Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Have our draft needs changed ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Clearly if an outstanding player is available in the draft, we take him. But, after our spending-spree in free agency, which positions are no longer a priority ?

I reckon running back is no longer a need for instance.

(And as this is my first post on this forum, I want to say hello to everyone too ! I'm a fan in the UK and only started following the jaguars when they came to Wembley, but already hooked !)
Welcome to jungle! I don't think our needs have changed at all after these FA signings. I think some leadership has been added that will be beneficial to the rookies coming in. Considering the age of our new players they clearly aren't long term additions but rather examples for our rookies to learn from
As far as a legitimate NEED. I don't think defensive end is in near as bad shape as it was obviously. Theoretically, we could skip that position in the draft and be completely fine heading into next season. Granted, Caldwell is a BAP guy, but I think our needs have certainly changed to the point that we won't be forced into taking one at any point.

Quote:As far as a legitimate NEED. I don't think defensive end is in near as bad shape as it was obviously. Theoretically, we could skip that position in the draft and be completely fine heading into next season. Granted, Caldwell is a BAP guy, but I think our needs have certainly changed to the point that we won't be forced into taking one at any point.
I'm with you 100% on the bold. We can realistically go anywhere in the draft and that's a good thing. The interior OL is still a huge need. Another WR and another CB couldn't hurt. Personally, I'd like to see a Safety brought in at some point. I'm not sold on Guy/Evans just yet and a little competition couldn't hurt.
Quote:I'm with you 100% on the bold. We can realistically go anywhere in the draft and that's a good thing. The interior OL is still a huge need. Another WR and another CB couldn't hurt. Personally, I'd like to see a Safety brought in at some point. I'm not sold on Guy/Evans just yet and a little competition couldn't hurt.

Hopefully Thurmond still signs with us and then we won't need to grab a CB either. I agree on all other points though.
Quote:As far as a legitimate NEED. I don't think defensive end is in near as bad shape as it was obviously. Theoretically, we could skip that position in the draft and be completely fine heading into next season. Granted, Caldwell is a BAP guy, but I think our needs have certainly changed to the point that we won't be forced into taking one at any point.

Ditto any position outside OLB or interior OL.
I don't think the draft focus has changed at all.  I doubt they ever intended to take a RB prior to the 4th round and they may still grab a guy if he's on the board longer than they anticipated when they are on the clock. 

The D-line signings provide rotation, depth and some upgrade. None of those signings eliminate the need for a young and talented pass rusher.

The biggest needs prior to free agency remain the same.

Pass Rush

Quarterback

Blackmom Insurance at WR

Interior O-line

These ^  will still be addressed in the draft.  Some of these signings were stopgaps.  A few may turn out to be productive contributors beyond 2016 (Beadles, Gerhart, Watson)  but they don't alter the draft philosophy. 

Lots of holes to fill yet. I don't think Caldwell will alter his strategy much. I'd like to see us look at the OL which may be were the biggest need. After that, receiver and QB in that order.
Before and after FA the biggest needs are the same. QB, LEO, LB, C, WR all need to be addressed in the first 4 rounds. 

honestly, despite having addressed dline in FA, if a good pass rusher or dt falls to us, we should still take one. if not, the latter part of the draft can be used to take one because they fell due to undesirable measurables. can't predict what injuries may occur to the dline next year
Nope. Chad Henne is our starting QB. So yea I think we still need a QB. Plus Oline and LBs.
Welcome to American football.

Our needs haven't changed; perhaps more accurately  you could say our draft priorities are somewhat slightly realigned.

We still need a QB, more O line and a pass rusher.

You're right about the running back, we should be fine there.

Yeah needs haven't changed still need pass rusher. I doubt we have a player who gets double digit sacks in 2014. I still think we draft Rb after 3rd rd. We still have plenty needs. Safety,Outside linebacker,Pass rusher,Wr,Pass catching tight end, Center, right guard and maybe kick returner.
Welcome Andy G!

The signings on the DL absolutely will have an impact of the priority in the draft of certain positions there. Notably in my mind, there are no longer high needs for a run stuffing DE to team with Alualu or a penetrating DT to team with the re-signed Marks. The other positions still have a significant need.
IMO nothing has changed...there is still not one spot on this team that couldn't be upgraded...including our recent signings...

I don't think so. With the exception of Beadles and the possible exception of Gerhart, none of the signings strike me as long-term fixes. Even with Beadles, the team still needs two starting interior linemen, and the Jags will probably take a mid-to-late-round back with Gerhart just as much as they would have without him. The only real obvious difference to me would be if, for example, Bridgewater and Mack are both on the board in one. Before the Clemons signing, I suspect the team might have forced the issue with Mack (not that that would be a bad pick at all). With Clemons and Babin on board, Bradwell might decide amongst themselves to draft the QB instead, and grab a developmental pass rusher later on.

Still want Caraun Reid in the 4th or later
Quote:IMO nothing has changed...there is still not one spot on this team that couldn't be upgraded...including our recent signings...
While factually true that opinion is overly pessimistic. 
Welcome Andy...

My opinion is that the Game Plan in FA would dictate the plan of attack within the draft. I believe that we got all players of need that we targeted. By doing so the selection process of the draft remains BAP. If we had failed to acquire the coveted FA then the draft selections could've been altered.

I'm Sooooooo looking forward to this process of drafting. We have eleven selections to work some magic...

NH3...
The only thing you can really say changed is that we need one less guard. Pass rush is still a huge concern and obviously QB. 

Pages: 1 2