Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Draft Plan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dead period in full swing right now, so this is to try and get some interesting conversation going.

What are your draft plans for this coming FF Draft? Ive finished 3rd the past two years in a row. Two seasons ago I lost one game during the regular season only to lose the same guy in the 2nd round. This past year I made the last spot thanks to RG3 playing terrible, he caused the guy in front of me to drop two in a row, allowing me to squeeze in. Both years, Gronk going down really hurt me. Spotty rb play plagued me as well. I plan on the best available rb first pick and then would you suggest the best WR or RB next? Who are some sleepers that can be had in the late rounds? Thoughts on if Tavon Austin and Patterson will be more complete WR next season?
I think both Austin and Patterson will both be better weapons next year. More so Patterson for me.

After picking the best available RB first it really depends who is on the board. If you pick Marshawn and go into your next pick with Shady McCoy on the board then snag him. If Jimmy Graham is on the board, take him. Get the best value you can.

What they do at QB in Minnesota is really going to be the key to how high Patterson is ranked before the Fantasy drafts.  Of course he will be pretty high either way, just because of his potential as a dual threat, and his ability to score on a long play at any time.   I picked him up early in the year, but dropped him half way through.  Did not get him back before his breakout games.

Austin had one unbelievable week, a couple of decent ones, and disappeared for the rest it seemed.  I wouldn't trust him as a consistent starter next year.  This year I'd take Sammy Watkins over Austin, no matter where he lands.

My draft plans are the same as always.  Get an elite QB early and two really good TE's.  I have won two championships in the 8 years I have played, and made the playoffs for 4 out of 8 in a very competitive league.  Won it all last year after I took Peyton in the 2nd round.  Also had the two best DST (Seattle, KC) and the best kicker (Gostkowski). 

In my experience, getting an elite QB is key.  At then end of last year, only 2 of the top 5 starters I drafted were on my roster (due to injuries), but Manning with my DST's and really good TE's starting every week got me the championship after picking up some Band-Aid starters at RB and WR.
I disagree. I won the league last year and not a single one of my QBs finished in the 12 QBs. I don't draft a QB until I have RB1, RB2, WR1 drafted. Even then, I like to get a 3rd RB (by weeks, injuries, matchups, position scarcity) before drafting a QB. You can get two good QBs late in the draft when everyone is scrambling to draft 3rd down runningbacks (while you have 3 startering RBs).

Played in 2 leagues - won one, had the best regular season in the other and only lost 2 games total.

Gotta get a good QB early.  In my case, I had Jughead in both (3rd round).  Next year, I'll go BAP for 2 rounds and draft defense high in the league that scores defense high.

I drafted Blackmon, and would consider drafting a suspended player again.  I just hope the next one I draft isn't such a knucklehead.

I always play 3 leagues on nfl.com, and I generally win at least one of them. Last season I actually did a fantasy league with guys at work and we all put in 50 bucks. I told them they were in trouble because I had been doing it for many years. I ended up dominating them just as I told them I would and won 550 bucks. Tavon has good upside in my opinion but Bradford is too inconsistent to draft Tavon before your first 2 WR's. I wouldn't suggest any higher than that. As for Patterson, the Vikings have tremendous problems at the QB position. Wait to see what they do in FA and the draft before running with Patterson. I always develop my plans at the start of preseason so I can see all the FA pickups and trades and whatnot, and then decide if I think that player is either going to do great with the new team/qb/coach or fail. I generally choose correctly with those players, except for Mr. Ochocinco. What a disappointment his season with New England was. I expected him to do what Randy Moss did. Oh well.

Quote:Played in 2 leagues - won one, had the best regular season in the other and only lost 2 games total.

Gotta get a good QB early.  In my case, I had Jughead in both (3rd round).  Next year, I'll go BAP for 2 rounds and draft defense high in the league that scores defense high.

I drafted Blackmon, and would consider drafting a suspended player again.  I just hope the next one I draft isn't such a knucklehead.

I completely disagree. I was the last team to pick a QB in my league and I ended up winning the league. You can replace a QB with someone on the waiver wire with a good matchup. You can't replace a 3 down running back.
I am on team late round qb. Unless one presents solid value in the mid rounds I normally wait til late.

This year I am targeting RG3 as my late round qb.

My preferred course of action is to draft running backs in each of the first three rounds. The only time I make an exception to that rule is if a player who absolutely should have gone in one is still there, and there are no running backs even close to his value. It's an approach that's served me well in the past. I also tend to be a player for QBs later on, because you can usually find a guy in round five or six who's not too much less valuable than a QB drafted in two. Of course, having Peyton Manning land in my lap in round two last year didn't hurt, nor did drafting Russell Wilson on last-round flyer two years ago, or picking up Cam Newton on the post-draft waiver wire three years back. It's more luck than skill.

I generally end up with five running backs on my team. Two established starters, one or two flex guys, and one or two sleeper types. My sleeper two years ago was Alfred Morris--that worked out well. Last year, it was Andre Ellington. Not quite the same level, but he helped me out during bye weeks and late-season injuries.

Been playing for over 15 years. The first thing people should understand is their scoring system. Crucial. If a QB gets the same points per TD as RBs and Wrs, he should be a priority. PPR leagues. TD only. Yardage. 

Therefore some players arent as valuable. 

This year..I'm keeping an eye on Ball for Denver. Stafford now has Mega and Tate to throw to. Decker goes backwards. The Law Firm will slowly disappear. The Beast is due for an injury. Graham, TE, will not come close to last year. Matt Ryan should bounce back. 50/50 on Rivers in SD. 

But, its all conjecture, and thats what makes it fun. It also makes you pull your hair out...lonnng bomb to Megatron, he's at the 40, the 30, 20, 15, 5..oh and caught and downed at the one yard line. Reggie Bush..1 yd TD run. You have Stafford or Johnson...or worse..both. Its mega beer thirty then   :verymad:  :yucky:  :yes: