Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: ***OFFICIAL Mickey Rooney Tribute Thread***
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Entertainer and performer Mickey Rooney, famous for playing Andy Hardy in the early 1930 and 1940's, passed away tonight in Hollywood at the age of 93. RIP Mick - born Joseph Yule, Jr.
I honestly thought he was already dead. Mickey Rooney was 93.

He was an interesting guy, and the butt of many short jokes from Johnny Carson.

You didn't use the ***official*** Mickey Rooney thread...I'm disappointed in you rj! Tongue
And I kind of thought he had already passed away too.
R.I.P. Mic...

As I read this article I couldn't help but to reminisce of the past movies to which I remember of him the best...

An True Movie ICON he is...

NH3...
Quote:R.I.P. Mic...

As I read this article I couldn't help but to reminisce of the past movies to which I remember of him the best...

An True Movie ICON he is...

NH3...

I've always enjoyed him as an actor...but for the life of me, I can't recall a single movie he was in. I guess it's been a long time since I've watched him.
Quote:I've always enjoyed him as an actor...but for the life of me, I can't recall a single movie he was in. I guess it's been a long time since I've watched him.

Most of the movies he played in and made him famous were produced between the late 20s and early 40s. He was a huge star as a teenager, then went on to star in a few movies with Judy Garland, who was also a big star at that time. He was in a lot of stage productions, too.
Quote:Most of the movies he played in and made him famous were produced between the late 20s and early 40s. He was a huge star as a teenager, then went on to star in a few movies with Judy Garland, who was also a big star at that time. He was in a lot of stage productions, too.

Wasn't he in National Velvet with Liz Taylor? That's the only title that comes to mind....
Quote:Wasn't he in National Velvet with Liz Taylor? That's the only title that comes to mind....

Yes, and he was in Breakfast at Tiffany's with Audry Hepburn. One movie I liked him in was Boy's Town, with Spencer Tracy.

Quote:Yes, and he was in Breakfast at Tiffany's with Audry Hepburn. One movie I liked him in was Boy's Town, with Spencer Tracy.

He played the Chinese guy in that one...I forgot about that!!!
Nowadays his character portrayal in Breakfast..... would be considered super racist.

[Image: Starring_Mickey_Rooney.jpg]

Quote:Nowadays his character portrayal in Breakfast..... would be considered super racist.

[Image: Starring_Mickey_Rooney.jpg]

I can't imagine why!! :blink:
I loved him and buddy Hackett in ITS A MAD MAD MAD WORLD.
Died seemingly miserable. Had 18K to his name and had none of his kids but one in his will. But RIP, all the same

Quote:Died seemingly miserable. Had 18K to his name and had none of his kids but one in his will. But RIP, all the same

After eight divorces in California...the kids were probably better off financially than he is!
Liked him in Pete's Dragon..
I saw an article about his estate today. Hard to believe. Had to work almost to the day he died.

Quote:Died seemingly miserable. Had 18K to his name and had none of his kids but one in his will. But RIP, all the same

Yeah, he didn't have a whole lot left to his estate when he died.  It's a shame, but it sounds like that was at least partly due to one of the step kids who managed him doing a lousy job.  Rooney had won a judgment against the guy for more than $2 million which was never paid out. 

In the article I read, he didn't include any of his kids except for the one who took care of him at the end because they were all better off financially than he was.  Pretty sad considering the duration of his career. 
When he did that insurance commercial years ago with one of his wives I suspected he was in financial dire.
Quote:Yeah, he didn't have a whole lot left to his estate when he died.  It's a shame, but it sounds like that was at least partly due to one of the step kids who managed him doing a lousy job.  Rooney had won a judgment against the guy for more than $2 million which was never paid out. 

In the article I read, he didn't include any of his kids except for the one who took care of him at the end because they were all better off financially than he was.  Pretty sad considering the duration of his career. 

I mentioned Johnny Carson's jokes about Rooney's height, or lack thereof, and he also poked fun of his many wives. Eight marriages will take a toll on one's savings potential.