Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Its been a long time since the Jags have gone after a top 3 tier player at their position
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't even remember the last time the Jags went hard for a top 3 player at his position league-wide. Has it even happened?

Not sure what to think about this move if we get Mack. On one hand, Hes a center that we're paying a massive amount of money towards which is similar to drafting a kicker or punter higher than the 4th imo. On the other, ITs just for 2-4 years and we won't need a huge amount of cap to sign any rising star draft picks to 2nd contracts till 2016-2017 at the earliest. So why not spend short term money now to make sure we don't flop around on the turf again like we've done the last 3 seasons.
Leon Searcy is probably the closest.

Quote:Leon Searcy is probably the closest.

Or Bryce Paup.
Poz?
Nickerson, there were a lot in the early days, before the dark times.......before the Genepire.

Quote:Nickerson, there were a lot in the early days, before the dark times.......before the Genepire.
GENEPIRE LOL.
Who Douglas

Whoops, just noticed you said top 3 player.  LOL

Most of the "top tier" talent we've signed in the past via free agency were on the back side of their careers.  Either that, or they were a bad fit for the team.  Some guys who weren't necessarily top tier, but were close enough were guys like Reggie Hayward and Mike Peterson.  Carnell Lake is another guy who comes to mind, as he was a top tier guy who was playing out his career. 

Didn't we try to bring Mario Williams in, just Buffalo was his first visit and they weren't gonna let him leave without a deal?

Didnt we get Luke Joeckel last year? And Blackmon year before?
Quote:Didn't we try to bring Mario Williams in, just Buffalo was his first visit and they weren't gonna let him leave without a deal?

No.
Blackmon and Joekel ?

Jaguars inquired about Peyton Manning's services, but Mannning laughed.

That 2002 squad was loaded.

Ike Charlton

Dan Alexander

Hayden Epstein

Chris Luzar

Wali Rainer

Micah Ross

Quote:Didnt we get Luke Joeckel last year? And Blackmon year before?
not yet.. Give it a couple years.. If Blackmon can stay outta trouble he might very well be
MJD

Quote:Didnt we get Luke Joeckel last year? And Blackmon year before?
I think Basshunter is talking about FA's, not the draft.
MJD wasn't a top 3 player at his position? I think he was those 3 years before he got hurt.

Quote:MJD wasn't a top 3 player at his position? I think he was those 3 years before he got hurt.

Definitely
he was a top three player when he was extended after his rookie contract.

Pages: 1 2