Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Elite Pass Rusher or Elite Wide Receiver?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Which position do you believe to be more important/impactful?

After suffering through 8+ years of deficiency at those positions, I figured our experience,or lack thereof, could make for a nice debate.

I pick pass rusher because unlike receiver that is dependant on someone else's assistance, the difference between an above average receiver and a great one isn't as great as the difference between an above average pass rusher and his great counterpart.

Great receiver=~1300 yds, 12 tds

Above average receiver=~900, 6 tds

Great pass rusher=~15 sacks

Above average pass rusher=~8 sacks
Pass rusher, without hesitation.
Elite pass rusher. A elite WR isn't a necessity, but more of a luxury. An elite pass rusher makes your defense tick, normally.

Pass rusher easily. You can make do without an elite receiver.

Pass rusher for two reasons: one you stated about them being the only one who affects their impact as opposed to needing a competent qb and two because they are closest to the ball.
In a generic ballot... pass rusher, and it's not close.

If you're talking about draft picks available at #3, it would depend on who grades the highest.

If it's Clowney, no question he's the man.

If it's Mack vs Watkins, then it comes down to who has the highest grade.  No knock on Mack because I believe he could be worth the pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if the higher graded prospect is Watkins.

Quote:In a generic ballot... pass rusher, and it's not close.

If you're talking about draft picks available at #3, it would depend on who grades the highest.

If it's Clowney, no question he's the man.

If it's Mack vs Watkins, then it comes down to who has the highest grade.  No knock on Mack because I believe he could be worth the pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if the higher graded prospect is Watkins.

One of the few times I can say I fully agree with your post. 
What I dont get is the hype over elite qb. And then in this poll saying pass rusher.

A qb is only as good as tools have to work with.
Quote:What I dont get is the hype over elite qb. And then in this poll saying pass rusher.

huh? QB wasn't an option in this poll. 
Depends, give me Calvin over any pass rusher except Watt. But Watt isnt just a passrusher, that man can do it all.  Had to go corn on this one

Jerry Rice vs. Reggie White or Bruce Smith  ?

Love White and Smith but I gotta go Rice

T. O. or Randy Moss in their prime vs. Strahan or Ware in their prime?

Love Strahan and Ware but gotta go T.O. and Moss

If you are thinking Clowney vs Watkins,  If they both are there you take the pass rusher every time.  If Clowney is gone Watkins might be our best pick. A trade down a few slots would be even better.

Quote:Jerry Rice vs. Reggie White or Bruce Smith  ?

Love White and Smith but I gotta go Rice

T. O. or Randy Moss in their prime vs. Strahan or Ware in their prime?

Love Strahan and Ware but gotta go T.O. and Moss
Reggie White HOF sb winner, Strahan another HOF superbowl winner, Ware another one going to the HOF vs Rice (good) T.O.(was a serious headcase, Moss HOF but never got a ring.  I'll take the pass rusher.  People Forget that Jerry Rice played behind a very good defense
Quote:If you are thinking Clowney vs Watkins,  If they both are there you take the pass rusher every time.  If Clowney is gone Watkins might be our best pick. A trade down a few slots would be even better.
Agreed, I would take Clowney over Watkins though
Pass rusher without question.  You'll never have a strong defense if you can't put pressure on the quarterback.

A great wr can make a qb look better than he actually is, which can be good and bad. (See Stafford)
Vic K would say WRs are a dime a dozen.

Regardless of how you feel about Chad Henne and his arm strength our OLine had our star LT traded to the Ravens, our star rookie LT injured out for the season (hopefully he'll be back to before), our Center retired, and our star franchise running back is now an Oakland Raider.

That being said I have faith/hope that Dave Caldwell is working his magic, and that this running back from Minnesota (Gerhart) will be eager to prove he is an elite running back but wasnt given the chance due to the shadow of AP.   The team has/had an elite WR in Justin Blackmon so we had thought but his off field shannigans and inconsitencey makes him irrelevant. In the last couple of decades the Jaguars make the leap to draft a star WR in the 1st round only to fail every time. 

On the other side the team has struggled to draft an elite pass rusher in the first round too, Derrick Harvey got a lot of fans excited only to be a miserable failure.  I remember reading all the pretend hype about Tyson AluAlu being this great pass rusher whom became really a run stopper just like Harvey was.

The team has been the league's worst at pass rushing for several years, but I feel that Clowney is that guy that could change everything.

The problem is the Jaguars seem to stink at sucking too.  Think about the hype around A. Luck QB, the Colts finished worst to draft him everyone kind of knew he would go first & the same thing happened this year with Houston getting Clowney.  The key to our division an elite pass rusher & an elite QB and two of the teams in our division have both.

To answer this poll, it is a team sport and one player cant do it all but they do have what is known as premium positions and an elite DE is more desireable than an elite WR by any franchise if they are equally in skills at respectable slots.

5 years ago I would have said pass rusher, now I'm leaning towards WR.

If you look at the last few teams who have won Superbowls off the back of their pass rush (Giants and Seahawks), it was more of a team effort. Not that they didn't have at least 1 great pass rusher, but the pressure came from everywhere. Obviously having a JJ Watt in there is nice and that makes everyone around him better, but he can't do it alone. A truly great receiver however, is nearly impossible to stop within the current rules.

Quote:What I dont get is the hype over elite qb. And then in this poll saying pass rusher.

Yea you're right! Who needs those dumb QB's like Brady, Manning, Rodgers or heck.... Even Elway! Stupid Elite QB's always taking you to the playoffs and giving you a chance to win the SB.
Even with the transition to a Pass-centric game.

You cannot throw to when you do not have time to.

It is better to take away the whole field

Elite class multi technique DE.

If the defenses are so worried about Clowney, Mack, Barr and adjust accordingly.

Big Daddy Red gonna get inside.

T-REX in the hen house.

Droooooolllllllllllllllllllllllll.

HeadSlap  

Pages: 1 2 3 4