Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Shad Khan: Its time, actually its overdue....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Can we FINALLY put the numbers 8, 71, and 82 back into circulation and let them be worn again?? This has gone on long enough.

The Dallas Cowboys still utilize #88 and that number was worn by a player that won 3 SB's and is in the HOF!!

Its high time the 8, 71, and 82 are worn again. 

Quote:Can we FINALLY put the numbers 8, 71, and 82 back into circulation and let them be worn again?? This has gone on long enough.

The Dallas Cowboys still utilize #88 and that number was worn by a player that won 3 SB's and is in the HOF!!

Its high time the 8, 71, and 82 are worn again. 

I actually agree with this. One is a broke QB in more ways than one. Another is a druggie convict, and the other was a tinhorn. 

It's time for a rebirth!

Quote:I actually agree with this. One is a broke QB in more ways than one. Another is a druggie convict, and the other was a tinhorn. 

It's time for a rebirth!

lol, all those are well, ...true, but those notwithstanding... 

its been over a DECADE since any of those players were really playing their best for us, so why has it taken this long?? Why are these numbers still out of circulation?? Its stupid. As mentioned above the Cowboys don't do that stupid [BLEEP], and they won SB's and have players in the NFL hall of fame with their numbers like 88.... Our players won nothing and never made it to the HOF, yet we keep the numbers OOC for a decade+??? 
In the case of # 71,  I think it would be a mistake to put it back into circulation.   Tony Boselli has an uphill battle to eventually get into the HOF.  However,  he has more than a remote chance to get in.  If the # 71 is used again by the Jaguars,  Boselli's chances of getting into the HOF will very likely diminish.  The Jaguars organization shouldn't give out the # 28 either,  as it would damage Fred Taylor's chances to get into the HOF.   There will be enough numbers available to withhold a select few numbers.
Quote:In the case of # 71,  I think it would be a mistake to put it back into circulation.   Tony Boselli has an uphill battle to eventually get into the HOF.  However,  he has more than a remote chance to get in.  If the # 71 is used again by the Jaguars,  Boselli's chances of getting into the HOF will very likely diminish.  The Jaguars organization shouldn't give out the # 28 either,  as it would damage Fred Taylor's chances to get into the HOF.   There will be enough numbers available to withhold a select few numbers.

I disagree D6. If those players were/ are deserving to make the HOF, what the Jags do with the numbers isn't going to factor in, IMO. They'll make it or not make it based on merit. 

The Jags don't retire numbers, nor do several teams, and players on those other teams still made the HOF - but based on merit. 

In regards to #28...its amazing but its already been 5 years since he's been away. I'd probably even put that back into circulation. I think 5 years of keeping an number OOC is enough of an honor. 

I'm also glad the Jaguars do not retire numbers, as I think teams that do so are lame. JMO. 

-ScrewDrvr-

Quote:In the case of # 71,  I think it would be a mistake to put it back into circulation.   Tony Boselli has an uphill battle to eventually get into the HOF.  However,  he has more than a remote chance to get in.  If the # 71 is used again by the Jaguars,  Boselli's chances of getting into the HOF will very likely diminish.  The Jaguars organization shouldn't give out the # 28 either,  as it would damage Fred Taylor's chances to get into the HOF.   There will be enough numbers available to withhold a select few numbers.
This makes absolutely no sense at all.

"Retiring" any number is dumb, its just a number. Remember the player.
Quote: 

I agree that I do not like retiring numbers, especially in football where they are in short supply, by relative comparison with the roster size. 

Inducting the special players into team "Ring's of Honor" (in addition to any accolades they may receiver from the league, is honor enough. 

Quote:I disagree D6. If those players were/ are deserving to make the HOF, what the Jags do with the numbers isn't going to factor in, IMO. They'll make it or not make it based on merit. 

The Jags don't retire numbers, nor do several teams, and players on those other teams still made the HOF - but based on merit. 

In regards to #28...its amazing but its already been 5 years since he's been away. I'd probably even put that back into circulation. I think 5 years of keeping an number OOC is enough of an honor. 

I'm also glad the Jaguars do not retire numbers, as I think teams that do so are lame. JMO. 

TMD,  I strongly believe that perception can make a substantial difference when it comes to the voters.   If the #'s 71 and # 28 are brought back into commission,  i'm convinced that some voters will perceive that the Jaguars don't view Tony Boselli and Fred Taylor as HOF caliber players. 

Here's the question that I have.   What is the downside to keeping the two numbers out of commission?

Quote:This makes absolutely no sense at all.

In this thread,  I didn't say anything about officially retiring a number.

Your perspective as a fan of a given team is different than the perspective of the voters on the HOF Committee.   When it comes to HOF selection,  marketing / packaging is a key part of the process.    A presentation can be the difference in the minds of voters,  especially considering that they can only choose 5 modern day candidates for HOF per year.    Part of the presentation is how the organization that a player or coach was with when building HOF credentials overtly honors the player.  

If a team like the relatively new Jaguars brings back a number for circulation,   it probably will damage the player's HOF chances more so than if a team like the Bears ( which have been around since 1920 ) brings back a number.    Because the Bears took so many numbers out of circulation,  they have to be more selective than teams like the Jaguars,  Panthers,  and Texans that haven't been around a long time. 

Again,  what is the downside to try to help market players that made a tremendous difference for the Jaguars franchise?

I'm a fan of retiring numbers, and I'm of the opinion that 28, 71 and 82 should be retired at this point. That's it, and I don't see anyone else on the field right now who merits a retired number.

71, 82, and 28 are the only numbers that need to be retired.

In 10 years, the only one that should stay retired is 71. Boselli has done a lot on and off the field for the Jaguars and has solidified himself as Jaguar royalty, in my opinion.

28 should be unretired if Kelvin Taylor is drafted to Jacksonville.

I don't think it [BLEEP] matters.

Meet the new dog, same as the old dog

Does number use on jerseys keep people up at night?  I never even think about it.

According to all these links;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nat...ed_numbers

http://www.nflteamhistory.com/nfl_teams/...mbers.html

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/jax/jaguars.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville_Jaguars

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/jax/

The Jaguars dont have any official retired numbers?

-------------

Retired numbers

Although not officially retired, the number 71 worn by offensive tackle Tony Boselli, the Jaguars' first-ever draft pick, has not been worn since his retirement in 2002. According to team officials the number has been "taken out of service."

------------------------------------------
Quote:According to all these links;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nat...ed_numbers

http://www.nflteamhistory.com/nfl_teams/...mbers.html

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/jax/jaguars.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville_Jaguars

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/jax/

The Jaguars dont have any official retired numbers?

-------------

Retired numbers

Although not officially retired, the number 71 worn by offensive tackle Tony Boselli, the Jaguars' first-ever draft pick, has not been worn since his retirement in 2002. According to team officials the number has been "taken out of service."

------------------------------------------

They don't have any retired numbers. 

Those three numbers have not been worn since their previous occupant. 

For the most part nobody cares. Except some guy who lives in New Jersey and has never even been to Everbank Field. I find that bizarre.
Quote:They don't have any retired numbers. 

For the most part nobody cares. Except some guy who lives in New Jersey and has never even been to Everbank Field. I find that bizarre.
We have the beginning of a new TMD Crusade.   Personally, I think they should remain unused.  Especially 71.
Let me guess. Somehow this shows Khan is a weak owner. Laughing  Laughing

Quote:They don't have any retired numbers. 

Exactly.  This is just the typical "look at me!" thread someone desperately seeking attention would start.  In the grand scheme of things, nobody cares about this.  None of the numbers are retired, and if there's a need, I'm sure the team will use them. 

It's interesting how in most instances, the squeakiest wheels on this board tend to be those who are least invested.

I don't see a problem.

Personally I don't think Brunell was special enough to reserve his number, but Boselli and Taylor should have #71 and #28 reserved at least for a while, they have easily been the two greatest Jaguars up to this point.

Pages: 1 2 3