Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: North Carolina Hunter Bags Massive 500+ Pound Wild Boar (Photos)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

North Carolina Hunter Bags Massive 500+ Pound Wild Boar (Photos)

A hunter in North Carolina just bagged himself a year’s worth of bacon.

Jett Webb shot and killed a 500+ pound boar on February 28. Webb tracked the beast for well over a month before he was able to kill it.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/n...oar-photos

I wouldn't go at a hog that big with nothing less then my Mosin 7.62 x 54
Back in my younger days I bagged a couple of hogs with nothing but a bottle of beer. The nearer to closing time the better.
Probably farm-raised then 'escaped' into 'the wild'
Could be another hoax. 
Quote:Probably farm-raised then 'escaped' into 'the wild'

Most likely, I've never heard of a hog that big in the wild.

Quote:<div>
Could be another hoax. 
</div>

True, pure hogwash 

Hogzilla was a hoax picture that was taken in a similar way... Guy was standing a few steps back behind the hog so depth perception threw the size of the hog off.
Did they say an 11 year old killed a 1,000 pound boar???????
Quote:Did they say an 11 year old killed a 1,000 pound boar???????
Bare hands.
Quote:Most likely, I've never heard of a hog that big in the wild.

If they find a food source, they can grow to monstrous proportions.   I read recently where an escaped hog was stealing food from a farmer, and another one that was raiding a fish farm.  
Quote:If they find a food source, they can grow to monstrous proportions.   I read recently where an escaped hog was stealing food from a farmer, and another one that was raiding a fish farm.  
Yup, they'll eat anything. They destroy crops and kill livestock. Things have nothing they won't eat or attempt to eat.

Speaking of eating, anyone had wild hog before? I have a couple kids bring me in some from time to time. Pretty good.
Quote:Yup, they'll eat anything. They destroy crops and kill livestock. Things have nothing they won't eat or attempt to eat.

Speaking of eating, anyone had wild hog before? I have a couple kids bring me in some from time to time. Pretty good.

the one I had the meat tasted a little rougher then the usual farm raised pigs. could've been the way it was cooked
Quote:Yup, they'll eat anything. They destroy crops and kill livestock. Things have nothing they won't eat or attempt to eat.

It's usually quite good. Leaner than farmed pigs.

The loin cut is great braised and the hams are good smoked,IMO. I've never met bacon I didn't love, so....

I'm actually planning a southwest FL hog hunt trip in December. Very overpopulated down there.

Regarding the size. They definitely can exceed 300 pounds - though the largest I've seen in FL was around 250 (estimating from standing 30 yards away)

It wouldn't shock me if there are a few approaching 400 pounds out there. 500? Not so sure that's legit.
Pics are photoshopped.   He's behind the pig on both.  Two different guns.  Lighting on his face is wrong. 

Quote:the one I had the meat tasted a little rougher then the usual farm raised pigs. could've been the way it was cooked

I've been told that wild pig has an edge to it because of its diet.    
Quote:the one I had the meat tasted a little rougher then the usual farm raised pigs. could've been the way it was cooked
They do have a different, "gamier" flavor. I typically throw it in the crock put with a little bbq sauce and do it low and slow all day.

Quote:It's usually quite good. Leaner than farmed pigs.

The loin cut is great braised and the hams are good smoked,IMO. I've never met bacon I didn't love, so....

I'm actually planning a southwest FL hog hunt trip in December. Very overpopulated down there.

Regarding the size. They definitely can exceed 300 pounds - though the largest I've seen in FL was around 250 (estimating from standing 30 yards away)

It wouldn't shock me if there are a few approaching 400 pounds out there. 500? Not so sure that's legit.
Definitely leaner. I get a lot of shoulders brought to me. I am happy with whatever they bring.