Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags and Clay Harbor agree on 2 year deal.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/RapSheet'>Ian Rapoport ‏@<b>RapSheet</b> </a>

<p class=""><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Jaguars&src=hash'>#<b>Jaguars</b></a> agreed to terms with TE Clay Harbor to a two-year deal, per source. Had 24 catches for 292 yards last year.

Not bad depth
Would have preferred a 1 year deal....but meh, whatever. 

The team seems to be running through a string of these "depth" signings. Settling things before the big Free Agency brouhaha.

Happy about this.

Quote:Would have preferred a 1 year deal....but meh, whatever.

Ok even im getting annoyed with your negativity
Another solid depth signing. Looks like we won't be drafting a TE Til maybe late in the draft
Quote:Ok even im getting annoyed with your negativity

Hows that "negative"?, it was said in a very "matter of fact" context. 

I prefer one year deals for players like that? Sue me?? :blink: 
Quote:Another solid depth signing. Looks like we won't be drafting a TE Til maybe late in the draft

I don't see it like that. I see this signing as a kind of "it helps us feel a bit better about the position so that we can have more flexibility when we draft" kind of thing.

They have three TE's on the roster now and they can go into the season with that position, while it won't be a strength, it won't be a glaring hole. Now if a Tight End crops up during the Draft that they really like they can take him and let the competition in Training Camp play itself out. If there is no one at that position that blows their skirt up, they aren't forced to take a guy just to take a guy.

I gives them more freedom to be able to stack talent onto the roster via the draft in my opinion.

Quote:I don't see it like that. I see this signing as a kind of "it helps us feel a bit better about the position so that we can have more flexibility when we draft" kind of thing.

They have three TE's on the roster now, and they can go into the season with that position, while not a strength, it won't be a glaring hole. Now, if during the Draft a Tight End crops up that they really like the can take him and let competition in Training Camp play itself out. If there is no one at that position that blows their skirt up, they aren't forced to take a guy just to take a guy.

I gives them more freedom to be able to stack talent onto the roster via the draft in my opinion.

I agree with this. 

To take the opinion of the other guys' quote would be a [BLEEP] way to approach it. If Troy Niklas is sitting there at the Jags pick in the 2nd or especially 3rd round, they'd be fools to pass on him.

I like this move. Harbor was decent with us.

I liked Clay Harbor i'm happy with this, still waiting on the big "Gabbert is gone" thread. 

Quote:Hows that "negative"?, it was said in a very "matter of fact" context.

I prefer one year deals for players like that? Sue me?? :blink:

I doubt there is very much guaranteed money, so we can probably cut him at any time without a huge penalty. If he does have a good year next year, however, we have him for cheap for a second year.
Quote:I doubt there is very much guaranteed money, so we can probably cut him at any time without a huge penalty. If he does have a good year next year, however, we have him for cheap for a second year.

He's ok. The thing that made me especially want to limit this as a one year deal is the fact that he's coming off of a broken leg. He wasn't all that great to begin with, so I'd be even more cautious with the contract. They probably could get away by cutting him without a huge penalty, but would have been more advantageous as a one year deal. Would Harbor really be in a position to turn it down, coming off a broken leg? Other teams wouldn't be beating down his door....

As said, my context is of that its not really a big issue, but would have preferred a one year deal. 

I like Harbor, and he made some genuinely good plays but I'm hoping he can be relegated to more of a backup move TE at some point. I would love to see us get faster there or maybe I should say, get better at stretching the seams vertically. 

Quote:I don't see it like that. I see this signing as a kind of "it helps us feel a bit better about the position so that we can have more flexibility when we draft" kind of thing.

They have three TE's on the roster now, and they can go into the season with that position, while not a strength, it won't be a glaring hole. Now, if during the Draft a Tight End crops up that they really like the can take him and let competition in Training Camp play itself out. If there is no one at that position that blows their skirt up, they aren't forced to take a guy just to take a guy.

Agree. Similiar to the Bradfield resigning and i like it. Harbor showed some decent hands and chain moving ability and could be effective as a #2 TE so why not keep him for cheap.

Caldwell seems to have a good eye for the lesser known mid level guys and Bradley seems able to get the most out of them. Its a good way to improve the bottom part of the team while freeing up yourself to make moves on the upper part of the roster.  
He is a solid special teamer and backup tight end. I don't think him being on the roster will prevent the team from taking a TE in the draft if one is there.

Quote:I agree with this. 

To take the opinion of the other guys' quote would be a [BLEEP] way to approach it. If Troy Niklas is sitting there at the Jags pick in the 2nd or especially 3rd round, they'd be fools to pass on him.

"[BLEEP]"
Quote:"[BLEEP]"

Yeah you heard TMD! [BLEEP] approach I tell ya!
Quote:He's ok. The thing that made me especially want to limit this as a one year deal is the fact that he's coming off of a broken leg. He wasn't all that great to begin with, so I'd be even more cautious with the contract. They probably could get away by cutting him without a huge penalty, but would have been more advantageous as a one year deal. Would Harbor really be in a position to turn it down, coming off a broken leg? Other teams wouldn't be beating down his door....

As said, my context is of that its not really a big issue, but would have preferred a one year deal. 

No, I think a 2-year deal makes more sense for us.  We have so much cap room, and we'll still have so much cap room next year, that if we want to cut him after this season, the cost would be minimal.   But the advantage is, if we want to keep him, if he really turns into something better than what he is now, he doesn't get to go anywhere.    I see the two year deal as being to the advantage of the Jaguars.  
Pages: 1 2