Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What if Caldwell was our GM before Gene Smith?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Jaguars roster was left with very little talent for Dave Caldwell to work with because of the constant misses that Gene Smith and the Jaguars took in the Draft and FA. He is giving new life to a struggling organization here in Jacksonville. Just imagine if Dave Caldwell became our GM in 2009 before Gene Smith took the job just think how much better of a team would we be with his mindset in place. 

The Shoulda, Woulda, Couldas only makes it hurt more....let it go. It will feel like a weight has been lifted off your chest! :yes:
This is such a TEASE subject. I can speculate who might have been taken and salivate where we could have been.

It only happened because of the change of ownership. Weaver most likely would not have gone after a Lamping type.

We have a very competent owner who understands Command, Conrol and Communication.

Puts the best people in place, ask's to be briefed, offers advice based on his experiance and gets the heck out of the way to allow his subordinates to plan their work and work their plan. Only stepping in when he or Lamping have concern.

Sorry for the NAVY allegory, but that's the way the best CO, XO combos work when they have their Chiefs in place.

It is the true TEAM concept before it became an overworked buzzword for Micromanagement.

HeadSlap

ps. If we did have Dave before Gene, there would have been no Gene, he would still be a scout.

We don't know what would have happened. You have to keep in mind, five-six years ago, the Dave Caldwell that we know today may not have been the same Dave Caldwell during that time. Maybe he needed those extra years from ATL and IND to learn his way around the front office, and how to properly gauge and develop a scouting system and draftboard. His talent evaulation skill-set and level of evaulation may not be as good as it is now back then.
Quote:The Shoulda, Woulda, Couldas only makes it hurt more....let it go. It will feel like a weight has been lifted off your chest! :yes:

Was thinking the same thing when I read the OP.  I try not to let myself go there.  These are the cards that have been dealt.
You can drive yourself crazy playing this game for almost everything in life.
What if I had picked different numbers in the lottery?  What if I had buried that body in a shallower grave?  

It goes on and on.

Sorry, but I've removed the Gene Smith GM days from my memory.

If Caldwell had been GM instead of Gene Smith, we'd probably be criticizing Caldwell for not getting beyond the first round of the playoffs.  

We'd be in much better shape overall.

But we wouldn't have a good punter.  So if you ask me (and you did!) it wouldn't be worth it.  

Quote:We don't know what would have happened. You have to keep in mind, five-six years ago, the Dave Caldwell that we know today may not have been the same Dave Caldwell during that time. Maybe he needed those extra years from ATL and IND to learn his way around the front office, and how to properly gauge and develop a scouting system and draftboard. His talent evaulation skill-set and level of evaulation may not be as good as it is now back then.
JaguarsWomen?
After year 1 we still had high hopes for Gene.  In 5 years we may realize Caldwell is clueless.  We may be in the same situation we are now.  Who knows.

Quote:If Caldwell had been GM instead of Gene Smith, we'd probably be criticizing Caldwell for not getting beyond the first round of the playoffs.  
Thats crap, if Gene Smith got us to the playoffs every year few people would criticize him, we got worse every year with him.
Quote:JaguarsWomen?

No, she never does the "what if" game... She only deals with the facts! :thumbsup:

Speaking of JW, where has she been lately?
Bryan Anger would not be on this team. That much is for sure. 

Quote:JaguarsWomen?
Childish Gambino? O.o
Quote:Bryan Anger would not be on this team. That much is for sure.

Well he might have been but he would've been signed as a rookie FA. ;-)
Quote:Well he might have been but he would've been signed as a rookie FA. ;-)
Sadly, that could have easily happened too. 
Quote:Sadly, that could have easily happened too.
I doubt he would have made it undrafted but he could have been picked up in the 6th or 7th round.
Quote:I doubt he would have made it undrafted but he could have been picked up in the 6th or 7th round.

Or at least the 5th.  Instead of Brandon Marshall.  But I guess Marshall is a long term fixture on this team.  Oh wait, sorry.  He's with the Broncos now.  Well, we all saw how far they went.  Can't believe that Caldwell let him go.  He had three tackles for the Broncos.  Three more than for the Jags!
Pages: 1 2