Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Mike Brown
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
In all the threads I've read this offseason, and in all the articles I've read from the main site, the repeated themes I see are the need to upgrade the receiver position. (Not disagreeing, btw).

That said, it seems to me that whenever people talk about the receiver position for next year, I never see him in the mix. 

From watching games, he seemed to be very talented, and had the misfortune of literally breaking his back early in the year. Once he was healed, he was explosive, and seemed to be a real playmaker that was adapting well from playing QB in college.

So what do you guys think? Will he be on the roster and/or have a role next year? Keeping in mind that it will be his 3rd year, which is often a breakout year for WR's, I see it as very possible, and I'm genuinely rooting for his success.

He's not going to be cut this offseason, so he will have his chance to prove it. He will need to take advantage of that chance though.

I think alot of this is reassurance incase Blackmon doesn't come back. Mike Brown is a good 4/5, nothing else.

There's going to be a lot of competition for the lower rungs on the depth chart that he'll be after. He'll get a chance to take it in training camp, and he's made the most of those chances twice now, so I wouldn't bet against the guy.

Mike has an Very Good chance to again make the roster. The only drawback that may present itself is if/when we draft one or possibly two WRs. Caldwell may opt to retain youth at the position leaving Brown as the Odd Man Out...

NH3...
I like Mike Brown, and if I remember right he can play all the WR positions which bodes well for his chances. That being said, I don't see him ever becoming much more than a Jason Avant type of guy.
The more i watched him play, the more i liked him. I'm rooting for him to get another chance.
Yeah I think he's a little underrated.  Guy probably had the best hands on the team outside of Blackmon.  He may lack a little bit of speed but flashed late last year.  He'll have to prove it in training camp but I'd like to see him back.

Mike Brown is a 4th or 5th WR. His weakness in this role is that he has limited special teams ability. A guy(s) like Tandon Doss, with WR versatility and good special teams ability could challenge his role (and roster spot).
Really depends on our draft and on Blackmon on what his role is.  Blackmon, Shorts, Sanders, Doss, and Brown would be a really nice group of WRs.  If Blackmon slips again or we don't draft a WR in the first few rounds, then his roster spot is easily safe.

Quote:Really depends on our draft and on Blackmon on what his role is. Blackmon, Shorts, Sanders, Doss, and Brown would be a really nice group of WRs. If Blackmon slips again or we don't draft a WR in the first few rounds, then his roster spot is easily safe.

Yes it would. It just sucks that the receiver spot has so many question marks. Shorts likes to collect concussions and Blackmon likes to collect suspensions.
Quote:Mike Brown is a 4th or 5th WR. His weakness in this role is that he has limited special teams ability. A guy(s) like Tandon Doss, with WR versatility and good special teams ability could challenge his role (and roster spot).

I agree, I expect the Jaguars to target a receiver as high as the 2nd round, the receiving core needs an infusion of physical talent at the position, Donte Moncreif could be a guy they look at in the 2nd/3rd round.
Quote:Really depends on our draft and on Blackmon on what his role is.  Blackmon, Shorts, Sanders, Doss, and Brown would be a really nice group of WRs.  If Blackmon slips again or we don't draft a WR in the first few rounds, then his roster spot is easily safe.

I wouldn't count on Blackmon being on this team again. And I don't think Caldwell/Bradley are either.
I think Mike Brown is a solid 2nd/3rd wide out. If things go well his game should improve this season. I think it comes down to how much talent is ahead of him to really see where he'll be.

Quote:I think Mike Brown is a solid 2nd/3rd wide out. If things go well his game should improve this season. I think it comes down to how much talent is ahead of him to really see where he'll be.

Eric Decker is a solid 2nd/3rd wideout, Kendall Wright is a solid 2nd/3rd wideout, TY Hilton, Emmanuel Sanders, Michael Floyd, Rod Streater etc.. are solid 2nd/3rd wideouts, Mike Brown is not on the same level of any of those guys. At 5'10 200 Lbs he doesn't have the explosiveness it takes to thrive as a 2nd/3rd receiver at this level, he's nothing more than a 4th/5th receiver with little upside, he offers nothing in the return game as well.
Mike Brown is just a guy.  The lack of new blood at WR (so far) makes him a bubble 4/5 guy.

Quote:I wouldn't count on Blackmon being on this team again. And I don't think Caldwell/Bradley are either.
I'm not counting on it, but at the same time it's far from an impossibility.  At this point, he hasn't had any sort of setback that we know of. 
I doubt he is on the opening roster unless we keep 6 wrs
He made huge strides from his first year to his second year. That was encouraging given he was a QB in college. If he can take the next step in his 3rd year, I think he has a good chance to make the team.

Quote:Yeah I think he's a little underrated.  Guy probably had the best hands on the team outside of Blackmon.  He may lack a little bit of speed but flashed late last year.  He'll have to prove it in training camp but I'd like to see him back.

One thing I like about MB is that he brings some fight to our WR group. Guy never goes down easy and works for everything he gets. Maybe he'll take another leap this year.
Pages: 1 2 3