Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Danish Zoo Kills Giraffe, Feeds To Lions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pretty wild story, no pun intended. A danish zoo kills a healthy giraffe and feeds it to its lions. After an autopsy the zoo dismembered and fed the giraffe to the lion in front of zoo visitors. I think I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want to be there to see that part, sorry PETA.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/09/world/euro...?hpt=hp_c4

Seems terrible.  I guess I get their line of thinking but if that Brit zoo was willing to take it in it was unnecessary.  

Quote:Seems terrible.  I guess I get their line of thinking but if that Brit zoo was willing to take it in it was unnecessary.  

The lions disagree.
Quote:Seems terrible.  I guess I get their line of thinking but if that Brit zoo was willing to take it in it was unnecessary.  
I see both sides. The biggest argument on the zoos side seemed to be genetics. If that was the case, have the animal fixed.
Quote:I see both sides. The biggest argument on the zoos side seemed to be genetics. If that was the case, have the animal fixed.

Seems like a logical solution to me.  
I dont get why this is an issue. Zoos, parks and reserves kill thousands of animals every year for loads of reasons.

Actually I know exactly why its an issue, its a cute baby giraffe and people are stupid.

The Jacksonville Zoo feeds the nutria to their alligators routinely.  (I know they used to anyway - assuming they still do)

Nutria are considered a threatening non-indigenous species, however.  I don't think we can say the same for giraffes. 

Seems ok to me. In the jungle that's what lions eat anyway(other animals).
Giraffe........The other white meat.

Quote:The Jacksonville Zoo feeds the nutria to their alligators routinely.  (I know they used to anyway - assuming they still do)

Nutria are considered a threatening non-indigenous species, however.  I don't think we can say the same for giraffes. 

Obviously you've never watched a juvenile giraffe gallop down the street while carrying your car stereo.
Quote:The Jacksonville Zoo feeds the nutria to their alligators routinely. (I know they used to anyway - assuming they still do)

Nutria are considered a threatening non-indigenous species, however. I don't think we can say the same for giraffes.

I have never seen nutria here in North Florida, but I did see plenty of them up in Virginia, they've scattered all over the Dismal Swamp and along the waterways from the Chesapeake Bay. Cute but invasive little guys.
Quote:I have never seen nutria here in North Florida, but I did see plenty of them up in Virginia, they've scattered all over the Dismal Swamp and along the waterways from the Chesapeake Bay. Cute but invasive little guys.
Go to any body or water near Southside and Baymeadows
Quote:Go to any body or water near Southside and Baymeadows

I might freak out if I saw one over there.  Those suckers can get big.
Quote:I might freak out if I saw one over there.  Those suckers can get big.
The original rodents of unusual size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOv5ZjAOpC8
Fezzik, tear his arms off!

Quote:I might freak out if I saw one over there. Those suckers can get big.
When Baymeadows golf course was still open, I'd see them just about every time I played.
Quote:When Baymeadows golf course was still open, I'd see them just about every time I played.
Yep. That was the first place I saw them.  They are apparently a major nuisance in Louisiana and that area of the Gulf Coast.  Also in the Northwest U.S.

Interesting note --  the Nutria is more akin to a rat, while the sometimes confused with Capybara is akin to a hamster.  Some folks domesticate the Capybara as pets as they are more friendly.

[Image: tumblr_lu5yhoZRUU1r03kk7o1_500.jpg]
Quote:The Jacksonville Zoo feeds the nutria to their alligators routinely.  (I know they used to anyway - assuming they still do)

Giraffes are absolutely frightening.  Have you ever SEEN one up close and personal?  
Quote:Giraffes are absolutely frightening.  Have you ever SEEN one up close and personal?  
Just at the zoo.  They are a bit intimidating.  
Quote:I dont get why this is an issue. Zoos, parks and reserves kill thousands of animals every year for loads of reasons.

Actually I know exactly why its an issue, its a cute baby giraffe and people are stupid.

I think the reasoning behind it and even feeding it to the lions is fine.  Doing it in front of the public is what drew the criticism.  If they didnt do that, nobody would have known.
Pages: 1 2