Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The #1 need of the Jacksonville Jaguars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The biggest need that the Jaguars has is a rejuvenated and expanded fan base. As a Jax native, now living in Seattle and a "12th Man," I fully understand the Seahawks marketing strategy that comes with the branding of our fans as "The 12th Man." It is has been a rallying point for Seahawks fans across the Pacific Northwest and around the world. There are 12th Man flags on every street, highway, and most major buildings in the region.

Jacksonville is part of Florida's "First Coast" and is also America's First Coast. The Seahawks have proven that the fans are #1, and their enthusiasm has made winning at home an almost foregone conclusion without regard to who the opponent is.

Jacksonville got the nod for an expansion franchise in 1995, in large part, due to Paul Tagliabue's impression of our fans enthusiasm for the Florida-Georgia games, the Jacksonville Bulls of the 1980's, and NFL exhibition games of the early 90's. It wasn't because of Jacksonville's size, extraordinary night life, or being an elite American city...because Jacksonville is none of those things. We got the Jags because of the fans and if we lose the Jags, it'll be because of the fans and their lost enthusiasm/support for the team.

Here's my solution to the problem:

Brand the fans as "The First Man." Take up part of that party deck that's being built and make it into a replica of part of a Spanish Fort with 18th Century Spanish soldiers bearing rifles and a cannon with its men. At the beginning of each home game, have a special guest "First Man" featured, who had made his mark on the City or the Team (such as an ex-Jags player, philanthropist, business leader, native country/rock music star, etc) with a tribute 1 minute video shown on the giant screen. At the conclusion of the video, that "First Man" will be shown as standing in the Fort area and giving the command to the soldiers to fire their rifles and cannon, and rally the fans. Every time the Jaguars scores, the cannon and rifles will fire.

He would raise a flag that bears the Jaguars logo with the words "First Man." The organization can license First Man flags, towels, shirts, jerseys, etc to be sold to fans everywhere. Sell a Jaguars jersey with the number "1."

As for the #1 Jersey, they should have a Jersey retirement ceremony on the very first game for the fans - their jersey - their number, forever more.

My suggestion is that Paul Tagliabue should be the first one who would serve as the opening "First Man."

Here's an example of one of our "12th Man" flag raising videos, which was shown at the beginning of our home game against the Jacksonville Jaguars on 9/22/2013:  http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/vi...ad59c23c6c

The fans need to be galvanized, and this will go a long way towards doing just that.  This will also reinforce the team owner's commitment in keeping the team in Jacksonville, and such reassurance to the fans is indispensable to the team's success in the region.

Take it from a 12th Man, who has seen 750,000 12th Men, Women, and children at the Seahawks Victory Parade in downtown just days ago. That could be YOU someday, Jacksonville.  You don't have to be the biggest and best city in the world, nor do you have to have the most winning record.  The first and foremost need that the Jaguars has is to have the best marketing people and strategy that money can buy, and it will pay dividends on every front in every way.  Take it from those teams, like the Seahawks, who've made it to the top and draw from it.

-The 12th Man.

Can't we all just use 12th man? I mean it was Texas A&M's first anyway.

It may be possible, as the Seahawks organization pays Texas A&M for the use of that brand.  However, being a Jax native, born at Baptist Medical Center and a Class of '87 Wolfson graduate, I have seen the building up of the region's claim as The First Coast.  It is America's First Coast, and home to its oldest city in nearby St. Augustine.  This is half of the reason why I had thought of branding the fans as "The First Man," just as we're of "The First Coast."  The other reason is so that it's not a total copy of Seattle.  Having a certain part of the party deck transformed into a wall of a Spanish fort with some soldiers with rifles and cannon of the 18th century would give it an even stronger, while unique, characteristic of this branding of the fans.  This represents our heritage, roots, and history of the region, which is a significant part of the country's history.  

The First Man...not a copy of The 12th Man, but Better than The 12th Man, and the most important part of the team.

Even if we called it "The 12th Man," it would be better than what's being done now, which is nothing.

So I appreciate your suggestion and input.   :yes:   The 12th Man 

P.S.:  The fans made up the First and prevailing factor that swayed the then NFL Commissioner, Paul Tagliabue, and the owners of the other teams, to vote in Jacksonville as one of the two expansion franchises of 1995.  So, technically, the fans were the pioneers/founders of the NFL franchise in Jacksonville...thus  another reason I called it "The First Man."

Duval Squad

First Coast Fans

'Stache Factory

River City Squad

Doc Tony's Homies

I'm here all night folks.
Why not the "jungle" its simple and Jaguars come from the jungle. Create a jungle atmosphere throughout the stadium
Very nice...hope we can generate a conversation that will reach the boardroom level of the Jaguars organization.  Whatever brand that's used, let it be promoted with a world class marketing effort that will jazz up the fans.  I have posted my idea, maybe someone has a better one, but whatever happens, I hope it works because I'm a Jaguars fan and have an eternal love for my old hometown...so I want the Jaguars to succeed at such a high level that there would never be any thought of moving the team elsewhere...because it doesn't have to.

I appreciate the enthusiasm and creative thinking, MarcPerez.    It's an exciting time for Jaguars fans.  Khan, Lamping and company are showing an aggressive approach to winning over more fans and inspiring them all to buy in to what they are building.  I'm confident we'll see some such campaign (similar to your idea) as the team builds some momentum this season.

Bradley's comments at the fan forum the other evening suggested as much also.  He commented on what the atmosphere was like during our thursday night game when the opposing offense couldn't hear their QB on third down.  This crowd will get behind their team when it's winning and Khan/Lamping will certainly promote that in their own way.  I think there is a core or 35000-40000 fans that are pretty much already "all in" , "standing united' etc.  We just need to put a few thousand casual fans over the top and recruit a few thousand more.    ( just so my words don't seem hollow - I do attend at least one home game each year despite my location)

I just know what worked in Seattle, which included the sale of 12th Man jerseys, flags, towels, and all kinds of other gear and signage throughout the region.  Having a "First Man" branding of the fans with a #1 jersey and a flag with the Jaguars logo and the words "First Man" would be the makings of alot of extra team gear that could be sold and utilized by the fans throughout and thus earn the organization a monetary return on its marketing investment into the brand.  - The 12th Man

Although it's the name of our cheerleaders I feel like "The Roar" would be the best name for our fans. Kinda sums up everything you want it to, doesn't it?

First Fan

Throw in some alliteration for the finishing touch.

It's hard to build a good fanbase when we constantly lose.  The fans haven't had much to cheer for the last few years.  Winning will solve all that mess

Quote:The biggest need that the Jaguars has is a rejuvenated and expanded fan base. As a Jax native, now living in Seattle and a "12th Man," I fully understand the Seahawks marketing strategy that comes with the branding of our fans as "The 12th Man." It is has been a rallying point for Seahawks fans across the Pacific Northwest and around the world. There are 12th Man flags on every street, highway, and most major buildings in the region.

Jacksonville is part of Florida's "First Coast" and is also America's First Coast. The Seahawks have proven that the fans are #1, and their enthusiasm has made winning at home an almost foregone conclusion without regard to who the opponent is.

Jacksonville got the nod for an expansion franchise in 1995, in large part, due to Paul Tagliabue's impression of our fans enthusiasm for the Florida-Georgia games, the Jacksonville Bulls of the 1980's, and NFL exhibition games of the early 90's. It wasn't because of Jacksonville's size, extraordinary night life, or being an elite American city...because Jacksonville is none of those things. We got the Jags because of the fans and if we lose the Jags, it'll be because of the fans and their lost enthusiasm/support for the team.

Here's my solution to the problem:

Brand the fans as "The First Man." Take up part of that party deck that's being built and make it into a replica of part of a Spanish Fort with 18th Century Spanish soldiers bearing rifles and a cannon with its men. At the beginning of each home game, have a special guest "First Man" featured, who had made his mark on the City or the Team (such as an ex-Jags player, philanthropist, business leader, native country/rock music star, etc) with a tribute 1 minute video shown on the giant screen. At the conclusion of the video, that "First Man" will be shown as standing in the Fort area and giving the command to the soldiers to fire their rifles and cannon, and rally the fans. Every time the Jaguars scores, the cannon and rifles will fire.

He would raise a flag that bears the Jaguars logo with the words "First Man." The organization can license First Man flags, towels, shirts, jerseys, etc to be sold to fans everywhere. Sell a Jaguars jersey with the number "1."

As for the #1 Jersey, they should have a Jersey retirement ceremony on the very first game for the fans - their jersey - their number, forever more.

My suggestion is that Paul Tagliabue should be the first one who would serve as the opening "First Man."

Here's an example of one of our "12th Man" flag raising videos, which was shown at the beginning of our home game against the Jacksonville Jaguars on 9/22/2013:  http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/vi...ad59c23c6c

The fans need to be galvanized, and this will go a long way towards doing just that.  This will also reinforce the team owner's commitment in keeping the team in Jacksonville, and such reassurance to the fans is indispensable to the team's success in the region.

Take it from a 12th Man, who has seen 750,000 12th Men, Women, and children at the Seahawks Victory Parade in downtown just days ago. That could be YOU someday, Jacksonville.  You don't have to be the biggest and best city in the world, nor do you have to have the most winning record.  The first and foremost need that the Jaguars has is to have the best marketing people and strategy that money can buy, and it will pay dividends on every front in every way.  Take it from those teams, like the Seahawks, who've made it to the top and draw from it.

-The 12th Man.
I couldn't agree more. I wish Jaguar fans were half as proud as Seahawk fans. Not the ones of today either, the ones before they won the SB. This team and it's fans are nowhere near that.

If the Jaguars fans were called The 12th Man, the team would get 12 men on the field penalties.

#becausejaguars

I like "The Jungle" idea and then you can use Guns N Roses "Welcome to the Jungle" as the theme.

Quote:First Fan

Throw in some alliteration for the finishing touch.

This....."First Fan" that sounds good.
Everbank is the Jungle, our team is the Jags and the fans are...wait for it....The Wild.

First Fan is something the Jacksonville haters will bag on since we have only been in the league a relatively short time.

Glad to see this has not turned into a Bridgewater v Manziel thread. It's still early......I know. Here's a thought......why not make Jaxson De Ville the honorary 12 th man. They could call us........the 13th Man......yeah.......the 13th Man.
Hip Hip …

<span>What team was the last team to win a Super Bowl that had a less than stellar, or unsupportive fan base?</span>

<span>I like the idea, I am all in.</span>

<span>Who is with us?</span>

Pages: 1 2 3 4