Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The 2014 Offseason Plan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think this year's offseason plan is quite simple but yet it seems to be escaping a lot of people. The release of Uche kind of solidified it for me. The plan this year is to get more solid up the middle on both sides of the ball. We're going to upgrade at the center position. Sorry Mr. Meester but facts are facts. You were a solid contributor for years but you didn't exactly blow people off the ball the last few years. The Jags will sign and/or draft multiple guards as well. The interior O line will look completely different next year.

The LB position is also going to undergo considerable change. Outside of Poz, our LBs are weak. Look for some playmakers at that position to be added to the roster. The secondary got a complete overhaul last year and the same will happen to the LBs this year.

I think everybody's looking outside (DE, WR) but the true changes which will occur and have the most impact on the next stage of this rebuild will happen inside, not outside.

I'm crossing my fingers that the QB position still gets the most significant upgrade this offseason. I've been reading threads about the Henne extension and I have to laugh. His signing means nothing in terms of draft strategy. If there's a franchise QB at #3 in Caldwell's eyes, he's drafting him, pure and simple. Why on Earth would he not? We signed Henne for peanuts in terms on starting QB money.

The pass rush will be improved next year as well but I think that will be due more to Coach Bradley than to addressing that need in free agency or in the draft. Branch is still developing and needs some time. You guys want to fix every problem this team has but you can't address every weakness a team has in a year or two. It's going to take another offseason for the rebuild to be complete and for this team to be in contention for the postseason.

I could be wrong but look for the vast improvements this offseason to be right up the middle of this team. It's weak right now and in desparate need of improvement.
I love improvments and thats what im looking forward to, how it happens im not sure but hopefully it happens in vast amounts. That would be awesome.

The qb position is everything, the sooner we get the "guy" the quicker we can get to the top

QB with the 3rd pick will move us in the right direction
Just draft a QB, any QB with the 3rd pick. Yeah, that will solve all of our problems.

Quote:Just draft a QB, any QB with the 3rd pick. Yeah, that will solve all of our problems.
Bridgewater is the only suitable option at the 3rd pick
[quote name="Dakota" post="146638" timestamp="1394401442"]Just draft a QB, any QB with the 3rd pick. Yeah, that will solve all of problems.

No Thanks!
Quote:Bridgewater is the only suitable option at the 3rd pick
Really that would be a reach.
Quote:The qb position is everything, the sooner we get the "guy" the quicker we can get to the top
Some people say that but a dominant defense beats an elite QB anytime.

Go ask Manning, Brady, and the other high powered offenses that have lost the sb lately.
Quote:Some people say that but a dominant defense beats an elite QB anytime.

Go ask Manning, Brady, and the other high powered offenses that have lost the sb lately.
Those D's were built over years

Look at Flacco, Eli Manning, Rodgers
Quote:Really that would be a reach.
Pro ready,

good-great arm

high football iq

very accurate

Not a reach to me
Quote:Pro ready,

good-great arm

high football iq

very accurate

Not a reach to me
This is the NFL, you are not playing Rutgers and Kentucky which he did struggle against, and his arm is not great and he is very accurate on shorter passes.  All NFL defenses will have to do is stack the box and not worry about him going deep because they know they dont have to worry about that.  Sounds like a reach to me

^^^^

The first line is the only problem I have with your post. I know Mack was dominate, but he in my opinion played against the same level of competition, yet know one mentions it. Yes, he dominated Ohio State, but Bridgewater dominated Florida the year before. Still, both players would be a welcome and an upgrade. Just can't discredit Bridgewater for his schedule and not Mack. 

Quote:This is the NFL, you are not playing Rutgers and Kentucky which he did struggle against, and his arm is not great and he is very accurate on shorter passes.  All NFL defenses will have to do is stack the box and not worry about him going deep because they know they dont have to worry about that.  Sounds like a reach to me
I get what your saying it that was actually the case but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcmIYlilW6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...-yg5vsxbjk

[Image: Bridgewater2read.gif]

Going deep is no issue he has the arm. It will get stronger as well
Quote:^^^^

The first line is the only problem I have with your post. I know Mack was dominate, but he in my opinion played against the same level of competition, yet know one mentions it. Yes, he dominated Ohio State, but Bridgewater dominated Florida the year before. Still, both players would be a welcome and an upgrade. Just can't discredit Bridgewater for his schedule and not Mack. 
it seemed like Louisville had games during the week constantly last year and i would always try watch them to see TB... honestly i never saw anything that warranted most of the hype... at least not last year

IMO the strength of schedule argument only goes so far... i feel like the success to failure ratio of guys in the NFL who come from big schools isn't definitive enough to truly say its an advantage for a college player moving to the next level.
Quote:it seemed like Louisville had games during the week constantly last year and i would always try watch them to see TB... honestly i never saw anything that warranted most of the hype... at least not last year

IMO the strength of schedule argument only goes so far... i feel like the success to failure ratio of guys in the NFL who come from big schools isn't definitive enough to truly say its an advantage for a college player moving to the next level.
Thats when you know you have the right guy. When the things he does so well are so subtle and nuanced the the casual fan doesn't even notice.

Nuances and the little things are stuff that Bridgewater does so well, but most people don't notice it

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures...-dark-dark

Take a read
Quote:I think this year's offseason plan is quite simple but yet it seems to be escaping a lot of people. The release of Uche kind of solidified it for me. The plan this year is to get more solid up the middle on both sides of the ball. We're going to upgrade at the center position. Sorry Mr. Meester but facts are facts. You were a solid contributor for years but you didn't exactly blow people off the ball the last few years. The Jags will sign and/or draft multiple guards as well. The interior O line will look completely different next year.

The LB position is also going to undergo considerable change. Outside of Poz, our LBs are weak. Look for some playmakers at that position to be added to the roster. The secondary got a complete overhaul last year and the same will happen to the LBs this year.

I think everybody's looking outside (DE, WR) but the true changes which will occur and have the most impact on the next stage of this rebuild will happen inside, not outside.

I'm crossing my fingers that the QB position still gets the most significant upgrade this offseason. I've been reading threads about the Henne extension and I have to laugh. His signing means nothing in terms of draft strategy. If there's a franchise QB at #3 in Caldwell's eyes, he's drafting him, pure and simple. Why on Earth would he not? We signed Henne for peanuts in terms on starting QB money.

The pass rush will be improved next year as well but I think that will be due more to Coach Bradley than to addressing that need in free agency or in the draft. Branch is still developing and needs some time. You guys want to fix every problem this team has but you can't address every weakness a team has in a year or two. It's going to take another offseason for the rebuild to be complete and for this team to be in contention for the postseason.

I could be wrong but look for the vast improvements this offseason to be right up the middle of this team. It's weak right now and in desparate need of improvement.

Well Put...

We adressed our issues at the DB and WR positions last year. Apparently this season we'll address the OL, DL and possibly LB positions. I Luv the patience and strategy that Caldwell is portraying. Within the next couple of years we'll have the impending depth needed to seriously contend for the Division and Beyond...

NH3...
Quote:I get what your saying it that was actually the case but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcmIYlilW6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...-yg5vsxbjk

[Image: Bridgewater2read.gif]

Going deep is no issue he has the arm. It will get stronger as well
Gabbert has an incredibly strong arm, DEEP ACCURACY is what matters, watch A&M Duke, then Miami Louisville. Teddy overthrew so many easy TD's against Miami.
Quote:Gabbert has an incredibly strong arm, DEEP ACCURACY is what matters, watch A&M Duke, then Miami Louisville. Teddy overthrew so many easy TD's against Miami.

Its a little difficult to take you seriously on this topic considering your mb name.
Quote:Gabbert has an incredibly strong arm, DEEP ACCURACY is what matters, watch A&M Duke, then Miami Louisville. Teddy overthrew so many easy TD's against Miami.
Don't bring up Manziel, he is not an immediate starter in this league, he displayed poor pocket presence and missed a lot of reads in that Duke A&M game

Bridgewater only over threw 2-3 times on those 9 routes, and there is a reason, He played in the Raiders WCO, the reads went from short to long. His 9 routes and other deep route concepts were often times his last read, last read = very little time to set feet and follow through properly and with velocity, this causes his throws to be off especially since he was taught to throw to a spot 

A side note, Gabbert where has Gabbert's arm and deep accuracy taken him???

Pages: 1 2