Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Republicans = Financial Crash?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Really made me think...

Not that it matters you are part of the Trump personality cult, obviously everything will be different and winning.
Prolonged periods of either side leads to financial crisis.  That is how capitalism works it doesn't just grow endlessly.  The housing crisis of 04-07 happened under republicans but was largely caused by democratic housing and mortgage policies.  Both sides are to blame for our failures.

Must be impossible living in such paranoia.

[Image: insanity_by_archvile68-d4jkldc.gif]

Sorry, I can't relate.  I live in reality.

Pirkster you certainly live in your own version of it. Sure the democrats/the left are to blame somewhere
Quote:Pirkster you certainly live in your own version of it. Sure the democrats/the left are to blame somewhere

You perfectly described the deflective stance of the left.  Always someone on the right to blame for the left's failures and ineffectiveness.
Quote:You perfectly described the deflective stance of the left. Always someone on the right to blame for the left's failures and ineffectiveness.

I'm not even left wing, only on this crazy board could I be described as such.

Where did I blame anything or anyone for anything?. I didn't even draw a conclusion from what I posted.
Quote:Prolonged periods of either side leads to financial crisis.  That is how capitalism works it doesn't just grow endlessly.  The housing crisis of 04-07 happened under republicans but was largely caused by democratic housing and mortgage policies.  Both sides are to blame for our failures.

I will never deny the market has been bad in the past with Democrats but it is true that all of the financial crises in American history occurred when Republicans controlled both Congress and the White House. That cannot be disputed.

One of many reasons I am a Democrat is what I learned in American history class about The Great Depression and how America got out of it.
Quote:I'm not even left wing, only on this crazy board could I be described as such.

Where did I blame anything or anyone for anything?. I didn't even draw a conclusion from what I posted.

Pirkster loves to hate Democrats simply to hate them. He will say anything to make all left wingers look bad.
Quote:I will never deny the market has been bad in the past with Democrats but it is true that all of the financial crises in American history occurred when Republicans controlled both Congress and the White House. That cannot be disputed.

One of many reasons I am a Democrat is what I learned in American history class about The Great Depression and how America got out of it.

If what you learned made you a Dem then your teacher should be arrested for Contributing To the Delinquency of a Minor.
Quote:Interesting...

http://thereformedbroker.com/2016/12/13/...ial-crash/

I don't think it means a damn thing.  Financial crises and economic crashes are usually years in the making, and whether the crash occurred during this administration or that one, the factors that cause these things are often completely independent of the political situation.   Of course, blame has to be cast, but very often, it's a long term situation and no one saw the crash coming, except for the usual people who make a living predicting "the coming crash of xxxx".  

I think it's a myth that politicians can cause crashes, or really affect the economy meaningfully.  It's usually natural forces completely outside the control of the political class that cause booms and busts.  In my opinion, Presidents and politicians get too much credit and too much blame for what happens in the economy.  

When it comes to booms and busts, I give a lot more credit to inventions like microchips, personal computers, fracking, subprime mortgage backed securities, credit default swaps, stuff like that.   If the economy booms, the party in power takes credit.   If the economy slumps, the party out of power blames the party in power.   It's like taking credit for the weather.  

Quote:I don't think it means a damn thing.  Financial crises and economic crashes are usually years in the making, and whether the crash occurred during this administration or that one, the factors that cause these things are often completely independent of the political situation.   Of course, blame has to be cast, but very often, it's a long term situation and no one saw the crash coming, except for the usual people who make a living predicting "the coming crash of xxxx".  

I think it's a myth that politicians can cause crashes, or really affect the economy meaningfully.  It's usually natural forces completely outside the control of the political class that cause booms and busts.  In my opinion, Presidents and politicians get too much credit and too much blame for what happens in the economy.  

When it comes to booms and busts, I give a lot more credit to inventions like microchips, personal computers, fracking, subprime mortgage backed securities, credit default swaps, stuff like that.   If the economy booms, the party in power takes credit.   If the economy slumps, the party out of power blames the party in power.   It's like taking credit for the weather.  

The Great Depression occurred after years of Republican administrations.

The Great Recession occurred during a Republican president's second term.

So yes, it does mean something.
Quote:The Great Depression occurred after years of Republican administrations.

The Great Recession occurred during a Republican president's second term.

So yes, it does mean something.

So, tell me what Hoover actually did that caused the Great Depression, and what he could have done to prevent it, and then tell me what Bush actually did that caused the Great Recession, and what he could have done to prevent it.  

You know the old saying, correlation does not necessarily imply causation.   Just because two things coincide, that doesn't mean that one caused the other.   You have to have better evidence than just saying, "Well, the Republicans were in office when it happened."   That's like saying, "Hurricane Matthew occurred during the Obama administration.  Therefore, Obama caused Hurricane Matthew." 
Actually, it makes a lot of sense.

You can't have an economic collapse unless the economy is booming. Republicans cause the economy to boom, Democrats cause stagnation.

Well at least we're safe for another four two years according to the article.

Quote:So, tell me what Hoover actually did that caused the Great Depression, and what he could have done to prevent it, and then tell me what Bush actually did that caused the Great Recession, and what he could have done to prevent it.  

You know the old saying, correlation does not necessarily imply causation.   Just because two things coincide, that doesn't mean that one caused the other.   You have to have better evidence than just saying, "Well, the Republicans were in office when it happened."   That's like saying, "Hurricane Matthew occurred during the Obama administration.  Therefore, Obama caused Hurricane Matthew." 

I know in the 1920s Republicans had a laiziferre (sp?) attitude, believing the government is not responsible for the economy's success or failure. Herbert Hoover got lazy because he saw the economy booming. I don't know any specifics but if this is true (and it must be if you learn it in American history class), only Republicans can be blamed for the stock market crash in 1929.

As for George Bush, anybody who was paying attention during his administration knows what caused the Great Recession in 2008.
Quote:I know in the 1920s Republicans had a laiziferre (sp?) attitude, believing the government is not responsible for the economy's success or failure. Herbert Hoover got lazy because he saw the economy booming. I don't know any specifics but if this is true (and it must be if you learn it in American history class), only Republicans can be blamed for the stock market crash in 1929.

As for George Bush, anybody who was paying attention during his administration knows what caused the Great Recession in 2008.

"Laissez faire attitude" just means he didn't want to do anything.  But that still leaves the question: what should he have done?   That was my question, and you didn't answer it. 

And your answer about George W Bush is a total non-answer.  

You know what my questions were.  If you don't want to answer them, or can't, then just say so. 
George Bush and his administration caused the recession in 2008?  Some of the smartest people in the world couldn't have predicted how or why that recession was going to happen.  There were financial policies in place that neither democrats or republicans were bringing to the table to try and fix.  Banks were able to give loans to anyone they wanted, why weren't democrats worried about it?

It would only take going to the media and talking about it to cause people to get worried. 

The pure ignorance and wanting to blame one party or the other is the dumbest thing ever.  The economy goes up and the economy goes down.  The economy is really high right now, and guess what, its about to go down.....and the left will somehow blame Trump when he takes over the presidency because everyone is a sheep and that's the easiest thing to do.

Quote:George Bush and his administration caused the recession in 2008?  Some of the smartest people in the world couldn't have predicted how or why that recession was going to happen.  There were financial policies in place that neither democrats or republicans were bringing to the table to try and fix.  Banks were able to give loans to anyone they wanted, why weren't democrats worried about it?

It would only take going to the media and talking about it to cause people to get worried. 

The pure ignorance and wanting to blame one party or the other is the dumbest thing ever.  The economy goes up and the economy goes down.  The economy is really high right now, and guess what, its about to go down.....and the left will somehow blame Trump when he takes over the presidency because everyone is a sheep and that's the easiest thing to do.

And the Republicans will blame Obama. 

But I agree with you.  The economy is largely out of the control of politicians.   They get too much blame and too much credit.  
Quote:I know in the 1920s Republicans had a laiziferre (sp?) attitude, believing the government is not responsible for the economy's success or failure. Herbert Hoover got lazy because he saw the economy booming. I don't know any specifics but if this is true (and it must be if you learn it in American history class), only Republicans can be blamed for the stock market crash in 1929.

Lol.
Pages: 1 2 3