Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: QB Hurries - Not as Sexy as Sacks but a Prime Indicator Nonetheless
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Everybody gets all caught up with the number of Sacks a Defensive Lineman or Linebacker is able to garner in a game or over the course of a season. Truth be told, SACKS are SEXY, but they don't tell the whole story. Sometimes, a Defensive Lineman does everything right and is just a mini-second late in getting to the QB and is thus denied the QB Sack. Yet, due to the Defensive Lineman's pass rush, the QB has to hurry his throw and that leads to either an incomplete pass attempt or even a turnover, both of which are considered valued stats. So you might say that QB Hurries are under-appreciated and maybe they should not be since they are probably just as important as a QB Sack in terms of their effect on the opposing QB. 

I was somewhat surprised when I found out how well the Jags did in this under-appreciated stat. Perhaps you will be too.

Here are QB Hurries per team for the 2016 Season. Note the Jags are 5th in the League above the Texans and the Broncos, two teams thought to be elite Defensive Teams in the NFL.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats...ries/2016/

Here are the QB Hurries by Player and note the Jags Players and where they rank. It may surprise you. 

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats...ries/2016/

Much like Blake Bortles, Dante Fowler Jr., has been the subject of a lot of disappointment, but if you look at his QB Hurries, he is ahead of Jadeveon Clowney of the Texans.

I am even more excited about the prospect of Ngakoue, Fowler and Jackson, being joined by Campbell and Smoot.

Smoot is a player that it is said he will generate much more hurries than sacks, and if you look at our other DEs, he certainly is in good company.

I don't think these stats are going to be well received by the "He's a bust" naysayers.... Awesome post, though.

Awesome post. I see we added another top 50 guy in that category in Calais Campbell. This defense is gonna be really good next year.
The problem with "hurries" as most people use It doesn't necessarily mean that the defender actually forced the quarterback to make a bad throw. A quarterback hurry is counted when a defender either forces a quarterback out of the pocket or pressures the throw, and does not take into account pass completions, 1st downs, etc.

How many times did the D-Line do that last year but then allow them to make a big QB run or keep the play going and make the pass with scramble rules? I easily remember a number of plays where the defense got a hurry but a big play was allowed nonetheless.

Essentially, neither hurries or sacks are a perfect metric. The truth is in the middle.

Quote:The problem with "hurries" as most people use It doesn't necessarily mean that the defender actually forced the quarterback to make a bad throw. A quarterback hurry is counted when a defender either forces a quarterback out of the pocket or pressures the throw, and does not take into account pass completions, 1st downs, etc.

How many times did the D-Line do that last year but then allow them to make a big QB run or keep the play going and make the pass with scramble rules? I easily remember a number of plays where the defense got a hurry but a big play was allowed nonetheless.

Essentially, neither hurries or sacks are a perfect metric. The truth is in the middle.

I always get confused as to whether QBH is a qb "hurry" or a qb "hit."

Hopefully one of our guys can hurry the QB into the waiting arms of another one of our guys with more regularity next season.
The missing piece to make this a relevant stat: # of snaps.

A relevant stat would be # hurries per snap.

So, if the Texans actually sack Bortles that's not considered a Hurry. 

However, if the Jaguars don't sack the QB but makes him throw a little early, that's a Hurry

Sounds like we're still a day late and a dollar short.

Also, a team can simply hurry the QB by blitzing more.  I'd like to know the result of the hurries.  Heck, I can hurry the QB by rushing 6 defenders but if the QB gets rid of the ball and throws a 15 yard pass, that doesn't do me much good.

Sacks are for winners .....Hurries are for teams drafting in the top 5 that are looking for sunshine in cave of darkness.

The 1985 Chicago Bears Defense had 64 Sacks.  The year before that they had an NFL record 72.

But the 2000 Baltimore Ravens only had 35.  This has been the modern paradigm.

Quote:The problem with "hurries" as most people use It doesn't necessarily mean that the defender actually forced the quarterback to make a bad throw. A quarterback hurry is counted when a defender either forces a quarterback out of the pocket or pressures the throw, and does not take into , account pass completions, 1st downs, etc.

This is the case with Tom Brady.  Unless you can move him off of his release point, he's going to kill you with his under three second delivery.  Seattle has longed for years to get another quality inside pass rusher like Michael Bennett and think they finally found one in Malik McDowell.  Quentin Jefferson was IR'd his rookie year.  I wonder who could fill this roll for the Jaguars.
Quote:This is the case with Tom Brady.  Unless you can move him off of his release point, he's going to kill you with his under three second delivery.  Seattle has longed for years to get another quality inside pass rusher like Michael Bennett and think they finally found one in Malik McDowell.  Quentin Jefferson was IR'd his rookie year.  I wonder who could fill this roll for the Jaguars.

With Malik Jackson and Sheldon Day, I think we're ok there. Did you watch the Malik Jackson highlights when they posted them on jaguars.com? He had quite a few impressive sacks last year.

As for Day I'm a little surprised they haven't even tried to find competition for him, but I take that as a sign how much they must like him.

Quote:With Malik Jackson and Sheldon Day, I think we're ok there. Did you watch the Malik Jackson highlights when they posted them on jaguars.com? He had quite a few impressive sacks last year.

As for Day I'm a little surprised they haven't even tried to find competition for him, but I take that as a sign how much they must like him.

Why do they need competition for a second year player that is a basically the back-up to a top notch starter?  Do you just have that little faith in Sheldon Day? 

BTW - Michael Bennett is still a Jaguar and would essentially be third on the depth chart at 3 tech DT as things stand. 
Quote:With Malik Jackson and Sheldon Day, I think we're ok there. Did you watch the Malik Jackson highlights when they posted them on jaguars.com? He had quite a few impressive sacks last year.

I did not, but I am familiar with his work with the Broncos.