Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: All these moves, combined with all the picks - feels good.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It is a fun time to be in Jacksonville during the building of this team.  The past few days have been a blast!  Seems like every other time I check my phone, another move happens or someone is signed.  Last year's draft is looking good, a couple key free agents were brought in during last offseason.  Now we are getting solid contributors that are genuinely excieted to be here that are signing this week.  It does not appear that the bank is broken, it seems robust even after these moves.  Next we have more draft picks (in what everybody says is a deep draft) than we have had in as long as I can remember.  

There is a chance we are competitive ahead of schedule... or at least ahead of everybody but Gus and Dave's scheudle. 

Honestly for me Blaine Gabbert being traded was the highlight. It felt like a giant weight was lifted off this franchise's shoulders. No more waiting around hoping he'll improve, take strides and stop fearing pressure. IIn the most respectful way possible, the guy was a stain on this organization.

Quote:It is a fun time to be in Jacksonville during the building of this team.  The past few days have been a blast!  Seems like every other time I check my phone, another move happens or someone is signed.  Last year's draft is looking good, a couple key free agents were brought in during last offseason.  Now we are getting solid contributors that are genuinely excieted to be here that are signing this week.  It does not appear that the bank is broken, it seems robust even after these moves.  Next we have more draft picks (in what everybody says is a deep draft) than we have had in as long as I can remember.  

There is a chance we are competitive ahead of schedule... or at least ahead of everybody but Gus and Dave's scheudle. 

The excitement is contagious, Gus Juice is contagious, I'm proud to be a Jaguar fan.  Time will tell us how successful Gus and Dave will be but I am confident that Gus is the right answer at coach.  I think he has the tools and ability to be a great one and with a little more talent on the roster (appears Dave is doing a good job of that thus far but there is still a lot of work left to do) we will see how much potential he really carries.  He's a leader of men and that is a quality we haven't had in a head coach since Tom Coughlin was here.
Quote:Honestly for me Blaine Gabbert being traded was the highlight. It felt like a giant weight was lifted off this franchise's shoulders. No more waiting around hoping he'll improve, take strides and stop fearing pressure. IIn the most respectful way possible, the guy was a stain on this organization.

+1 it was nice that he went to Everbank field Wednesday morning and said thank you to Khan,Caldwell,Bradley,Etc.
Having a GM that doesn't narrow his selection to clean cut players between the ages of 26-28 is also refreshing.  We passed on a lot of players with great leadership through the prior front office.

As it was stated earlier. Only time will truly tell how well this off-season worked out for the team. With that said, I cannot remember the last time I was this excited as a fan of this football team. This doesn't feel like that one off-season where we were coming off of that play-off loss to the Patriots and we were out signing guys like Jerry Porter and Drayton Florence. When you consider the fact that Caldwell was able to trade Gabbert for a 6th round pick this year (during a year in which most scouts are stating this class is the deepest they've seen in years), and an additional pick on top of that for next year. And we have eleven selections at our disposal. It's very hard not to be excited. Not to mention all of the solid signings we've seen so far.

Beadles at Guard, Bryant, Babin (re-signed) and Clemmons at defensive-end, with Watkins at OLB and Ziggy Hood at DT and Blackmon re-signed at CB are huge pluses for the team right now. I don't mind the Gerhart signing as well at HB. The deals are reasonable and we can essentially get out of them if we need to within a year or two and don't truly have to commit to all of these guys if they don't produce per Pete Prisco. It's good to see that we're bolstering the defense thru free agency. That would lead me to believe that Caldwell will be gearing his draft decisions towards the offensive side of the football.
Quote:+1 it was nice that he went to Everbank field Wednesday morning and said thank you to Khan,Caldwell,Bradley,Etc.
I mean I hope Harbaugh can fix him to like Alex Smith status. I mean I like the guy, but he stood no chance here (not that I think he will be good).

Anyways, this offseason has been like a dream so far... I mean, is this really the Jaguars? Signing players on good deals, getting lots of productive vets on the cheap. I mean we are really shoring up stuff. Even if one or two of the signings stink, they won't all stink. 

I am in a bit of denial. After been told so many years that only losers spend in FA (while we remained out of FA, and still among the loosiest loosers), its hard to admit we are having a great offseason. I still think 'they could be like Porter!' But can they really? We didn't crazy overpay anyone (although Beadles might be an exception). And we signed so many D-lineman, I mean it would be very very unlucky indeed to have them all go down to injury and become completely unproductive.

I mean even the media is calling us the biggest offseason winners? When has that ever happened? People are talking Jags to playoffs again, and they aren't joking! Its so good to get just the vib back man! Its been way too long!
Getting rid of Gabbert had to happen in order to get the fans back.  It lets the fans know that Khan and his staff are serious about moving forward and setting a new bar.  This forum was getting old for a while with the same topics about getting rid of Gabbert.   

Have we ever been more active in free agency?

When was the last time we had 11 picks in the draft?

Putting it together...has me so fired up.....can't wait to see what DC and company has in store for us

in the draft. :woot:
It definitely does. Makes me wonder if I'm just seeing and hearing things sometimes.

http://www.drinkgus.com

Get yourselves some Gus Juice!
All these free agent signings were needed.

At the beginning of last year, we had the most talent depleted roster in the NFL.

This roster is shaping up to look like a proven NFL team.  Gone are the days when people say "Alabama could be the Jags"..  We have gotten much more stout on the defensive line, added some proven pass rushers..  Grab a couple of playmakers in the draft (Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Barr, etc) and this team can be legit.

Quote:All these free agent signings were needed.

At the beginning of last year, we had the most talent depleted roster in the NFL.

This roster is shaping up to look like a proven NFL team.  Gone are the days when people say "Alabama could be the Jags"..  We have gotten much more stout on the defensive line, added some proven pass rushers..  Grab a couple of playmakers in the draft (Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Barr, etc) and this team can be legit.
What has Houston, Indy, and Ten. done in free agency?  I think we def. won free agency in our division.
So how much cap space you think they'll use up before they pull back? It'd be nice to roll over a good chunk to next season as well.
Quote:So how much cap space you think they'll use up before they pull back? It'd be nice to roll over a good chunk to next season as well.

<span>http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/</span>

<span>Edit:  Looks like they are updating the site now  </span>

It's refreshing to see leadership that goes and makes an effort to improve the roster rather than sitting on their hands and money and doing nothing.

Awaits annoying and depressing pesemistic comment.... 3...2....1...
Quote:All these free agent signings were needed.

Agreed!  There are no "home-runs" here in terms of names but these are mostly all good proven football players, some vets who may have only a year or two left and some younger players who have their best years in front of them but they all have one thing in common...they improve the roster.  I'm as excited as I've been in a long time.  Looking forward to the draft to see what else Caldwell has in store.  And then on to mini-camps/training-camp.  Can't wait!  Smile
Quote:Agreed!  There are no "home-runs" here in terms of names but these are mostly all good proven football players, some vets who may have only a year or two left and some younger players who have their best years in front of them but they all have one thing in common...they improve the roster.  I'm as excited as I've been in a long time.  Looking forward to the draft to see what else Caldwell has in store.  And then on to mini-camps/training-camp.  Can't wait!   Smile

With the draft picks, you're looking at close to 20 new players on this team.. most of them (hopefully) upgrades.

Maybe we don't get blown out in 7 out of 8 home games this year?
I was a little skeptical about signing a number of older D linemen, Hugh is still fresh on my mind, but honestly, I don't see how anyone can be in Gus' locker room and not give 100%. If they don't give 100%, I don't see how it will be tolerated. I know we were young last season and a lot of the guys were playing to catch on and lock down roster spots, but it truly speaks about Gus' character that they played hard even starting 0-8. If Caldwell continues to make good trades and drafts smart, honestly, we will finally be back being contenders and no longer the laughing stock

Pages: 1 2 3