Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Scientists find the first direct evidence of Gravitational Waves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-tegmar...76707.html

This is one of the greatest Scientific discoveries ever.

For anyone who is wondering why this is significant, it proves the theory of Universal Inflation, and opens up the possibility of our Universe being one of many others in a Multiverse.

Quote:For anyone who is wondering why this is significant, it proves the theory of Universal Inflation, and opens up the possibility of our Universe being one of many others in a Multiverse.

Yeah, I understand that it proves the theory of Universal Inflation...  I just don't understand how it proves the theory of Universal Inflation.  I guess if I could, I'd be a physicist.  

I mean, they have shown that there are ripples in space time, which further confirms Einstein's General Theory of Relativity.   But how does that somehow open up the possibility of there being many universes?  
Quote:Yeah, I understand that it proves the theory of Universal Inflation...  I just don't understand how it proves the theory of Universal Inflation.  I guess if I could, I'd be a physicist.  

I mean, they have shown that there are ripples in space time, which further confirms Einstein's General Theory of Relativity.   But how does that somehow open up the possibility of there being many universes?  

Because it sounds really cool and there's a universe with super heroes and stuff in it!
GAWD.... a parallel universe with another one of me! Perish the thought!!! :teehee: :yes:

That is pretty cool, pretty cool indeed. Space and time is infinite. I just find it odd that some scientists theorize that space does have an end point, and I simply don't believe that. For one, we can't even remotley explore space at free will from point A to point B. It's a challenge just trying to get to the Moon. So, again, how can you possibly say it eventually runs out and ends if you've never explored it? I hate that theory. To me, like most planets found in just our solar system, one would think that space is probably the same shape, with no "edge of the space" theory or idea where you could literally and virtually walk or fly yourself right out of existence.

It does bother me that we haven't made contact with any species more evolved than us, or, we have, which has been under speculation now for what appears a century but thanks to the Astronaut Theory stuff, it's very possible we have made contact before. But, it does bother me that in such a vast world of planets/dimensions/time and space that we haven't been fully, in your face, your government can't hide this from you!...visited yet.

But a parralel universe sounds awesome. I could be a General in one dimension, or a bum. Who knows.
The discoveries in physics keep coming fast.  Seems like just yesterday they were still building the Large Haldron Collider

Quote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-tegmar...76707.html

This is one of the greatest Scientific discoveries ever.
You've obviously never heard of the invention of sliced bread.
Quote:You've obviously never heard of the invention of sliced bread.

Bah! Twist-off beer bottle caps.
Quote:Bah! Twist-off beer bottle caps.
1A/1B. No doubt
Quote:Bah! Twist-off beer bottle caps.

I just want to know what took so long for them to figure out how to make them so you can twist them back on. Could have prevented a lot of alcohol abuse.
Quote:For anyone who is wondering why this is significant, it proves the theory of Universal Inflation, and opens up the possibility of our Universe being one of many others in a Multiverse.

Oh. I thought it confirmed the size of my wife's [BLEEP].
Quote:That is pretty cool, pretty cool indeed. Space and time is infinite. I just find it odd that some scientists theorize that space does have an end point, and I simply don't believe that. For one, we can't even remotley explore space at free will from point A to point B. It's a challenge just trying to get to the Moon. So, again, how can you possibly say it eventually runs out and ends if you've never explored it? I hate that theory. To me, like most planets found in just our solar system, one would think that space is probably the same shape, with no "edge of the space" theory or idea where you could literally and virtually walk or fly yourself right out of existence.

This is the way I have been led to understand it.   Prior to the big bang, there was no space and time, and the big bang created space and time.   They have somehow gauged the age of the universe at 13.8 billion years, and since nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, then the size of the universe must be 13.8 billion light years in all directions.  Now, if somehow you could reach the end of the universe, you could not go beyond, because at the edge of the universe there are no laws of nature, nothing exists, not even space.   So the idea of going beyond the edge of the universe simply does not compute. 

Now, if space and time are infinite, as some are now saying, then I am all wrong I guess.   The only way that can happen is if the universe inflated at more than the speed of light.   But I was alway taught that that was not possible. 
What came after the Big Bang?

The Big Cigarette.

-- Johnny Carson
Quote:What came after the Big Bang?

The Big Cigarette.

-- Johnny Carson
ha just got the reference
I watched NBC News last night and thay had not one single word about what has been described as one of the most important scientific breakthroughs of the last 50 years.   Not one word!  

And to beat that, they led with 10 solid minutes of the missing Malaysian plane, before they finally got to the thing that may lead to WWIII, Putin's Crimean Adventure.  

"In other news, the Germans moved into the Sudetenland today."  

The one thing the network news had going for it was that it was perceived as serious news.   Now, they are nothing.   Worthless.  

Things are moving fast. Just read an article about Stephen Hawking. He has lost all movement in his arms and hands. In order to still operate his computer, they put a chip in the arm of his eye glasses and he can manipulate movement, like say a computer mouse, by his thought process that relays it to the chip. 

Theoretical Physicist Kaku ( I believe is his name ) explained it on a tv program...and also in his latest book.

Talks about eventually restoring memory, downloading dreams, etc.....crazy stuff

But... for those who really get into this stuff..Awesome!  So great to know WHAT happened, now could someone please tell me WHY?

I still can't understand gravitational waves, and all i want to know about it is why things stick together, without a mind bogglingly complicated answer.  Try to wrap your head around this and see what I mean:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Re...ation.html

And what happened 1 second before the Big Bang? Oh I forgot - there was no before the Big Bang because there was no time.

I need a beer

Quote:Yeah, I understand that it proves the theory of Universal Inflation...  I just don't understand how it proves the theory of Universal Inflation.  I guess if I could, I'd be a physicist.  

The discovery still needs to be confirmed by other teams and further tested before it becomes an official theory.

But as someone online recently told me: "This discovery is definitely Nobel Prize worthy."
Quote: 

Things are moving fast. Just read an article about Stephen Hawking. He has lost all movement in his arms and hands. In order to still operate his computer, they put a chip in the arm of his eye glasses and he can manipulate movement, like say a computer mouse, by his thought process that relays it to the chip. 

Theoretical Physicist Kaku ( I believe is his name ) explained it on a tv program...and also in his latest book.

Talks about eventually restoring memory, downloading dreams, etc.....crazy stuff

But... for those who really get into this stuff..Awesome!  So great to know WHAT happened, now could someone please tell me WHY?

<div style="font-size:16px;font-family:HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:transparent;">I still can't understand gravitational waves, and all i want to know about it is why things stick together, without a mind bogglingly complicated answer.  Try to wrap your head around this and see what I mean:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Re...ation.html

And what happened 1 second before the Big Bang? Oh I forgot - there was no before the Big Bang because there was no time.

I need a beer

</div>

Stuff like that makes your head explode.  

Ray Kurzweil has a website (he is a futurist) and there is a pretty good forum over there with people talking about things I can't understand, yet I still read it trying to.  I'm so fascinated with future, possibilities, etc..., but damn, that crap is complicated. 
Quote:The discovery still needs to be confirmed by other teams and further tested before it becomes an official theory.

But as someone online recently told me: "This discovery is definitely Nobel Prize worthy."

I'm going to read more into it.  The problem with the internet is it has helped to dumb down the news.  But it also has exponentially helped give access to all sorts of ideas, inventions, creativity, etc...  It is the problem and the solution.  Damn!
Pages: 1 2