Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How good would the Jags defense be if we signed Jarius Byrd and drafted Clowney?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
With the addition of Bryant, Byrd, and Clowney.  This D could be a top 10 D easy IMO.  Also with another year with Branch improving.  I am sure we would also add some more parts.  I don't think we get Byrd but just wondering what you guys think our D would look like if we added those guys?

Clowney, Marks and Bryant up front? I'd wet my pants as a QB.

Quote:With the addition of Bryant, Byrd, and Clowney.  This D could be a top 10 D easy IMO.  Also with another year with Branch improving.  I am sure we would also add some more parts.  I don't think we get Byrd but just wondering what you guys think our D would look like if we added those guys?

I was thinking earlier about how Byrd could be our Earl Thomas as Cyp is our Kam. Add Browner into the mix and you really have a stew going.
Quote:I was thinking earlier about how Byrd could be our Earl Thomas as Cyp is our Kam. Add Browner into the mix and you really have a stew going.
You also have to get the pass rusher though.
Quote:You also have to get the pass rusher though.

Yeah for sure. Hopefully we can resign Babin and nab a Dee Ford type in the 2nd. I don't think Clowney will be there at 3 and I can't justify taking anyone else over Bridgewater.
Byrd wants 9 mi. a year.  I think Dave should offer 8.2 mil a year 5 year 41 mil. with more money guaranteed. Have Gus tell him he will be even better in his scheme than he was in Buf. and a huge part on our D.  Dont think we do though

Id prefer Micheal Johnson + Clowney/Mack. Get good pass rushers and let our young safties grow.

I'd rather not spend the money on Byrd.  I know he's really good, but I'd rather spend more money on our O-line.

Quote:I'd rather not spend the money on Byrd.  I know he's really good, but I'd rather spend more money on our O-line.
You would rather spend the 9 mil on Mack rather than Byrd?
With Babin leaving, if we signed Byrd we would still have 50 mil. in cap space.  Also in the next year or 2 we have 2 huge contracts coming of the books in Poz and Lewis.  Poz to make 9.5 mil. a year in 2014 and 2015 and Lewis to make 8.25 mil a year in 2014 and 2015. 

Byrd will be overpaid for what he gives his new team. I would rather it not be the Jaguars.

Quote:You would rather spend the 9 mil on Mack rather than Byrd?
That's not what I was saying at all.  Mack isn't a free agent either.
As scooby doo just said, we would have to over pay for Byrd

If we can't put up points thats all a moot point

Quote:That's not what I was saying at all.  Mack isn't a free agent either.
He got the transition tag, so if we make the offer sheet and Cle. doesnt match he will be ours.  I dont want to pay that much to a center though.
Quote:You would rather spend the 9 mil on Mack rather than Byrd?

If we could get him for 9 mil then YES. Mack is a truly elite talent and would be worth the coin. Byrd is borderline elite but has some question marks.
Quote:He got the transition tag, so if we make the offer sheet and Cle. doesnt match he will be ours.  I dont want to pay that much to a center though.
I bet Cleveland matches.  It's an easy way for them to get him at a lower price.  I agree though, I'm not sure I want to pay that much for a center either.  There are some other good FA centers that can be had for cheaper. 
Quote:If we could get him for 9 mil then YES. Mack is a truly elite talent and would be worth the coin. Byrd is borderline elite but has some question marks.
Other than Earl Thomas, who is a better FS than Byrd?  Eric Weddle maybe?  I would put Byrd over Weddle for our defense.
While the scenario presented would be nice, it's unrealistic.  That said, I'm excited to see the possibility of highly drafted players like Andre Branch develop into decent players,

Quote:Other than Earl Thomas, who is a better FS than Byrd? Eric Weddle maybe? I would put Byrd over Weddle for our defense.

You could add Golston to the conversation. But realistically I'd rather draft a FS and this draft is pretty deep at defensive back this year.
Quote:You could add Golston to the conversation. But realistically I'd rather draft a FS and this draft is pretty deep at defensive back this year.
I agree, was just wondering what the d would look like with Byrd and Clowney.  I think Jimmie Ward will be the best safety in this class, a pro bowler, and can be had in the 2nd.  I am a Gator fan but I dont ever see Evans making a huge impact on this team, hopefully im wrong though.
Pages: 1 2 3