhart.

I'm gonna go Watson.

Dekoda Watson.

Dudes gonna be a stud in this defense.
I definitely have to go with Hood. I think Pitt really misused him..
Watson for me, hes gonna be what people want Mack to be IMO. Plus he is faster than Mack.

What position will Hood play? Does he take over for Miller or Alualu or does he rotate with Marks?
Quote:What position will Hood play? Does he take over for Miller or Alualu or does he rotate with Marks?

Quote:What position will Hood play? Does he take over for Miller or Alualu or does he rotate with Marks?
The Latter. 

3T DT, same as Marks, so he'll be his primary back up I'd guess.

Bryant should be the starting 5T DE, with Alualu being his backup

Roy Miller should be the 1T DT, Abry Jones should be his backup.

Clemons/Babins/Branch are your LEO's.

Hood makes lots of sense as he shares the "misused in prior system" tag with Marks.  I can see that happening. 

I expect Gerhart to make an impact as well.  

Important to note:   Both of these guys really SHOULD make an impact with the money they are guaranteed in their contracts.  Marks' one year prove it deal was a bargain in comparison.  With Hood being guaranteed 5.5 million - it would stink if he doesn't carve out a role.  I have confidence Gerhart will earn his keep.  

In terms of bang for your buck  - Doss would make a decent comparison.  He might have a decent impact on the return game. I don't anticipate him lighting it up at WR though. If he does - he'd definitely be this year's Marks. 
I think Watson is in the same place in his career as marks was. He could be the guy who takes the next step in his career this year.
I'm so happy they got Marks last season. That guy has major tenacity.. And I'm willing to bet that both Hood and Watson do nothing but compliment Marks' tenacity.. Loving this defense so far..
Gerhart by a mile. The dude would have been a starter on any other team, unfortunately he was stuck behind possibly the best RB of all time. 

i think gerhart will depend on how we address the interior oline

i'm happy with joeckel beadles and pasztor at guard and tackle but if we go through the year with brewster and mclendon at centre and right guard i don't feel gerhart will do much better than mjd possibly worse as i feel mjd has better ability to move the pile when hit behind the line of scrimmage

i would guess we would address both in the draft but that could mean gerhart struggles especially if he is not getting holes in the interior line

so I will go watson

i feel like hood will be a rotational player on the d line and not get enough snaps to breakout, gerhart may struggle, doss will be a return man only whilst clemons and bryant both have too high a salary to be a marks

i would guess watson will rotate with russel allen and geno hayes with lieu to starting probably ahead of allen as hayes seems to have more about him in terms of picks and sacks. If he can make any sort of impact on the sack I would count him as a success

Cheap player who starts day 1, plays every game he is healthy, puts up some nice numbers.

Gerhart.

I have to disagree with ukjag34 as the vikings defensive players stated that Gerhart was the hardest back to take down they played against! So I'm not sure MJD at this point in his career has a better chance to move the pile then Gerhart. If we can address the middle of the line in the draft I would lean toward Gerhart being my pick for the most impact of the free agents. I also thing it will be a close race with Watson Hood, Clements, and Bryant all in the mix. It is refreshing to think so many free agents we signed have so much potential. Go JAGS

I am not sold on Hood as yet.  The Pittsburgh fans mostly view him as a bust, given that he was taken at the end of round 1 in the 2009 draft.  I hope Caldwell sees something that many don't.

Watson and Gerhart

Listing out the signed Free Agents:

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Ziggy Hood, DT - Used as a Five Technique DE in Pittsburgh's scheme, this was a big change from his role at Missouri as the weak side Defensive Tackle (Scroll to the Second Paragraph of his scouting report for the description) and it showed as his production was reportedly only seen on passing downs when he could get up the field. He has legitimate listed NFL size at 6' 3", 300 lbs. These were the same numbers that he had on his scouting report though, so they may have changed a bit.

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Hood signed a contract paying him out at an average of $4 million per year.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Toby Gerhart, RB - AP's primary backup in Minnesota, Gerhart averaged 4, 4.9, 3.4, and 7.9 Yards per Rush during his career. Gerhart is a RB in the mold of Earl Campbell / John Riggins in that he is a pounder who still has the ability to make a cut and accelerate upfield. On paper, he looks to do well with the combination Gap - Zone blocking scheme here.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Gerhart signed a contract paying him out at an average of just over $3 million per year, but with guaranteed money in '14 and '15.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Zane  Beadles, OG - Played a few games at Right Tackle his rookie year then was moved to Left Guard and has been there since. He has NFL size as well at 6' 4", 305 and has been a durable starter. Denver, in my mind runs an odd hybrid of Fox's power running game which has the minimal part to Manning's Three Wide Passing attack. Beadles is reported to be a very smart Offensive Lineman that understands protections and line calls.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Beadles signed a contract paying him out at an average of $6 million per year with 12 1/2 million guaranteed.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Dekoda Watson, LB - Watson was an athletic LB from FSU that finally gained playing time under the regime of Schiano and his dictator-ish ways. Watson was reported to be a role player in Tampa but he is quite the athlete. He is a bit smaller at 6' 1", 240 but he has survived four seasons in the NFL. He will most likely be a rotation player at both LB and the vaunted 'LEO' position.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Watson signed a contract paying him out at an average of $2 million per year with 1 1/2 million guaranteed.

There are others who have signed but I'll make my pick out of these four. I think that Hood will be the biggest contributor in terms of surprise and effort given, with my darkhorse being Watson. Hood was misused in my opinion at Pittsburgh and will fit in nicely if he is allowed to focus on playing the 3T. Watson may surprise based on a production jump, but I like Hood's odds a bit better.

Pages: 1 2