Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: So if training camp started today, lets take a look at our roster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ill start with defense.

Clemons will fortify our pass rush and our run defense.  Marks will keep the lineman off of our LBs and Alualu will set the edge

Dakota Watson will bring speed and athletic ability to our LB corps.  Poz is probably going to be in the top 5 in the NFL for tackles and Russel Allen will be shown to the bench.  Then on 3rd downs Watson will put his hand in the dirt and bend the edge and make the QB walk the plank

Our secondary will be the weak link however they won't be as raw as they were last year.  Blackmon will give them leadership, Gratz will see things much slower, and Cyph will be even better with another camp under his belt.  Evan will be pushed by #22(forgot his name) and with 11 picks in the draft we have room to clean that part of the defense up.

On offense

We will be sorely missing MJD, it won't be a secret, unless for some miracle he comes back once he sees nobody is interested in a RB with a lot of miles on his tires.  We will certainly be drafting a stud in the first 3 rounds.

WR is a little shaky but if Blackmon can clean his act up then we are instantly stabilized.  We know we have a 900 yard and 8 TDs in Cecil Shorts, Blackmon is a 1000 yard WR all day long and again, we have flexibility to draft a WR in the draft.  I think Sanders is ready to take on a heavier load and he will seize the moment.

Lewis can still be a threat in the run game and passing game.

Meester moves on, so we have an opening at Center and Nwaneri was replaced by Beadles.  I think we will sign a FA once things settle down, and again we can look at the draft for more help.  Don't get it twisted, Luke Joekel will hold the left side of the line down and Paztor is serviceable. 

Scooby and the crew will hold the special teams down as they always do.

Most importantly I think Gus will have confidence to be more aggressive with his gameplans.

As of right now we are a 7 win team.  We could make a run for the playoffs if we hit on atleast 3 picks in the draft.  The rest will be developmental guys and icing on the cake.

Thoughts.

Bryant / Alualu

And they won't draft a RB before the 4th round
I think Red Bryant will be starting over Alualu. But other than that, pretty solid breakdown. 

Let's get the interior OL fixed before anointing the Jags a team right on the cusp of the playoffs, please. I still think that 8 wins is a very realistic total for next year, even if we do nail a handful of picks in the draft and find a quality center and right guard, and I feel like next year will wind up being another learn and build campaign. I think the Jags will be poised to make a playoff run in 2015, ideally with the interior OL spots fixed, improved play from the secondary and a second-year QB ready to roll. I'd love to see a playoff run in 2014, but I have a hard time drinking the Gus-Aid on that one.

Alualu is in unsung hero in the grand scheme of things.  His job is to set the edge, nothing more.  Not sacks, or tackles those are just icing on the cake.  I agree, I think Red Bryant will start over him, but Bryant offers more numbers, Alualu doesnt put up the numbers.  They will be a great rotation.

And don't sell us short.  I think help is on the way for the interior offensive line.  Brewster might turn out to be a stud if not then we can find the Vince Manuwi's in the 3rd and 4th rounds. 

Also FA isn't over, look for us to sign an olinemen in the 3rd wave, just before the season starts. 

But how bout that defense fellas???

Quote:Alualu is in unsung hero in the grand scheme of things.  His job is to set the edge, nothing more.  Not sacks, or tackles those are just icing on the cake.  I agree, I think Red Bryant will start over him, but Bryant offers more numbers, Alualu doesnt put up the numbers.  They will be a great rotation.

And don't sell us short.  I think help is on the way for the interior offensive line.  Brewster might turn out to be a stud if not then we can find the Vince Manuwi's in the 3rd and 4th rounds. 

Also FA isn't over, look for us to sign an olinemen in the 3rd wave, just before the season starts. 

I get a feeling you are making excuses for Alualu, he just isn't that good
Quote:I get a feeling you are making excuses for Alualu, he just isn't that good
I don't think you understand the defense. He's a 3-4 DE who's job is to stuff the run. He's not making excuses.
Jameis
Quote:Alualu is in unsung hero in the grand scheme of things.  His job is to set the edge, nothing more.  Not sacks, or tackles those are just icing on the cake.  I agree, I think Red Bryant will start over him, but Bryant offers more numbers, Alualu doesnt put up the numbers.  They will be a great rotation.

If you think Alualu gets paid to go out there and do nothing but exist, you are completely wrong.
Quote:I don't think you understand the defense. He's a 3-4 DE who's job is to stuff the run. He's not making excuses.
I don't think you don't understand the fundamentals of football.

I get it... you know what a 5 tech is, great, my little cousin knows it too and plays it pretty well in pop warner.

Before you can be a good 5 tech, you have to be a good defensive lineman.
Well thank god for the draft!

Tommy, Ive tried to explain this to the fellas at work but they dont get it.

Your best DE is your pass rusher and he sees the LT.

Your best.run stuffing end sees the RT....the RT is known for road grading. He is the guy you run off tackle with your RB.

Alualu's job is to turn the tackle, set the edge and redirect the RB. He is very good at it.

His numbers are horrible but his effectiveness is off the charts.
Quote:I don't think you don't understand the fundamentals of football.

I get it... you know what a 5 tech is, great, my little cousin knows it too and plays it pretty well in pop warner.

Before you can be a good 5 tech, you have to be a good defensive lineman.
Lol. Yes, I don't understand the fundamentals of football, yet you can't properly grasp the concept of a role player. It's a shame.
Quote:If you think Alualu gets paid to go out there and do nothing but exist, you are completely wrong.
He doesn't think that. Setting the edge is what he does on almost EVERY SINGLE SNAP, AND THAT'S WHAT HE'S TOLD TO DO.

Jesus, it's like talking to a brick wall.
Quote:Jameis
you spelled bust wrong
If training camp started today, and this was the roster, this is still a 4-5 win team, IMO. 

Quote:If training camp started today, and this was the roster, this is still a 4-5 win team, IMO. 

Probably, we have huge holes on the O-line, WR... meaning our offense will be anemic at best.

Luckily we have 11 picks.
Quote:Probably, we have huge holes on the O-line, WR... meaning our offense will be anemic at best.

Luckily we have 11 picks.

1st

2nd

3rd

4th 4th

5th 5th 5th

6th 6th

7th

correct?
Quote:He doesn't think that. Setting the edge is what he does on almost EVERY SINGLE SNAP, AND THAT'S WHAT HE'S TOLD TO DO.

Jesus, it's like talking to a brick wall.
BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tommy, you don't remember what you used to say about Alualu, do you?

Here's a timeline;

" Alualu's not a bust, he draws double teams!!!"

" Alualu's not a bust, he's been unhealthy!!!"

" Alualu's not a bust, he's a great 5 tech!!!"

" Alualu's not a bust, he's a great role player!!!!"

LOL... talking to a brick wall, when do the excuses run out Tommy? Let me guess....

" Alualu's not a bust... he's in the NFL!!!"

Its ok to be wrong Tommy. I think ive been wrong once before.

He plays his position so well, it was addressed immediately in free agency.

Sounds like a player that does what he's supposed to do every single snap.

Quote:Tommy, Ive tried to explain this to the fellas at work but they dont get it.

Your best DE is your pass rusher and he sees the LT.

Your best.run stuffing end sees the RT....the RT is known for road grading. He is the guy you run off tackle with your RB.

Alualu's job is to turn the tackle, set the edge and redirect the RB. He is very good at it.

His numbers are horrible but his effectiveness is off the charts.

His effectiveness is so off the charts... now that is hilarious. What proves his "effectiveness" ? The fact that our D-line has been the weakest link in our defense for years now? Or the fact the our 5 techs effectiveness is so " Off the charts ", that teams ran the ball at will against us.

Red Bryant is 10x the run stuffer Alualu has ever dreamt of being, and if you think he wont start over Alualu, you are dreaming as well.

By Tommy's logic, he's a role player for stopping the run. In your logic, he is awesome at what he does.

So that means, Red Bryant is not only going to be just a role player, but he also should sit behind Alualu, because Alualu is so great at what he does.

Not gonna happen.
Pages: 1 2 3