Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Something no one has mettionted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have sighned a few players in  the FA Market. We all need to rember something though. Just because the player is sighnd now doesn't mean he made the team. Still has to pass physcials, and not get cut by the team. I'm just saying the players have to make the team when its time. We could end up still releaseing some of the players we sighned. I'm just saying,lets not count it as having new players yet.

did u see our roster, all the players we signed will make the team lol
if we get Clowney i say Babin will get released
Quote:if we get Clowney i say Babin will get released

Agreed....the only player we have signed that has a risk of not making the 53 barring a crazy injury is Babin if we draft a DE in rounds 1-3.
Yes.  In case were unable to get a starting DE, Babin is there.  But it also makes whomever we draft fight for there spot on the team.  The Jaguars along with many other teams have made that mistake in the past.  Giving a job away instead on making someone earn it (Derrick Harvey, easy example).  Luckily first round picks don't get nearly as much $ on their first (rookie) contract so it plays more into favoring this competition mind set instead of being forced to play and keep a guy cause there is so much cap tied to him (Sam Bradford).  

Quote:We have sighned a few players in  the FA Market. We all need to rember something though. Just because the player is sighnd now doesn't mean he made the team. Still has to pass physcials, and not get cut by the team. I'm just saying the players have to make the team when its time. We could end up still releaseing some of the players we sighned. I'm just saying,lets not count it as having new players yet.

I think you're right Wolfie.  I think this moves us towards Coach Bradley's goal of competition at every spot though.  Even the guys who don't make the final roster will make the guys who do make it that much better.
I think everyone, but Babin is safe.  The Jaguars are building up depth so well.  The energy in EverBank Field next season is going to be high.

Do not count Babin out. Philly traded Clemens when they acquired Babin. Babin and Clemens have a few good years left they need pressure from the middle of the line so the QB can't move up in the pocket, to be successful.
Quote:Do not count Babin out. Philly traded Clemens when they acquired Babin. Babin and Clemens have a few good years left they need pressure from the middle of the line so the QB can't move up in the pocket, to be successful.
This is completely accurate.  And that is why they beefed up the other side and middle of the line.  I think this year we will see a defensive line that the Jaguars fans have never seen before (Henderson and Stroud, the last time our line was decent).  A line that will contain, sack and stuff.  We actually have depth in the D-Line?!?!  The Jaguars have never had this much depth since I can remember on the defensive side of the ball.
I think they will produce better than they have in the past few years which isn't saying a whole lot but I still think it will be a step in the right direction and a lot of fun to watch.

I think Clemons is more on the block than Babin. More productive and both are around the same age. The only advantage Clemons has it that all three years he was with Bradley he had his best seasons with 11 sacks. 11.5 in '12.So Bradley may trust him more. Still of all the guys I think Alualu is the most likely of everyone to be cut. 

Interesting thought on Alualu.  You don't see his named mentioned anymore with backup depth.  So I think this is very possible.

Quote:Interesting thought on Alualu.  You don't see his named mentioned anymore with backup depth.  So I think this is very possible.

I disagree Alualu is back up to Red Bryant. Abry Jones is 3rd string. Most of Alualu contract is guaranteed wouldn't make since to cut. 2014 will likely be final yr with Jaguars though.
Does anyone know how much guaranteed money Babin got? If he's got seven figures guaranteed, he'd be a hard cut to make.

I still think that the guys most in trouble are Branch and Alualu. The downside of having a guaranteed contract for Alualu is that it costs just as much to keep him as it does to cut him, and with all the cap room this team has, I don't think they'll hesitate to pull the plug and go with Red and Ziggy at the five-tech spot.
Quote:Does anyone know how much guaranteed money Babin got? If he's got seven figures guaranteed, he'd be a hard cut to make.

I still think that the guys most in trouble are Branch and Alualu. The downside of having a guaranteed contract for Alualu is that it costs just as much to keep him as it does to cut him, and with all the cap room this team has, I don't think they'll hesitate to pull the plug and go with Red and Ziggy at the five-tech spot.

Ziggy is Marks backup he doesn't belong at End. I don't care for AluAlu as a player but he's safe for 2014.
Quote:Does anyone know how much guaranteed money Babin got? If he's got seven figures guaranteed, he'd be a hard cut to make.

The way the contracts are structured there is no signing bonus, just roster bonuses. There will not be any dead money. So every one of the FA signings could be cut.
Quote:I think Clemons is more on the block than Babin. More productive and both are around the same age. The only advantage Clemons has it that all three years he was with Bradley he had his best seasons with 11 sacks. 11.5 in '12.So Bradley may trust him more. Still of all the guys I think Alualu is the most likely of everyone to be cut.
I believe they both will be successful but Babin will have the edge over Clemens.Babin has 16 sacks in the last two years Clemens 21 sacks. Clemens teams were always ahead and teams had to throw the ball where as the Jags were always losing and teams ran the ball a lot.
I wasn't saying no one would make the team, all I was saying is lets not count our eggs before they hatch. We have seen good players on the team cut before who we thought would make it. All I am saying is the players still have to make it past this years cuts. I'm sure after the draft we will have over 53 players on our roaster.